A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frankenteady aka the world build my bear Sign up CLOSED Send by 1 March  (Read 13947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2007 10:10:09 PM »

CAUTION MAC USERS: YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN THIS SWAP UNLESS YOU CAN FIND A MAC PROGRAM THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO PRINT THE PATTERNS THE RIGHT SIZE!

Frankenteady swap AKA. the world build my bear .
The official stuff is in post 2.  Yo.

Awwww. Isnt he cute

The Idea

The idea of this swap is to build a bear with all the different parts from the best and prettiest of other peoples fabric stashes.
We all print the same pattern, cut the fabric pieces out, then send the different parts off to different people. 

Send by Date

All you have to do is cut out the pattern pieces, then send.  No sewing required before sending.  Because of this the send date is only one week after the close of the sign up period.  You can, and I do SERIOUSLY recommend this, cut the pattern pieces out before the sign up period has closed so all you have to do in that week is find a post office.
Please please please dont be late, not being able to start your bear because you are missing only a few pieces from one person would be INCREADIBLY frustrating.

Postage

I will be dividing the swap applicants into groups with a max of five, so the max amount things you will be sending is to four sets of cut out fabric pieces to four different people (you keep one set yourself).  Some of these pattern pieces wont fit into a business sized envelope so if your swap participants arent in the same country it will be quite expensive enough with only four.

I am also giving you the option to make two bears.  Both bears must be different fabrics.  You can chose if you want to be in the same group for both bears to save on postage and have two bears that look similar, or if you want to be in two different groups to get two completely different looking bears.  If you chose to make two different sized bears then obviously you will be in different groups.

Teams
I will organise people into a group of five if I could
Person A
Person B
Person C
Person D
Person E

You cut enough pieces to make an entire teady bear and put them in envelopes.  I will organise what goes in the envelopes soon as I know for SURE how many bears will be in the swap.  You will receive that info along with the addresses of everybody in your team after the sign up closes.
envelope 1
envelope 2
envelope 3
envelope 4
envelope 5

Person A keeps envelope 1
sends envelope 2 to B
3 to C
4 to D
5 to E

Person B keeps envelope 1
Sends envelope 2 to C
3 to D
4 to E
5 to A

etc.
If somebody wants two bears they will then become person B and C so you will be sending them twice as many pieces and be receiving twice as many pieces from them.

The pieces you send out will be the same as the pieces you receive so you will get one entire bear ready for you to sew and stuff yourself.

Sizes

For this bear I used the pattern posted by someone somewhere on craftster, but I cant find it again for the life of me.  When I printed that pattern I found the seem allowances too small for me to be comfortable sewing, so I doubled the height and width.
So now you have TWO options.  You can make either the large bear in the photograph or the smaller bear.
I would recommend the smaller bear for anybody handsewing. 
He is so big and simple, I would recommend him for any beginner.  It doesnt matter what mistakes you make on him he still looks great in the end.

Pattern

Print your pattern pieces from HERE .  The pattern is hoasted by my mummy (Go Mummys! Yay!) on her website.  Check out the website.
Right click the pattern pieces to save to your computer and they will save the right size.
To prevent the pattern pieces from resizing open in MS Paint and print from there.  Windows XP will try to stretch (or in this case shrink) the pattern to fit the page and that wont give you pattern pieces the right size.
Print two of the arm pieces.
Check the size of your printed piece.  If you measure along the grain line arrow you should reach the following measurements

*measure along grain line*
These measurements are for the small bear, the large is twice that.
Face:  S 11cm - 4 in
Inner arm:  S 14cm - 5 in
Body:  S 16.75cm -  6 in
Leg:  S 16.5cm 6 in

Fabric & Cutting

When cutting out the pieces I ask that you please dont use any fabric that is extra thick such as thick fur, or stretchy such as t-shirt fabric, or anything that wont hold together when stuffed hard.  Just imagine if a beginner could sew it and decide if it is appropriate.
If your fabric frays easily and you are convinced it will hold together well enough then please overcast your edges or get some of that no fray goop to put around the edges.

Mark all the pointy point bits by leaving the points on and the points that the arms and legs have to be attached with a dot.
Label all the pattern pieces by writing its name on a piece of tape and sticking it to the pattern piece on the wrong side.

The List
On peices such as the leg it will ask you to cut four peices reversing two.  That is simple enough, just fold the fabric so two of the pattern peices are reversed and you don't have four left sides of the leg. 
To prevent you from sending the wrong pattern side to the wrong person I ask that you mark the peices with up or down.
After you cut the peices the bits that are right side up are marked up and the bits that are right side down are marked down.
Let me know if you have any troubles.
EXAMPLE PIC

You should have:
1 up side paw
1 down side paw
1 up side inner arm
1 down side inner arm
1 up side outer arm (made by gluing paw pattern to inner arm pattern)
1 down side outer arm
1 face
2 foot
4 ear
1 upside head back
1 downside head back
2 upside leg
2 downside leg
1 upside body
1 downside body
1 muzzle

KEEP THE PRINTED COPY OF YOUR PATTERN INCASE A PIECE OF YOURS IS ACCEDENTLALY SENT TO THE WRONG PERSON OR SIZED WRONG ETC.
I will ask you to swap angel yourself if this happens.  Finding a swap angel and getting them to send to you could take weeks and we all have a bit of extra fabric in our stashes we could use.  I will ask anybody whos fabric doesn't make it to their partner to send an appology card to recieve positive feedback.

