A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wrap-Around Skirt Tutorial?  (Read 261663 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004 05:35:21 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a no-pattern wrap-around skirt. I've searched the site and can't seem to find anything... 

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008 11:05:10 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
javede
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004 09:13:39 AM »

basically a wrap-around skirt is quite easy. You only need rectangle. The dimensions are 1,5*your girth(hip)and the lenght of the skirt. Now you hem three sides. For the fourth side you can use the same fabric(you need a longer piece) and sew it to the side. This will also form the ribbon-thingy to close the skirt.
 I hope my bad description helped. If you still got a question, ask me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my knitting blog:
http://orangmerajut.blogspot.com/

personal swap friendly
Laney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004 08:01:02 PM »

Thank you so much for replying.  Grin

I do have one question. Will the skirt wrap around me funny since it's rectangle? Sorry if that's a silly question. I'm quite the bigger at sewing and I need a simple project to get me started. Smiley

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004 10:33:21 PM »

Actually, it will wrap funny as a rectangle.  Years ago my mom showed me how to make a wrap around skirt without a pattern.  I still have it... And it was super easy to make. 

I used a newspaper to cut out a pattern, so that I could cut out the fabric.  The wrap skirt consists of 3 isosceles trapezoids (wait, what?! I thought I'd never use geometry in real life!... It just means that the two non-parallel sides are the same length, and have the same sized angles to the two parallel sides... see here for an example of what one looks like http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IsoscelesTrapezoid.html)

Use a measuring tape to measure around your waist/hips where you want the skirt to hit.  Figure out how big around your hip/waist is at that point, and then add half of the number to your measurement. So, if your measurement around the hip/waist is 36, add 18 to it, to get 54 (feel free to fudge around with the numbers a bit to make the part that wraps over wider or narrower, as you see fit.) Tack on another 3 inches for seam allowances (1/2 inch seam allowances). So, now you'd have 57.

Calculate 40% of your hip/waist number. In this case, 57 x .4 = 23 (rounded up from 22.8.. just round to the nearest whole number) Then figure 30% of the hip/waist number. So, 57 x .3 = 17.  (rounded down from 17.1)

Decide how long you want your skirt to be, and then tack on another 1.5" for the top and the hem. Let's say we want it to be 18" long. So, our total measurement should be 19.5.

You'll want to make three, equally sized trapezoids with 17 inches on the top, and 23" on the bottom (or whatever numbers you came up with).  (Remember, you want the trapezoid to be symmetrical, so that if you folded it in half, the two non parallel sides would match... the easiest way to do it is to draw a rectangle on the newspaper that is 17" by 19.5" (or the shorter, top of the trapezoid, by the length of the piece).  Then subtract the number for the shorter side of the trapezoid from the larger side (23-17=6). Extend the bottom part of the rectangle by 3 inches on either side (half of the difference between the top and the bottom).  Then, draw an angled line connecting the end of the 17" line to the end of the 23" line, on both sides.  You should now have a trapezoid that looks like the one in the link up above.

Here is the backside of my skirt, so you can see (ignore the extremely crappy stitching.  This thing was horribly put together, mostly by hand...)

Make three of these with the newspaper, that are all of equal size.  Lay these out on your fabric, and cut the fabric out.

You'll assemble the pieces so that all three are lined up next to each other, except the trapezoid in the middle will be upside down (so the longer end is on top, and shorter end on the bottom).  You should find that this gives you a really, really long trapezoid. 

Like this: (Ignore my pile of shoes, and messy carpet!)

Next, stitch the pieces together, allowing a 1/2" seam allowance. 

Hem in the sides and bottom, again allowing 1/2" seam allowances.

Now all you have left is the top.  Hem over 1" of fabric, but make sure that you leave enough space to put a ribbon through, to tie it closed.

Once the top is stitched down, thread a long piece of ribbon (2.5 times the width of the top of the skirt, at least) through the top hem. 

Wrap around your waist, and enjoy!

(Crappy picture of me, with the skirt thrown over a pair of jeans... I'm sure your final product will be much better than mine was... keep in mind it was one of my first sewing projects)

Of course, you can adjust it however you like to suit your tastes.  You can make it so that the end of your finished skirt has straight edges, instead of slanted ones.  You can make it longer, or shorter.  You can work it so it's wider at the bottom.  You can make it longer (try adding more trapezoids for a skirt that wraps around more than once). 

