A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: oh so pretty beaded necklaces! (new ones on page 5!)  (Read 13171 times)
Tags for this thread: bead_crochet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007 05:08:35 PM »

the blue one is abosolutely amazing!  not to say they both aren't, but i'm partial the blue.

excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007 05:09:45 PM »

thanks everyone! the recipient of the purple/teal one says she gets compliments on it constantly, everyone seems to like them so much!

I think it's so cool that you used a dental implement. 

I've also been scared off beadwork because of how expensive they seem to be.  Do you have a good source?

i actually bought the flossing things to fix snags in one of my favourite sweaters, they work fabulously for that too!

i DON'T have a good source for the beads, unfortunately! the black beads were from walmart and from the stash i'd collected over the years, and the blue beads were all from micheals. i spent about $15 on beads for each necklace (not including my stash)! they'd be cheaper if i were to use plastic beads, but i don't think they'd hang the same way. plus, i'm a bit of a snob sometimes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
autopilotstar
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007 06:21:26 PM »

Those necklaces are great, I love the 'chunkiness' of them.  I love how something simple (or so you say) looks so intricate.  Good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aneesah
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007 06:26:01 PM »

The blue one! I LOVE! Cheesy They really look good tight and close to the neck like that, and all the beads here and there... I still don't quite understand how it's made, though (visual learner, sowwy). Maybe next time you make one you can take extra pics for a tut? ^^ Pretty please?

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
tragicheroine
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007 07:03:53 PM »

Those are so beautiful. The first is my favourite! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SakanaSea
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007 07:16:21 PM »

AAAHH, they're so pretty!! I want to make some of these >_> Too bad I have no moneys! Oh well, yet another thing to add to my list...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007 07:42:54 PM »

Those are awesome.  I love the black and read (my favorite colors Smiley ) and the blue one is pretty too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
whyme81687
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007 08:36:37 PM »

As someone who LOVES making jewelry with beads and LOVES crocheting an equal amount the combination of the two just makes my day! I'm gonna have to try this sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007 08:17:08 AM »

Oh cool! I posted a pic of one the ones I've been making in this technique, only mine are more delicate. They end up with about five strands, and a small bead every ten or twelve chains. I use those foldover crimp-type findings on the ends. I never thought about putting the beads so close together or so many strands. How many strands are yours, like ten or twelve, maybe?

I love love love the first one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007 08:35:12 AM »

all the beads here and there... I still don't quite understand how it's made, though (visual learner, sowwy).

This is how I think it's done from her beautiful pics and her description:
1. String a whole bunch of beads onto your crochet thread, leaving it still attached to the ball.
2. Chain one.
3. Slip a jump ring onto your thread; it should be big enough that you can slip it over the end of your hook and down onto the working thread. Slide the jump ring all the way up against your hook, but not on the hook-- just on the working thread. Chain one. That should fasten the jump ring in place.
4. Slide up a bead next to your hook, just like you did the jump ring. Chain one. That should fasten the bead in place; it should be on the one strand on the underside of the chain stitch; the two loops that make the top of the stitch should be visible on top.
5. Keep doing this, sliding up a bead and chaining. Every so often just chain without sliding up a bead. Whenever the necklace is as long as you want it, put on another jump ring and crochet it into place. There should be a jump ring at the end of every strand of the necklace.You'll have to keep holding the necklace up to see when it's time to add a jump ring.

Another way would be to crochet as long as it needs to be to make the multiple strands, then fold it into shape, then work a jump ring or piece of wire through all the ends and wrap a loop to close it, then slip a cone over it, then add the findings. My necklaces don't have so many strands, so I'm able to crimp the ends together after folding it and add fasteners to the crimps.

HTH until/if she gets a chance to put up pics of the process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Create A Fake Short Bob
Reverse Hair Damage with Your Diet
How To Manage "2nd Day" Hair
How to Style Half Up Prom Hair
Fashion Phenomenon: The Colourists’ Bar
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...