A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thermal from Knitty  (Read 60426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lolo
« Reply #400 on: October 13, 2007 07:50:44 AM »

I just started the thermal in cascade fixation and I swatched on size 2, 4 and finally US 6 needles to get gauge.  I'm actually making size B (when I planned on size A) because I still didn't get gauge exactly and but I didn't want to go up to US 7 or 8 needles. 

I know I generally knit a little tight, but it seems ridiculous to me that I'm using size 6 (4 mm) needles!  I feel like I must be doing something wrong, but I've checked it over and over again.  Think it's just because fixation is so stretchy, so it's easier to knit tighter?

I can't wait to get through the twisted rib so I can start on the endless waffle stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

issadee
« Reply #401 on: October 13, 2007 09:20:10 PM »

thanks tinybits Smiley
I just bought the yarn, and then realized - holy crap, I'm making my first sweater in fingering weight!  Shocked

I'm thinking of adding some shaping. Has anyone done this?

Oh, I have another question. When I join there are sometimes ladders. I've heard of tricks such as added an extra stitch and then k2together, and also knitting the first few stitches with both the end of the old yarn and the new yarn held together. What has worked best for you to make a seamless join?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007 09:24:51 PM by issadee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #402 on: October 13, 2007 09:36:58 PM »

pra
Oh, I have another question. When I join there are sometimes ladders. I've heard of tricks such as added an extra stitch and then k2together, and also knitting the first few stitches with both the end of the old yarn and the new yarn held together. What has worked best for you to make a seamless join?

Practice.  Really.  You don't need to go through all that trouble if you practice and find the right tension.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinybits
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafty Monster Strikes Back

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 13, 2007 11:19:20 PM »

for the first round when you join you might want to tuck the yarn a bit more  than usual and do that for the couple of rows but once you have good 3 rows or so on your needles joined stitches will look ok. and for the ladders there is no need to worry about them, yes they look a bit weird on your needles but once everything finish and they are off the needles they will be invisible..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeysuckle
« Reply #404 on: October 15, 2007 05:54:14 AM »

Hi, can I jump in with my Thermal? now that I'm almost done with it  Grin
I'm using a different yarn, because I can't get Knitpicks here, and 3 mm needles. I had to adjust the stitch number to work with my gauge, but I didn't make any other changes.

This picture was taken a couple of days ago, I finished shaping the back neckline and shoulders and I'm about to start the left front.
I just wanted to thank neekie for the instructions on how to do the armhole/neckline shaping at the same time, the pattern was just too confusing for me.

Good luck to everyone with their Thermals!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and then you're everybody's satellite

http://honeysuccle.blogspot.com/
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2007 06:56:53 PM »

Pretty color! Looking nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #406 on: October 16, 2007 11:52:05 AM »

I've started my thermal vest for my mother.
but before I got to the good part, I did a very very very large swatch. Like, I cast on 176 sts and started the (what I thought was) actual vest. I knit to the end of the first ball. Nope, wrong, it would not fit my mother in any cirumstances.  it was 32" on a good day, where as she is 38-9" on a good day. And she doesn't want it tight. It turned out I thought my gauge was 5stsper inch, but it was 5.5 per inch. Opps!
so now i cast on 208 sts. Does 792 yards of dk weight yarn sound like enough yarn for the vest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angipants
B-L-O-N-Duh!

Angi-pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: November 03, 2007 03:52:56 PM »

Finally finished Thermal!  I have been hovering on this string for a while watching everyone else progress and finish theirs.  I actually started Thermal around Easter, but didn't finish it until September.  It turned into my lunch knit and that slows things down sometimes.

I added a button to the collar band, and did some short-row shaping on the sleeve cap to add a bit of length and somewhere for my pointy shoulders to go.

I used Knit Picks Gloss in Cocoa.  The yarn is a bit pilly not that I have worn the sweater a few times, but it is very soft, and not the least bit itchy with the silk. I love the buttons I found.  They have gold glints to them, and depending on how the light hits them, they go from a sparkly brown to a deep cocoa.

All in all I am very pleased with this sweater and have 2 requests from friends for one.  I ordered some Gloss in Dusk for another sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 03, 2007 09:25:43 PM »

oh it looks great! I haven't been able to work on mine for the past month due to a series of unfortunate events... or just one unfortunate event, my duplex burned down and although alot of my yarn was damaged by smoke i held on to my almost finished thermal and i'm going to finish it and wash it and hope i can get the smoke smell out of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
Angipants
B-L-O-N-Duh!

Angi-pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: November 04, 2007 11:06:52 AM »

The best way to get rid of smoke is to use either Vinegar or Baking Soda.  I think they even make a baking soda fabric soap now.  Sorry to hear about your duplex.  I hope the important stuff was okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Meatball Shop’s Classic Meatball Recipe
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken
Monte Cristo Burger Recipe
Turkey Burgers with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Everything You Need For the Perfect Super Bowl Spread
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...