A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thermal from Knitty  (Read 59647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2007 07:48:26 PM »

I'm like you erika, never use the same yarn and I prefer a larger needle size for sweaters, I knit a sample of the pattern and figure out how many sts/inch I get, and know how many inches I need and multiply them together for the number of stitches. Then I see if the pattern has a size with a stitch number that's close to what I need and use that size as a guide. For lengthwise adjustments, I use what I need to fit my own body. I'm fairly tall, but have a short torso and long arms. I knit by tape measure....  Cool

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
craftykt
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2007 09:38:00 PM »

heres my progress so far...

Knitpicks Gloss in Woodland Sage on #2 (3mm) Knitpicks circs...I decided to knit the 34...we'll see how that idea works out!  Like someone else already said, I would rather have it a bit snug than too large!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art doesn't transform. It just plain forms."
-Roy Lichtenstein
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2007 10:30:00 PM »

ooh thats looking good! Have you only used one skein so far? and how long did it take you to get to that point?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
craftykt
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2007 10:59:28 PM »

ooh thats looking good! Have you only used one skein so far? and how long did it take you to get to that point?

Thanks!  I am about two pattern repeats past where I took this picture and am just getting ready to join my second skein.  This represents about 3 evenings of knitting while watching TV and a couple hours over the weekend.  It is moving faster than I had originally thought it would!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Roy Lichtenstein
neggie
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007 08:33:05 AM »

I looked at this earlier and I REALLY like it. But I've found that with needles under 4mm, my wrists really start to ache. So I was thinking I could adjust the pattern (like a few of you have said) so I can work with larger needles... and it wouldn't hurt to have the sweater take a little less time. Wink

But then again, I am really intimidated by how long this would take. I'll hold off for a while, and perhaps when I've gotten some things out of the way, I'll be back.

Good luck you guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silver Ilix
Up Late

Make your own way........

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007 11:54:05 AM »

wow that really looks sharp craftykt! How are you finding the gloss to work with? I have never used it and I am thinking I will be ordering from Knitpicks soon...... maybe not the gloss, I was intrested in the talemark. Looks great anyway keep up the awesome work! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: www.uplatedesigns.blogspot.com

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I had set him free. *Michanlengelo
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2007 03:33:26 AM »

i am in love with gloss! I got my yarn in the mail a few days ago and of course started swatching and cast on. The gloss is super soft and the pumpkin is a great color, very autumnal. I could not capture the true color in my pictures, its very burnt and brown orange, not the halloween color thats showing in my pics. The picture on the knitpicks website is a very good representation.

i didn't get gague so i'm making one size bigger

and only knitters can appreciate the fear i felt when casting on. I used the long tail method and i thought i had pulled an appropriate amount of yarn for the tail, well as i caston i watched the tail get smaller and smaller....but WHEW i barely made it. I really did NOT want to have to re cast on all those tiny stitches
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
craftykt
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2007 10:50:28 AM »

and only knitters can appreciate the fear i felt when casting on. I used the long tail method and i thought i had pulled an appropriate amount of yarn for the tail, well as i caston i watched the tail get smaller and smaller....but WHEW i barely made it. I really did NOT want to have to re cast on all those tiny stitches

Ha!  I actually did have to re-cast-on...I got to stitch #235 and saw that I only had about a three inch tail left.  I feel your pain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Roy Lichtenstein
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2007 02:00:04 PM »

oooh i feel your pain Embarrassed! I'm thinking i will do a cable cast-on because i find it super stretchy anyway.

I have just finished hand-dyeing all the wool for this jumper (all 2160m of it!). The dye job is not as even as i would have liked (my stock pot could have been bigger) and i think i should have added more purple to make it a plummier red. But i'm proud of my efforts.

Its drying in skeins at the moment, and i should be able to wind them into balls on my ball winder tonight. As soon as my Addis get here I can start! yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ktkntr
Hey little boy, what you got there? Kind sir, it's a mollusk I found.

Sassyfrassy lassy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2007 02:17:47 PM »

Good idea, Dair! I think I too will cast-on with the cable method; I used long-tail in my swatch and it is just too tight.  Even though I have a million other things to do tonight; it's my birthday, I can cast-on if I want to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkalisious jewelry:  www.zoo-loo.com
at etsy, too: www.ilovezooloo.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Downsample an Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Un-sample an Image
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Change Resolution and Image Size
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Scrolling and Panning
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Zoom an Image
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...