BOOO I exceeded 10000 characters!
Q&A on secound post!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007 02:02:44 PM by Rosemary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Youtube Channel:  http://www.youtube.com/charlieisagirl

Makeup/Clothing Tutorials:   http://www.youtube.com/stardustandunicorns

Formspring:  http://www.formspring.me/charlieisagirl

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007 10:10:31 PM »

CAUTION MAC USERS: YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN THIS SWAP UNLESS YOU CAN FIND A MAC PROGRAM THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO PRINT THE PATTERNS THE RIGHT SIZE!
Swap name: Frankenteady
Craftster member who is organizing this swap:  Rosemary
Sign-up date range:  30 Jan 21 Feb
Date to send item by:  22 Feb 1 March

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): NO

Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO
If so, which country?

All ages allowed? Or 18+? All ages

Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES

Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES

Details of swap:
See post 1.

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap:  Frankenteady swap.
Craftster username
Email address
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Do you want one or two bears?
What sizes?
If two of the same size do you want to be in the same or different groups for each bear?
(being in the same team will save on postage and both bears will be made of the same kind of fabric from the same people, if in different groups they will have different fabric.)
If making more than one bear do you promise to use different fabric for each bear?
And do you promise to send on time knowing you only have a week from the close of the sign up period?
(you can cut the parts ready to send before the sign up period closes)

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

AFTER PEOPLE HAVE SIGNED UP AND BEEN APPROVED, LIST THE PARTICIPANTS HERE AND WHO IS SENDING TO WHOM:

Q&A

Tricot!
Because the question will be asked.
I asked my mummy (Go Mummys! Yay!) and she said that Tricot is a kind of stretchy t-shirt fabric that isnt quite as stretchy as most t-shirt fabrics these days.  I made my test bear entirely out of two dollar a meter flannel and he turned out fine and/or dandy so I dont think the tricot is necessary and I wont be requiring it.

Marking the partern.
On peices such as the leg it will ask you to cut four peices reversing two.  That is simple enough, just fold the fabric so two of the pattern peices are reversed and you don't have four left sides of the leg. 
To prevent you from sending the wrong pattern side to the wrong person I ask that you mark the peices with up or down.
After you cut the peices the bits that are right side up are marked up and the bits that are right side down are marked down.
Let me know if you have any troubles.
EXAMPLE PIC

How many bears do you cut?
Cut out one if you want one but cut two if you want two.
the peices you send out will be the same peices you recieve from the other members in your group,

Dc Numbers.
Not required.  But please do snap a photo of your peices before you send them out, and if any of your peices don't make it to your group members then please send them a sorry card. 

People should keep the printed versions of their pattern so they can swap angel themselves if you get sent the wrong peice, go missing etc. Also incase after you have recieved your bear peices you think a peice compleatly clashes with the other peices or you just think it needs a little bit more dark in it you can replace the peices that don't look right.

I wonder though, would it be possible to try to theme the fabrics just a little?  I know my son wouldn't be too keen on having a pink girly bear...  Maybe we could list one or two colors that we'd like to avoid?

Sorry darlin, but teams and swap partners won't be asigned till a week before the send date and I don't think that would really be enough time for anybody to go and get special fabrics because you don't have what someone wants.  Plus I lived in a town where the local fabric shop sucked and the nearst decent one was three hours drive away, so I wanted to make this swap accesable by anyone by using stash fabric.
(we ALL have fabric in our stash we think is fantastic but havn't found a project to use it with so I believe the fabrics and bears will be great)
Please use unisex fabric as much as possible.

Can I use different fabric for each peice?
Yes!

did i miss reading where I get the pattern ?
It is on the first post. There is a text link to my mothers website, knowing me it probibly has the word HERE  that you can click on or something.
Right click, save, open in paint, print.

I want to join this swap but I'm having trouble figuring out the sizing.  Here's where I run into trouble:

Check the size of your printed piece.  If you measure along the grain line arrow you should reach the following measurements

*measure along grain line*
These measurements are for the small bear, the large is twice that.
Face:  S 11cm - 4 in
Inner arm:  S 14cm - 5 in
Body:  S 16.75cm -  6 in
Leg:  S 16.5cm 6 in

Does this mean the grain line arrow should be the size mentioned or does it mean we should lay our ruler along the grain line arrow and the entire piece should be this size?

oooohhh!
Bad me!
You pm'ed me that question and I was going to answer it, but I wanted to finish accepting join requests first and then I just sorta forgot to go back through my inbox to answer.
You measure along the grain line from the cut line (the thick black line on the outside) to the cut line. 
The only reason I chose the grain line to be the place to measure was because every peice had one. 

