A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first scarf ever...  (Read 2619 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

socomfyhere
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004 04:15:02 PM »

oh man what a breath of fresh air... no offense but I love this thread for 2 reasons:
-that is an amazing scarf for a first-timer! yay!
-the messages are so mellow, as opposed to ppl who are like 'omg why didnt you know that 1 row purl 1 row knit is stockinette and it curls up in a tube on its own and that scarf is so simple i couldve made it in 5 min.

I applaud you for learning to KNIT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2004 10:19:20 PM »

Good work on your first project!!!  That looks really great.  Such neat stitches.  I really like the yarn too.  what did you use? 

BTW if you want to keep stocking stitch (knit one side purl the other) from curling there are a few things you can do to prevent it or at least keep it to a minimum:
-do 2-3 rows garter stitch (knit both right and wrong sides) and then start on your stocking stitch. 
-when working stocking stitch knit the first and last stitch of the purl side row (also known as a selvedge stitch if you are going to be piecing together a sweater or something).  You can do more knit stitches on the purl side too, this will give you 2 stitches garter stitch, then your stocking stitch, then 2 stitches garter stitch-- which sometimes looks interesting.
-at the end, do 2-3 rows garter stitch (whatever you did at the beginning)

But, all that said, I really do like the way it curled into a tube, so ignore the above if you want to do that again!  happy accidents are the best types of projects I think!

Keep stitching and post more of your projects when you get them done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
tinafish
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004 08:12:46 AM »

Good work on your first project!!!  That looks really great.  Such neat stitches.  I really like the yarn too.  what did you use? 

BTW if you want to keep stocking stitch (knit one side purl the other) from curling there are a few things you can do to prevent it or at least keep it to a minimum:
-do 2-3 rows garter stitch (knit both right and wrong sides) and then start on your stocking stitch. 
-when working stocking stitch knit the first and last stitch of the purl side row (also known as a selvedge stitch if you are going to be piecing together a sweater or something).  You can do more knit stitches on the purl side too, this will give you 2 stitches garter stitch, then your stocking stitch, then 2 stitches garter stitch-- which sometimes looks interesting.
-at the end, do 2-3 rows garter stitch (whatever you did at the beginning)

But, all that said, I really do like the way it curled into a tube, so ignore the above if you want to do that again!  happy accidents are the best types of projects I think!

Keep stitching and post more of your projects when you get them done!

thanks for the tip! i'll be sure to try that out soon. yea, i didn't mind too much on this one that it ended up curling because it was a thin enough scarf so it looked okay. thanks again for your help. i love knitting now! i've broaden my horizons on so many crafts...it's great fun! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlfriday

I'm NOT a monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004 08:41:37 AM »

I completley love that colorway! This scarf looks great. I'm really amazed that it was your first project. Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is love? As far as I can tell, it is passion, admiration and respect. If you have two, you have enough. If you have all three, you don't have to die to go to heaven."
William Wharton
girlcitizen

Llama's taste good with milk.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004 06:15:23 PM »

wow, very good! i love the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I knit therefore I am.
LisaMarie

Everybody's got their something

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004 05:33:59 PM »

I wish my first kntting project turned out that awesome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cowgirl

I get lazy sometimes...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004 09:07:22 PM »

how did you do so good on your first scarf  Huh Huh Huh? Mine was terrible with the most basic stich and holes everywhere and I wasn't counting the stiches. It was terrible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2004 12:05:17 AM »

Wow, that was your FIRST scarf?  My first scarf ended up looking like world's biggest (and ugliest) potholder!  Yay for you - you should be really proud!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Perfect Blowout Look
How to Get Sleek Straight Hair
Get Romantic Waves With a Curling Iron
Thinning Hair Restoration Solution
How to Curl Your Hair With Hot Rollers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...