A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My boyfriend is impossible to knit for!  (Read 2298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezzyloo
« on: January 31, 2007 10:59:14 PM »

I can't think of anything besides a sweater. And my knitting-ADD is horrid. He might get one for our year and a half anniversary, but I feel bad that I make all kinds of things for other people but not for the person I love the most.

He doesn't really wear scarves.
He doesn't wear gloves unless he's at work (FedEx package handler).
His socks are far too disposable for a pair to stand out.
He won't wear hats except for the short time he had a shaved head in the winter.

He's been talking about wanting a cowboy poncho, but I'm confused and keep showing him patterns, so that's kind of confusing. I want to give him something he can get a lot of use out of and wear often.
What other manly knit options do I have? (I also crochet and sew a little)

His interests:
Superman, Guitar Hero, Gadgets, Apple products (like his ipod and shuffle and  powerbook), Screenwriting (he goes to film school), NC State, moviesmoviesmovies
He's also very mushy and dedicated.

I'm not against an ipod sock, but I'm hoping for a better option!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007 11:16:19 PM by jezzyloo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
landry
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007 11:19:08 PM »

You might want to check out that new Knitting With Balls book. It has patterns for stuff a man might use, like an iPod case.

*edit* LOL - I just posted and noticed that you edited your post to write that you're looking for another option besides an iPod case. Whoops!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flickr photos + + knitting pictures
livejournal + + knitting and other blog-worthy stuff
currently  + + crazy over twinkle's big city knits
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007 01:05:17 AM »

I feel for you *hugs* My boyfriend is hard to make stuff for too. But, I found a way... he's a huge Cincinnati Bengals fan so I made him a crocheted lapghan in black and orange and a pair of hand warmers in the same colors.

I think he was just trying to indulge me though. Still, he won't wear knitted hats or scarves and gloves/mittens are a little beyond me at the moment (I'm just working on my first set of socks now...). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kat Tancock
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007 07:05:06 AM »

Oh, boys are so difficult. I have a pattern for socks with an apple logo that I've been meaning to make, and I think they're from magknits, but their archive is down so I can't link to it for you. The problem with socks, though, is I think some people get hooked on them - and do you want him to start wanting socks all the time? Then you'd never be able to knit anything else. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Canadian Living Online - new crafts patterns every Friday!
http://www.canadianliving.com
AWynkoop
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007 07:16:23 AM »

How about a felted messenger bag? He could use it everyday.
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTsatchel.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would like to swap my knits (or amigurumi stuffies) for your handmade journal...pm me!

The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.~Winston Churchill
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007 07:39:12 AM »

Sometimes some people are really difficult to knit for because they don't wear knit items much. In that case, you might get really hurt if you spent all that time and effort making something they won't wear. How bout making a stuff toy (or several) so it's something he can still appreciate for your time and love spent making it, but he won't have to wear it?  Smiley or a cushion with the superman logo on it. Knitting-ADD sucks, I'd probably never be able to knit a sweater for myself, let alone someone else  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrjunior
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007 07:47:37 AM »

i second the messenger bag idea.  plus you could chart out something to put on it (or borrow a chart from somewhere else)-- you could do the superman logo (ooh, or you could put it on the body of the bag under the flap so it looks like a mild-mannered messenger bag!), the apple logo, the nc state logo, a guitar, etc.  good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not another knitting blog.  no, seriously, it's just a blog.  that never gets updated.
queenoftroy
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007 08:59:03 AM »

don't knit for him.

if he doesn't want what you want to knit, then he doesn't want it.

you don't have to knit for him, (even if you end up marrying him).

you can express your love other ways.

meanwhile, socks are small projects, (comparied to sweaters and what not (smaller even than a scarf) and everyone wears socks.
get some navy or grey or dark green yarn and make a pair of socks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoHunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007 11:04:06 AM »

I second Queen of Troy's opinion, it'd be devastating if you did end up knitting him something which he never used or wore that you put a lot of effort into.  Unless you don't mind that.  I knit my husband a pair of socks two years ago and I honestly have never seen him wear them, same with a couple of scarves, but I don't mind.  It was more like I just wanted to knit something rather than have him cherish the item.  You might find that in time he'll see something he really does want and say "wow!  could you make that for me?". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
berriegrrl
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007 04:17:38 PM »

How about knitting him a guitar strap for his Guitar Hero controller!

I love guitar hero too! The strap the controller comes with is boring black nylon webbing.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTbanshee.html

Im sure you could use a differnt yarn to un-glam it.  Just don't do the fuzzy crochet border and use yarn  thats not sparkly.

Since the Guitar Hero controller is a LOT lighter than a real guitar you probably won't have to line it. Unless you want to, of course:)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007 04:20:58 PM by berriegrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...