A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterflies and Fruit (?!) Pleated Tote (Now with Tutorial!)  (Read 56007 times)
Tags for this thread: pleats , tote , tutorial , butterfly  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lunanne

Being organized interferes with my creativity.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007 11:58:34 AM »

Very great bag! And that fabric is so cute!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Warning: Wisting can be addictive...

...so does Pinterest-ing!
butterflie

Rambunctious & Machismo, my chilluns

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007 12:21:01 PM »

I love that fabric! Mind sharing where you got it? You turned it into a beautimous bag - good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna swap ATCs? PM me!!

My wistlist: http://www.wists.com/butterflie

Green Glass Door ATC Swappe! Join it! You know you want to! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=156704.0
PoutyPegasus

The wind beneath my wings

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007 04:40:19 PM »

Really cute and I love the colors  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bouncyflea
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007 07:07:48 PM »

Thanks guys <3 You rock!

I love that fabric! Mind sharing where you got it?
I got it from Spotlight, which is a chain of craft stores here in Aust. That's not very helpful for the rest of the world, I'm sorry Sad

Lovely design.  Would you mind posting a tut  for us new in the field?
I can do that! I'll try to post it in the next couple of days Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflie

Rambunctious & Machismo, my chilluns

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007 07:43:04 PM »

Australia! How awesome. Bet you've got one of those fantastic accents. (Sorry, I'm a dork!  Roll Eyes) Thanks for answering my question, even if it didn't help me any.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wanna swap ATCs? PM me!!

My wistlist: http://www.wists.com/butterflie

Green Glass Door ATC Swappe! Join it! You know you want to! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=156704.0
zimfreak
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007 11:36:06 PM »

Too cute Smiley  It's so friendly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><tr style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: none"><td colspan="3" style="padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; vertical-align: middle; border-bottom: no
rocketqueenmch
Don't Auto Exit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007 01:13:36 AM »

wow the bag is really pretty! I am excited about making a pleated bag - I've been doing simple totebags and I want to move 'up' a little bit  Grin *waiting for your tutorial*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarah11mousa
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007 04:16:53 PM »

This is so cute! It'll be great for the summer, all the happy colors ^_^ The pleats are so pretty, great job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
overcastweather.ets y.com
gilgamesh
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007 08:51:03 PM »

very pretty! congrats on almost finishing uni as well. making bags now seems like a great way to spend Waitangi Day....hmmm....  Wink the pleats rule!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lisa: "You've fallen through the cracks of our quick-fix, one-hour photo, instant oatmeal society!"
bouncyflea
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007 01:10:21 AM »

The tutorial continues!

SECOND, THE LINING

1. Cut out your fabric
There are only two panels for the lining, but they'll be a funny shape to match the outside. The easiest way to figure out that shape is to just trace around the outside of the bag, making sure to leave a seam allowance:

However, make sure that the top part that will be the lining next to the yoke is  33cm by 9cm (like the yoke), or you'll have trouble assembling the bag later.

Cut this first panel out, and then trace around it to make your second panel.

2. Add pockets as you like
There are a lot of great pocket tutorials here on Craftster; sushimifune's zippered-pocket tute, angelbum's slash pocket or the pocket instructions in gloriana's messenger bag tute.

3. Sew the lining together
Like you did with the outside, pin the two panels together with the wrong sides facing outwards. However, this time when you sew it, you need to leave a hole in the bottom that's big enough to turn the whole bag inside-out through.

4. Attach the closure
Plonk a magnetic clasp into the lining, or sew in some velcro, or do whatever else takes your fancy, and we're good to go.

THIRD, THE STRAP
Making the strap obviously isn't hard, but it's a bit annoying. Cut two strips of fabric as long and as wide as you want the strap to be. Mine were about 125cm by 6cm. Put them together right sides in and sew all along the long sides, and then turn your tube inside out (this is the slow and annoying bit; a chopstick or something might help the job along).

FOURTH, PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
This is the part that always confuses me. But I hope it's clear!

1. Put the strap in
First, the strap. I do not attach the strap the way most people seem to attach their straps; if you prefer the other method, that will work too. I sew the strap into the inside of the outside part of the bag before I put the lining in, so that I can see what's going on. Pin it in first like this; I put in about 8cm of strap:

From the other side, it will look like this (whoops, ignore my shoddy workmanship):

Now, important thing is to fold the top edge under before you sew it to the strap, like this:

I sew the strap into the bag with a rectangle with a cross in the middle, to make it as strong as possible:

2. Put the outside and the lining together
Put the outside of the bag inside the lining. The good sides should be together. That is, the good side of the outside is facing outwards, and the good side of the lining is facing inwards. The strap should be in between them (don't leave it sticking out, or your bag will explode!). Line up the top edges and pin them like this:

And then sew around most of that, but skip the area around the straps. That is, you'll leave a hole in each corner.

Turn the whole thing inside out through the hole you left in the bottom of the lining. You can sew up that hole now. Then push the lining into the bag. You're almost finished! It should look like this:

Fold the lining down against the straps like this and pin it:

Then sew all the way around the top edge of the bag like this (hopefully you will be better at sewing in a straight line than I am):

Sew in all 4 million lose threads... and it's done! Just remember to pin on all your emo badges or you won't be scene Cheesy

I hope these instructions are easy to understand; feel free to ask for clarification or make suggestions if you like Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007 01:21:36 AM by bouncyflea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Match Curly Hair to a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Curly Hair to a Square Shaped Face
How to Style Thick and Wavy Hair to a Long Face
How to Style Coarse and Textured Hair to a Long Face
How to Match Coarse Textured Hair with a Square Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...