Let me see if I got this right, this is like a circle group, you cut out everything and mail it to one person, they pick a piece and sew it, then put their sewn piece and the rest of the pattern, and mail it to the next person, and they sew one of the pieces, and so on

Or we just mail a piece to each person, and they each mail it back and we put it together ourself?
I will organise people into a group of five if I could
Person A
Person B
Person C
Person D
Person E

You cut enough pieces to make an entire teady bear and put them in envelopes.  I will organise what goes in the envelopes soon as I know for SURE how many bears will be in the swap.  You will receive that info along with the addresses of everybody in your team after the sign up closes.
envelope 1
envelope 2
envelope 3
envelope 4
envelope 5

Person A keeps envelope 1
sends envelope 2 to B
3 to C
4 to D
5 to E

Person B keeps envelope 1
Sends envelope 2 to C
3 to D
4 to E
5 to A

etc.
If somebody wants two bears they will then become person B and C so you will be sending them twice as many pieces and be receiving twice as many pieces from them.

The pieces you send out will be the same as the pieces you receive so you will get one entire bear ready for you to sew and stuff yourself.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007 01:51:11 PM by Rosemary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007 10:11:09 PM »

TEAMS!

LITTLE!

TEAM Ted. E. Bear!
Brianaknitts
Flanman
Igobylorib
Peihan17

TEAM Pooh Bear!
Brianaknits
CraftADDChick
Homerof2
Pinkstar69
Igobylorib

BIG!
TEAM Koala Bear!
Sharre
Sharre (2)
Glittergirl94
Rosemary
Rosemary (2)

TEAM Paddington Bear!
Luckie_strike
Chloe_hippy
Maltirel
Miss Vioaceous
dooney

TEAM Care Bear!
Glittergirl94
Dragonslair
dragonslair
bloomingkinder
stacysews

TEAM Smokey Bear!
Luckie_strike
Smithyboy
Bloomingkinder
Born2bwild
pupygirl
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007 05:00:26 PM by Rosemary » THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007 11:05:17 PM »

Just sent my info,  cannot wait for this to start!

Is anyone else thinking of embellishing the pieces of the bear when they recieve them with the names of the craftster who sent them? Or is it just me Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007 11:43:42 PM »

Just sent my info,  cannot wait for this to start!

Is anyone else thinking of embellishing the pieces of the bear when they recieve them with the names of the craftster who sent them? Or is it just me Roll Eyes
ooohhh, you are clever.

and horray!  First swap application!

and ooohhh, an Australian!

You might even be albe to do it yourself before you send it, but you will have to wait and see what peices get sent to who unless you want to tag each and every peice. 
I was thinking of putting the names of all the peices in a hat to decide who gets what.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Born2bWild
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007 12:07:27 AM »

Oh my gosh! What am I doing up at 3 am looking at craftster. But I'm glad I am, this is an awesome idea! I'm sending in my info now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zmrzlina
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007 05:49:14 AM »

This will be my first swap on Craftster. Thank you for hosting Rosemary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 06:06:20 AM »

I plan on signing up for this one, but I want to make sure that I've understood it before I send my info in (btw, I am so very excited about this swap, it is going to be great!).

We are going to be making 2 bears - either 2 small, 2 large, or one of each?

Do we cut out 1 bear and send X person the arm, Y person a leg, etc. Or do we cut it out 5 times and send the whole thing (which I don't think that it's since they would get an entire bear of the same color)?  I got confused on the cutting and it's probably because I'm not fully awake and had enough coffee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peihan17
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 09:15:37 AM »

I just sent in my info... what a cool idea  Grin  I'm excited!  I handsew everything, so I'm only doing the smaller bears.

Just one question regarding confirmation numbers though... sometimes at my post office they only give me DC with priority mail shipping if the envelope isn't thick enough.  That could add up to a lot of postage for 4 people per bear.  If we're swap angelling ourselves, can we skip DC numbers for this swap?

If that's a bad idea, I'll just suck it up and pay the postage  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pro personal swaps and always open to a penpal!  PM me =)

Wist :: Etsy :: Flickr
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007 11:21:59 AM »

I plan on signing up for this one, but I want to make sure that I've understood it before I send my info in (btw, I am so very excited about this swap, it is going to be great!).

We are going to be making 2 bears - either 2 small, 2 large, or one of each?

Do we cut out 1 bear and send X person the arm, Y person a leg, etc. Or do we cut it out 5 times and send the whole thing (which I don't think that it's since they would get an entire bear of the same color)?  I got confused on the cutting and it's probably because I'm not fully awake and had enough coffee.

You can make one or two bears
If you want to make one bear you cut out one bear, if you want two you cut out two.
You send the various bits to other people from there, and other people will send you the bits they cut out. 
After that is all done you should recieve the same parts you sent out so you have enough to make yourself a bear (or two)

And because the onvelopes send would be small you wouldn't have to get DC numbers for them all I don't think it is necessary.
But! snap a photo of your peices before you send and if every last one of your peices gets lost in the post I think I will require that person to send an "I'm sorry" card to the group to get good feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Food Festivals Survival Guide
How to Make Homemade Apple Sauce
How to Roast Chestnuts
Chipotle Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
Organic Farming in Scott Arkansas
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...