A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Thermal from Knitty  (Read 59656 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007 07:31:05 PM »

I really hope i get gague on smaller needles, or else i'll just knit a bigger size, i'm really picky about how loose the knitted fabric is, i really like a tight weave
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
craftykt
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007 08:27:14 PM »

I seem to be getting pretty close gauge on my 2 (just over 7 spi)...I even thought about going down to a 1.

I hated casting on 240 stitches though!  I'm afraid that this is going to be a L-O-N-G knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art doesn't transform. It just plain forms."
-Roy Lichtenstein
dair

Cute but psycho - things even out!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007 11:42:25 PM »

I cant get gauge either - and i dont want to go smaller than 3mm! So i'll just fudge it i think - i'm going to have to adjust for big hips anyway Wink.

Heres a sneak peak - my swatch, and i hand-dyed the yarn with food dye. Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ktkntr
Hey little boy, what you got there? Kind sir, it's a mollusk I found.

Sassyfrassy lassy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007 08:58:56 AM »

dair--looks great!

I can't wait to get started on this sweater.  I fell in love the second I saw it. I just received my knit picks Gloss yesterday (I ordered Dusk, and it is a gorgeous blue, even betten than I expected!) and it is super soft.  Once I get the yarn balled this weekend I'll be doing my gague swatch.  This will be my tv/movie/reading sweater(thank god for knits-in-the-round) because I need a project I can do without looking every two seconds. Squee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkalisious jewelry:  www.zoo-loo.com
at etsy, too: www.ilovezooloo.etsy.com
everything_is_free
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2007 09:45:20 AM »

i just ordered palette in the deep purple color. i hope it is soft enough, but i think it'll be ok. until i get a job $1.99 a ball is the best i can do!
can't wait to start!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2007 06:49:18 PM »

Thanks, ibmomof2, for the burgundy description.  That's definitley the color I want. 

So I've discovered that I technically DO have somehting in my stash that would work.  So I feel really guilty that I don't want to use it.  It's Elann baby silk in gentle violet - which is a gorgeous color - but I just can't see layering with it.  It's just not a color I wear.  I'm all about the earth tones.  I was going to make IK's looking glass sweater (http://iwpshopinfo.interweave.com/Knits/2006newsletters/iwksummer2006projects.htm), using 2 strands of the baby silk but just tryying to get a swatch done it was tangling so much I was about ready to set a match to it.  (Would totally swap it - pm me.)

So anyway, the gloss is in my knitpicks shopping cart - just waiting for payday!  With a ball winder.  Apparently it comes in hanks?  And I'm so tired of winding balls by hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007 12:34:57 AM »

Gloss now comes in a bare, so you can dye your own colors! I think this is what I'll use whenever I get around to this great sweater... though at the rate I'm going, it may be like a year! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
afallows
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007 01:35:40 PM »

Just cast on, which was a GIANT pain :-p hopefully this'll be a fun knit, though. I didn't quite make gauge, and ended up getting more like 7.5 stitches per inch, but I'll just add those adjustments into the other changes I'm going to try to make (adding some shaping, etc.) Fingers crossed that it'll end up well!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"She behaves as if she were beautiful. Most American women do. It is the secret of their charm."
--Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
ktkntr
Hey little boy, what you got there? Kind sir, it's a mollusk I found.

Sassyfrassy lassy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2007 02:44:04 PM »

I didn't get gauge with Gloss and 3mms either; my swatch was about 3x3.  I think I'll stitck with it though, and block to fit (or not).  I want it to turn out snug so I'd rather be on the too small side!
Dreading and anticipating the cast-on at the same time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkalisious jewelry:  www.zoo-loo.com
at etsy, too: www.ilovezooloo.etsy.com
erikasewing
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007 02:55:49 PM »

I'm not sure I'm going to knit the thermal, but I have been following the thread and wanted to share something i do regarding gauge. 

I frequently don't come up with the same gauge that a pattern calls for, mostly because I have never use the exact yarn called for.  Anyway, if you go ahead and knit a swatch for whatever yarn and needles you want to use,  and then measure the gauge of it, you can come up with a ratio for stitches and a ratio for rows -- and then just adjust the directions.  I can go into details if you'd like. 

My gauge has never been a problem using this method, my only problem has been adjusting patterns for my size (I'm 4'10"). 

Well, let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Bunch Reveals Who He Admires Most
George Michelsen Foy Talks About Zero Decibels
Benson Bobrick Reveals What Readers Think About Him
Jonathan Alter Talks About The Promise
Charlotte Smith Talks About Dreaming of Dior
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...