A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first attempt at Bargello*** HUGE Bead Making Tutorial Added***  (Read 22321 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 30, 2007 05:46:38 PM »

Two and three color Bargello canes.  The canes ended up very small and plan on aiming larger next time.

Choker with chunky beads.

Rounded rectangle chunky bead.

Bead slightly turned, see how the pattern from front to back "blend" together?

Pink round and square shape beads.  What do you think?

First you decide how big you want your beads to be by rolling out your scrap clay (from making the canes), in your pasta machine.  With a small cutter I keep beads same size.  I think the thickness I decided on was medium setting.  Roll up into balls....

I put ball in middle of thinly sliced cane and fold over my corners to meet in the middle of other side.  That accidental "star" shape!!  Handle your bead gently not to distort your cane slice.  I join all my corners carefully.

You will see it is square shape slightly, but gently pushing the corners flat then rolling you will create ball shape.  Some of my beads at this point I flattened that square shape bead a little flatter, made some cool diamond shapes.

I start hole with needle tool then I make larger with crochet hooks.  

Nothing goes to waste, I take my reject slices and put to good use with this small cutter.  My cane slices are thin, so I cut out some scrap clay (thin setting) and made front and back for "flat" beads.

These needles came with the bead rack.  I pick up slices with needle keeping needle sandwiched inbetween.

This is a brass embossing stencil. I "found" this technique goofin around.  This technique requires thicker slices of the cane.

Because of the pattern of this cane, I decided on square shape.  You place stencil on top of slice (my slice is slightly wider than the square cut out on stencil) with round tip stylus tool, you press around (firmly and evenly around) and you will see the slice start blowing up, I LOVE THIS!!  Just like a bubble.  If you look at my stencil carefully you will see a channel like groove from all the pushing of tool around the square, I find it keeps me right where I need to be with more use.   Wink  

When it is bubbled up as much as I like, I take my clay blade and cut flush with stencil.  Your cut will have a bowl shape on the other side and this is the inside of the bead.

with insides up, I take a needle and pick up one slice (sticks right to the needle for me) flip it over and place on top of other "bowled" slice.

Keeping bead on needle helps from handling too much.  I slightly press my sides together, top and bottom.

I heal my seams with needle, rolling up and down. I of course do not do this one handed, this pic sure makes me look like a multi-tasker lol.  Cool

With my heart shaped stencils and more reject cane slices stacked on top of more scrap clay, then stencil pressed.  This time the back will be scrap clay.  

I used figure 8 shaped wire loops, dot with liquid sculpey, lay on your stencil pressed cane heart "fronts".  I gently handle and use needle tool again to heal seams.  After I leave these set for a while, I take needle tool and hold it in the eye (to hold it still) and gently pet the "bubbled" beads by petting one way, removes any fingerprints before baking.

A pic of my trusty bead rack.  I bake all beads with needles and hooks left in them. I baked my hearts lying flat on index card.

Here is finished heart earings. Reject cane slices always end up being my favorite Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010 02:51:46 PM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007 06:18:32 PM »

what are Bargello canes? I've never heard of that. But it looks awesome.

Is it like a clay?
Edit: lol i just realized which forum this was in. I found it in the recent posts.

do you cook it in the oven?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 06:20:40 PM by hotty_blond2000 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 06:25:10 PM »

Bargello is a technique.  Funny story, I seen them do it with construction paper on DIY channel, and did a search and found some free tutorials for making these clay canes.  I used Kato clay.  Under the chunky beads is scrap clay.  You cover with cane slices.  Thank you very much on your compliments hotty_blond2000.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007 06:34:09 PM »

Oh my gosh THEY ARE GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The colors and the blending are perfect!
I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007 06:36:09 PM »

Once again I am awed at your clay skills....
Did it take long?
Can you share the link?

Did I tell you they were gorgeous?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
SupernovaDesigns
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007 07:06:43 PM »

wow i've never even heard of this cane. not that it matters because canes are the devil as far as i'm concerned lol. they are gorgeous though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007 07:09:29 PM »

Thank you very much Kaleesi, it did not take long, and my first try was a success (I think anyway).  Here is a link for bargello canes:  http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/bargello.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 07:15:14 PM by beadizzygrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 07:14:16 PM »

Thank you SupernovaDesigns.  For some reason I love intricate.  Glutton for punishment maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina

Cruisin Status
Eat, Sleep, Breathe Art

Cruisin Status

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 08:38:49 PM »

That is absolutely SWEET ! I am in LOVE with the pink bracelet !!!
I used to make fimo beads on Dead tour...so fun.
Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007 08:59:52 PM by Bela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Memory, prophecy and fantasy- the past, the future and the dreaming moment between- are all one country, living one immortal day. To know that is Wisdom. To use it is the Art." ~ Clive Barker
purplexime
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007 05:52:33 AM »

Great job!
I love the beads, the colors, everything.
How did you make it? 
Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katy Perry Makeup Tutorial
How to Conceal Dark Circles
5 Ways to Hide Your Flu Face
Why This Woman Has To Shave Her Face At Least 2 Times A Day
Why This Woman Lets Her Underarm Hair Grow Free
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...