A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,345
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinese New Year ATC Swap  (Read 2158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 29, 2007 07:57:27 AM »

Would anyone be interested in swapping Chinese New Year ATCs?  This year, Chinese New Year is February 17, and the New Year will be the year of the boar.  I'm a boar (but not a bore) so I think this is kinda' cool. 

I like quick swaps, especially with ATCs.  So how about trading 3 Chinese New Year themed cards with 1 partner?  We could have sign-ups from Feb 1 to 5 (or until 24 people signed up), craft for a week, then send out on Feb 12 (you could always start crafting now, there's no reason to wait).  Hopefully, most of us would get our cards by Feb 18, and we'd have good wishes and beautiful ATCs to start the Year of the Boar.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '___________________________________________________________________________')

Edited to add:  there seems to be a lot of errors in the wikipedia entry for Chinese New Year.  I'm leaving what I originally wrote here, otherwise downthread comments won't make sense.  But it's irrelevant and most likely wrong.

You carn read more about Chinese New Year here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_new_year

There are many lovely traditions associated with Chinese New Year, such as the reunion dinner, where family members gather at the home of the most senior family member for a dinner.  So many Chinese from all over the world go to China for this dinner that it is considered the largest human migration on earth.  Each day of the new year has special celebrations and activities (although these vary regionally). 

I am not Chinese, but I've always loved this holiday (even though I don't celebrate it).  I love the beautiful colors and symbols.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 07:42:23 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
norianai
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007 06:44:27 PM »

I'd be up for that.  Just a couple of hours ago I was rifling through my craft stash and found a stamp which I immediately envisioned in a Chinese New Year ATC.  This would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007 07:03:26 PM »

hi.  the actual date of the chinese new year is Feb 17 this year.  things might start to get festivey on the 5th, but the actual date is feb 17, this year.

i also think it's funny how people refer to it as boar, when we just say pig.

So many Chinese from all over the world go to China for this dinner that it is considered the largest human migration on earth.
I've never heard of that...

Each day of the new year has special celebrations and activities (although these vary regionally).

i've actually never heard of this...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007 07:10:56 PM by itscute » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007 07:44:13 PM »

Well, all that info is from the Wikipedia, so it very well could be wrong, although I have heard the thing about the human migration before (my professional life involves migration issues a little bit).  The wikipedia also where I got the dates (which are all messed up, so I'm really glad to have the correct date).  I thought the spring festival started before New Year's and ended with New Year's?  In my area, there's this huge deal about a spring festival, but that may just be some regional adaptation in my part of the US.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007 07:46:39 PM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007 07:58:28 PM »

hm... what spring festival? hm... maybe places have these made up festivals to stir up fun festive cheer!  u know reinforce holiday cheer, boost economy, etc. 

in my hometown, we have an annual mazhu festival, where our mazhu ( she's a goddess type.) goes out on a tour of surrounding cities to visit different towns and brings overall good spirit.  It's a huge deal in our town...many people come from different parts to see her, our temple is filled with people, and at the end when she comes back home, there's this large banquet where anyone can go and eat lunch.  it's rather nice.  I went last year.

man...i use to think wikipedia had all the right answers... maybe not so much huh?

hm... human migration... so off topic.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artemisfair
"Full of evil, hate and delicious peanut butter."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007 08:02:37 PM »

Hmm...I want to do this one. Is it okay if I'm new (to both ATCs and swapping) but I fit the guidelines?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The Kraken stirs, and ten billion sushi dinners cry out for venegeance!" ~ Good Omens
Need wist list assistance?
Personal Swapper! <3 Make me some wall-art!

Steph has wists![/url
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007 06:31:50 AM »

hm... what spring festival? hm... maybe places have these made up festivals to stir up fun festive cheer!  u know reinforce holiday cheer, boost economy, etc. 

in my hometown, we have an annual mazhu festival, where our mazhu ( she's a goddess type.) goes out on a tour of surrounding cities to visit different towns and brings overall good spirit.  It's a huge deal in our town...many people come from different parts to see her, our temple is filled with people, and at the end when she comes back home, there's this large banquet where anyone can go and eat lunch.  it's rather nice.  I went last year.

man...i use to think wikipedia had all the right answers... maybe not so much huh?

hm... human migration... so off topic.   Smiley

Yeah, let's ignore all that wiki stuff and focus on making ATCs!  Thanks for sharing about the festival in your hometome, it sounds like a lot of fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 07:36:44 AM »

Sounds like fun, I'd be into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 07:40:07 AM »

Hmm...I want to do this one. Is it okay if I'm new (to both ATCs and swapping) but I fit the guidelines?

Absolutely!  Everyone is new at some point!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artemisfair
"Full of evil, hate and delicious peanut butter."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007 05:17:02 PM »

Awesome. And I love the idea of a quick swap as well. That way I can have feedback and all so that I can do more swaps. Awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The Kraken stirs, and ten billion sushi dinners cry out for venegeance!" ~ Good Omens
Need wist list assistance?
Personal Swapper! <3 Make me some wall-art!

Steph has wists![/url
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Homemade Halloween Decorations
How to make origami claws
How to Fold Origami Wizards Hat
How to Fold an Origami Balloon
How to Fold an Origami Box
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...