A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,512
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finishing Fish Costume  (Read 2014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisaquilts
« on: October 14, 2004 09:34:46 AM »

Greetings Crafters,
I am a newbie, so please forgive any errors in this posting. I am writing to get your suggestions about how to best complete my son's fish costume. I've already made the fish (which I'm calling a Japanese Koi). It iis a three dimensional foam head from either Simplicity or McCall's.

I used satin brocades and gold lame fabrics.

Here's a picture .

The fish sits on his shoulders. I was pleased to have made the fish (the sewing of which was a bear!) months ago. Now that it's finished I don't want to waste the effect by having him wear jeans and a t-shirt. I was thinking of something that could double as pajamas or other clothes. Maybe a long sleeved pj's made out of fleece or flannel (in watery blues, then maybe attach green felt strips to resemble seaweed? Any thoughts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is therapeutic. Long live therapy.
ifoughtpirahna
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004 09:39:16 AM »

Those were my thoughts... Go with something resembling water.  Does his head stay in the costume?  If not, you could paint his face blue, with bubbles going up the sides.  Mabe you could put lillypads on his clothes or something... good luck, love the fish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness,
starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the
negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angelheaded
hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the
starry dynamo in the machinery of night
evaberry
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004 02:07:35 PM »

Of course, if you can find a pyjama fabric (cotton, flannel, wynceyette, whatever) that has a bubble or fish print on it that would be cool... then you wouldn't need anything else. Maybe some "seaweed" on his shoes?

The fish is amazing. I can't believe you had the patience to make that!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergirl
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004 10:14:23 PM »

Lisaquilts, you are the Best. Mother. Ever. I saw that pattern a couple weeks ago and thought about making a...school of them, and re-enacting the fish tank from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life." Then I snapped back into reality...and remembered the Halloween I made FOUR (yes, all 4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for my nephew and a friend's sons. Soft sculpture heads, front and back shells, green jumpsuits. That was a true hell.

Again, I say: you are the Best. Mother. Ever. And I feel your pain.

peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisaquilts
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004 05:25:03 AM »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the encouragement, especially the mothering praise from monstergirl. A must admit, that as i spent the many many hours involved in this costume, I was thinking many many uncharitable thoughts:  "no human child will ever appreciate this costume," "No wonder God made all the animals. This is *really* hard." I had a few other thoughts, but the forum's injunction against profanity and crass language keeps me from repeating them here. Anyhoo, the costume is now finished. I decided to make fish pajamas (so he could get more wear from it later) and I'm also making shoe covers (booties with out the soles) to complete the effect. I was also thinking about adding some more fish , by attaching them with pipe cleaners so they stick out from various points, but hey. . .maybe I'm done.
I'll post final pictures soon.
Take care,
lisaquilts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing is therapeutic. Long live therapy.
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004 10:41:08 AM »

I would love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
monstergirl
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004 02:29:12 PM »

Lisaquilts:

I was thinking, in a year or so you could 'recycle' that fishhead into an Old Man and the Sea type of costume (where your son dresses as a fisherman in waders, etc) and either carries that 'head around with him, or wears it as well (with a long grey beard LOL). Unless, of course, you choose to have a couple more kids to get 'full use' of the costume LOL

Again, you did a superb job on that. And I can't wait to see his fishy jammies as well!
peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Traditional Mardi Gras Food
Make Ahead Gravy
Open-Faced Hot Turkey Sammys
How to Use Up Leftover Turkey
Shortcuts for Easy Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...