A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 308,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tricks to keep jack-o-lanterns fresh?  (Read 4832 times)
Tags for this thread: pumpkin , pumpkin_carving , jack_o_lantern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zagster
« on: October 13, 2004 01:15:37 PM »

last year my pumpkins withered away within a week. Sad

i've heard of several tricks of the trade to make jack o lanterns last longer, so i was wondering what personal experiences you guys have. what works and what doesn't work? i've heard greasing the cut parts with vasaline, soaking the finished jack o lantern in salt water... ?

help! i love to carve pumpkins, but i want my hard work to last more than a week!

oh, and here's last year's project. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AllieStar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004 01:59:17 AM »

i've been hearing/reading alot about rubbing vaseline on them, so i'm gonna try that this year and hope it works!

btw - i love your pumpkin from last year! it's beautiful! did you use a pattern.. or how did you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
deadpixel

Even Lois Lane loves Edward G. Robinson.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004 01:01:07 PM »

i soaked mine in salt water and lemon juice, but i can't say if it worked because i went away for a couple weeks right after.  hmmmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can see a lot of the world from railings."
- Ringo
zagster
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004 05:07:19 PM »

i've been hearing/reading alot about rubbing vaseline on them, so i'm gonna try that this year and hope it works!

btw - i love your pumpkin from last year! it's beautiful! did you use a pattern.. or how did you do it?
yeah, it was a pattern, so it's not terribly impressive. but i did carve it all with one stupid dull kitchen knife!

i will try the vaseline this year. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CarlForPrez
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005 12:28:13 PM »

I put my in the fridge when they are not on display. Actually last year after halloween one stayed in my fridge and I had it there till I left to go home for christmas! So yea, putting them in the fridge def. works:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jess70
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005 01:07:11 PM »

I heard that if you spray the inside with wd40 that they are supposed to last longer.  Don't know if it works,  we just usually carve two days before so it's not an issue.  One year I think the squirrels or something at my damn pumpkins. I was NOT HAPPY! Good Luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..)) -::-
. .))    -::-  
((. . -::- -::-  -::- -::-
((.  .     Jessica Lintott   -::- 
-::- ((. -::- -::-  -::- -::-

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogs
Ezri_B
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 02:23:00 PM »

Well, if you are going for a really intricate pattern, you can get a funkin pumpkin. They last forever, not cheap, but last forever.

If you want real what I do is carve them, then dunk them in a clean garbage can full of water over night. (put it in the water right after carving!) I then drain them and put it in the fridge, occasionally spritzing with water if needed. When I'm putting them out I grease all exposed places with vaseline. If you want them out more than one night dunk them again over night.
I've had mine last over a month like this. You don't want them to freeze though. They will turn to mush. If you have a frost at night take them in and soak them or put them in the refrigerator. If you don't have room in the refrigerator, keep them soaked, but change the water every day or you'll get mold and stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 04:58:13 PM »

I have never noticed the vaseline working any more, although I use it every year.  I might try the dunking, my problem is I want to keep it out and i forget to bring it in the night and in Texas itis still hat here at Halloween most years, I did have a friend put hers int he fridge each night and hers did good, that just seems like to much work dunking and cooling it every night, although I will carve one earlier than normal this year so I will try that, but I also normally carve 10 or 12 a year so  yeah, that is alot of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
silverbitch
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005 05:06:08 AM »

;Dthat pumkin carving was superb!!!! where an earth did you get sally she is beautiful.as for tricks to keep the pumpkin fresh, spray  it all over with hair spray, the same helps to stop pine needles from xmas trres from dropping off
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hugs-n-bugs
I'm better than Martha, well almost.

Have glue gun, will travel...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005 06:42:00 AM »

Do you spray the cut areas, or the whole thing or the inside?Huh  I have never heard of hairspray but it kind of makes sense.

you ever wonder how somebody stumbles across some of these ideas Like spraying WD-40 or hairspray and vaseline, I mean, what was a person thinking who first tried it out???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for fellow craftsters to share ideas with!
http://www.myspace.com/giggles1100
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...