A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crayon Tote tutorial help  (Read 1093 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2007 10:21:01 PM »

OK ladies I need your help!  I've already done a search and I am having a hard time finding a tut for a crayon tote bag.  I want to make 1 for each of my boys.  I am VERY tempted to just wing it but I only have a certain amount of the outer fabric that I want to use and I don't want to screw it up (which I'm sure I would do if I tried to wing it). I was going to make a demo bag but with so many WIP already I'm afraid it will get pushed off to the side and not finished.  I am sooo tired of picking up crayons in the car you can't even imagine.  Anyone that can lead me in the right direction I will be eternally grateful to as will my son who is dying for his "Cars Cars art-to-go bag"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
brubendall
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007 08:38:59 AM »

Okay, I did 2 of these over Christmas.  I winged it.  Smiley  I had my outside fabric, my inside lining fabric, interfacing and the strip that goes around the outside to hold the crayons.

I used quilting-weight type fabric. 

1.  Take each exterior piece and lay flat. 

2.  Take your strip of fabric (I folded it in half, but you could turn under and sew the top edge if you don't have enough to fold the whole thing in half) and line the bottom of it up with the bottom of your exterior fabric. 

3. Make your marks where you want to sew your seams to create the "Pockets" for the crayons and then sew those seams.

4.  Now assemble your tote as you normally would.  I see you already make bags, so I'm not going to detail that.

I didn't put a closure on it.  My 2-year-old doesn't use any of the closures on any of her purses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
chrissiemags

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 08:51:48 AM »

Thanks brubendall that should get me going, now I just have to figure measurements for the seams on the crayon strip and for the crayon strip itself
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
Bailliesbagsbaubles
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007 10:25:43 AM »

I am interested in if you figured out the crayon strip widths?  I am also wondering did you mark it our just wing it.  I am thinking I may need to get one of those markers that wipe off after I am done sewing.  I so need to make these for my kids also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007 11:05:42 AM »

I make a couple of these for my daughters for X-mas.  I make the divisions by moving the marker over everytime I went to sew the next seam.  This ensured every 'pocket' would work.

You can't see the seems very well...........It holds 24 thin markers

sewn in elastic for the closure once rolled up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
chrissiemags

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007 08:24:14 PM »

Thanks mebsmommy, that is really cute!  I was thinking more of the tote with the crayon holder sewn to the front of it, this way my 4 year old won't drop the crayon holder in the car...then again he drops everything in the car LOL  Though yours will be a good design for my step daughter who is 10 and will love the idea of a marker holder for her scrapbook pens, heck I might even made one for myself for traveling in the car...when hubby is driving that is  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Country Style Corned Beef Hash Recipe
How to Make a Grilled Ham and Gruyere Sandwich
How to Make Depression Cake
Baked Beans Recipe
How to Make Thin-New York Strip Steak with Potato Wedges
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...