I hope this was clear.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laney

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004 04:06:57 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you!  Grin

I haven't seen such clear instructions on wrap around skirts on this site until this one! You even put pictures! You've totally made my day. Smiley Now I can go home and start making some wrap skirts without wondering what the HECK I'm doing. Smiley

Sorry for my excitement.. but I've wanted to make one of these forever! I used to have one made from corduroy and I absolutely loved it. I just couldn't find any patterns to match how it was made. Your instructions look identical to how my skirt was... except mine had big '70s pockets, which I think I can manage on.

Anyway. Thank you again. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004 04:26:26 PM »

I'm glad they helped.  I knew I was hanging onto that old skirt for something.  Grin I even made a halter top that matches, cutting it out of newspaper. 

Though, pulling it out has made me realize how far my sewing skills have come.  I don't know what I was thinking when I stitched that thing together!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004 04:31:46 PM by dani24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laney

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004 06:40:41 PM »

Hehe. Well, I'm such a sewing beginner that any help is great.  Grin I thought a wrap around skirt would be an easy project to try. I've reconstructed a few things, jeans into skirts and changing the size of a few tops to make them fit, but I've never successfully made anything out of scratch. *Successfully* being a huge key word.  Cheesy I hope someday I can look at my old sewing projects and know that I've come a long way too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
cccaryyy

doot en doot doo dooo...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005 09:20:04 PM »

wow this is really cute! =)  i think i'll make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005 04:44:08 PM »

Hey!  That's such a great tut on the wrap skirt front!  Thanks so much!!
  I'm just wondering- if anyone is still reading this thread-:
  I've seen some wrap skirts out there that say they have belt loops to hold the ties in place a little better- I think I understand how that works....but they also said that there was a button-hole in the waist band.
  How does that work!?!  Where do you put the button hole?  And does the tie go through this hole? What if two different people- with 2 different waist sizes- want to wear the same skirt?  Does the button hole need to be in a different place? Or can you just put one on there and it would work for every size?  Do you put more than one button hole on the waist?  Like put them spaced evenly out over a few inches- like put 3 or 4 button holes for semi-customizable fit?
  If anyone's got the skinny, I'm all ears! =0)
THANKS!
<3 Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mommy2Toddlers
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005 10:18:34 PM »

Hey!  That's such a great tut on the wrap skirt front!  Thanks so much!!
  I'm just wondering- if anyone is still reading this thread-:
  I've seen some wrap skirts out there that say they have belt loops to hold the ties in place a little better- I think I understand how that works....but they also said that there was a button-hole in the waist band.
  How does that work!?!  Where do you put the button hole?  And does the tie go through this hole? What if two different people- with 2 different waist sizes- want to wear the same skirt?  Does the button hole need to be in a different place? Or can you just put one on there and it would work for every size?  Do you put more than one button hole on the waist?  Like put them spaced evenly out over a few inches- like put 3 or 4 button holes for semi-customizable fit?
  If anyone's got the skinny, I'm all ears! =0)
THANKS!
<3 Sarah

Once upon a time, I had this lepard print skirt that tied on the side. It was my very, very ultra favorite skirt ever. Since then I have desperately wanted to recreate one. That skirt had an inside-out button. By that I mean the waist part closest to me had a buttonhole, and the waist part on the wrap-around had a button on the inside to go through. That way, the wrap around part didn't sag any on the inside and made sure that the skirt didn't just flap open. Plus, I am on the fluffy side to begin with, and I wanted full coverage on the front and the part where the skirt tied. :-) So, to recap, the skirt would wrap around and on the part where you would start to wrap, it had a buttonhole. Continue wrapping the skirt around, and the place where the fabric meets itself again, would be a button to the inside. That would hold the fabric in place, and then it continues wrapping to tie at the side. Wah-Lah. And I'm sure you could easily do 2-3 spaced buttons or hook/eye closures so that the waist could be shortened or expanded to a couple different sizes. In fact, you could do one of those slidey-hook closures (no clue what those are called LOL but they look like bent spatulas and a large flat hook) with one hook and a couple different slidey parts spaced evenly.

On the other hand, I've also seen tie around skirts that did this whole process on the *outside* of the skirt. The inside shell of the skirt was just a plain A-line or straight skirt that closed in the front with a zipper. Then, on one of the side seams, a matching panel of fabric identical to the front, without a closure, is sewn on one side. on the unsewn side, you make the tie. On the side seam without the fabric panel, you attach the other part of your tie. The fabric panel ties to the other side, giving you a "faux" wrap around look. I had a skirt like this once and the fabric panel was supposed to sag a little like a sarong style.

Anyway, I hope that helps. I am awful at describing things!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Quick Beauty Tips for Working Moms
How Does Nair Hair Removal Work?
Are Juice Cleanses a Good Idea?
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Skin Care Secrets
Helpful Makeup Tools That Make Application Easier
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...