A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please help me with sewing elastic!!  (Read 591 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoopedyLoop
« on: February 07, 2007 06:58:17 PM »

Hello there Smiley I have a sewing machine and took an intro class a while ago so I kinda know what's going on but not especially!

I want to make a wrist cuff for my 8mo old daughter to chew on (think scrunchy but not tacky, thicker, and not wrinkly). I just want to be able to slide it over her hand and maybe have some batting in the cuff. So I tried to sew something together tonight with elastic, batting, and two strips of fabric but it doesn't stretch once I sew it?

I know I must be doing something COMPLETELY dense here. Do I need to stretch out the elastic while I sew so it can bounce back? If so, how in the world do you do that? And would I sew the elastic into the fabric? I'm so confused!! And I can't find any tips on google b/c it's kind of a weird project.

Any tips at all would be welcome Smiley

Thanks a bunch,
Jenny
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007 07:13:11 PM »

I would sew it like this:  Make a fabric ring, like a scrunchie, (right sides together, leaving an opening for tunring) - maybe twice the size of your daughter's wrist.  Once you turn it right side out, insert the elastic so that it is the same size as your daughter's wrist plus 1 inch.  Insert it through the opening in the ring and bring both sides of the elastic together and stitch.  Then sew up the opening in the fabric. 

If you're just wanting to sew the elastic to the fabric, use a zigzag stitch and stretch the elastic as you're sewing.  This will make the fabric 'expand' when you stretch on the elastic.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopedyLoop
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007 07:18:30 PM »

Stacy, that is a huge help! Thank you so much Smiley If I can bother you for one more question... how in the WORLD do you use double bias tape? 

Jenny Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyno
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007 07:20:21 PM »

yeah, what stacysews said. Smiley

you might want to pre-wash the fabric (or the final band) a couple of times before letting your daughter chew on it. sometimes they coat the fabrics with a lot of chemicals. one of the places I buy from said the companies use formaldehyde to preserve the fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoopedyLoop
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007 07:23:17 PM »

Dyno - Thanks for the tip! I had read somewhere before about the coating so I washed it twice earlier. It's crazy what they do the preserve stuff, huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007 07:32:04 PM »

Double fold bias tape has two finished lengths - one side is going to be slightly longer than the other.  Open up the bias tape and slip your fabric inside with the longer side on the bottom.  With the shorter width of the bias tape up, sew close to the finished edge.  Make sure that your fabric is carefully sandwiched in the tape!  When you sew, you're sewing both sides of the tape to you fabric making a nice finished edge! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

washu
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007 07:58:58 AM »

I would tackle it in the manner Stacysews recommends, but I'll also add that if you sew through elastic, that will reduce the stretch.  So yes, if you are sewing the elastic itself, you need to stretch it while you sew. 

Good luck!

K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Elevator Makeover - Getting a More Flattering and Fit Look for the Office
Chioma Nnadi on Her Summer Denim Trend
Our Top Picks From Isabel Marant for H&M
GQ Fashion Week Report in Milan
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Brittany Balyn
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...