A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crochet hook book (can fit DPN's too if needed!) (with tutorial!)  (Read 4636 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2007 12:05:00 PM »

Hi there!  Let me begin with the very important statement:  I do not sew.  Not really.  I don't know what I'm doing and I make things up as I go along.  I run into problems, I re-adjust as I go.  You will see that in this tutorial.  You might also see ways to make this easier... maybe there's a "right way" I'm not aware of.  If so, please please let me know so I can learn something!  However, even if you are not a sewer, you can probably make this, because I give that much detail into how I did things.  Also, please read through the whole thing before attempting this.  At the end, I have included some further thoughts and ideas.

Okay.  So you're here to learn how to make this unique crochet hook holder (which you could easily make a DPN case if you just make bigger pockets).
I'd show you the cover, but I haven't finished it yet!  Besides, I wouldn't want to block your creative juices with my own idea!   Wink

You will need:  an old hard-cover book you're willing to destroy, some fabric (I used an old bed sheet), pins (the kind without the plastic head... that was my most important lesson here), iron, and a sewing machine (with thread, d'uh)

Step 1.  Destroy book.  All you need is the cover, so cut out the pages: You can see this was not an especially thick book.  You don't need a really thick book.

Step 2:  cut a piece of fabric slightly bigger than the book cover (you'll need enough around the edges to fold over and glue down later)

Step 3:  cut another piece of fabric about half as tall as the book, plus an inch.  It needs to be a long strip.  I made mine about twice the width of the book, and it was way too short.  I'm guessing you'll need it a bit better than 3 times the width of the book.  If you have enough fabric to play on the safe side, make it four times as long.

Step 4: you're going to be making some pleats, to make room for the hooks.  In other roll-style cases I've seen, the back is flexible enough that it bends, and the fronts of each pocket can be flat.  BUt our book cover won't bend around the hooks, so we need to make space.  This is the best way I could come up with, though I'd love to know what others suggest.

HOW TO MAKE PLEATS (i think... I dunno... I made it up as I went)

Step 4a: lay out the strip.  fold the left side over to the right, like in the picture.  iron it to make a crease.

Step 4b: fold the long flap back over like in this picture, and iron it again. (this is where I learned that plastic pin heads melt if you iron them)

on your second and other pleats, you'll want to make sure that thsi fold doesn't overlap the first pleat.  Ideally, they'll just touch, like this:

Step 4c: flip over the fabric strip.  you'll work the second half of the pleat from the back, the same way as in steps 4a and 4b.

Here you can see my very professional method of measuring the width of my pleats to make sure they dont' overlap the other part of the pleat...

BACK TO THE GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS

Step 5:  once you've got enough pleats to equal slightly less than the first half of the book, it's nice to run to your sewing machine and baste them down, so they'll stay put.  Also, be sure to leave a space for the spine of the book before beginning the next set of pleats.

Step 6:  I decided to make single pleats on the other half, because I'd be putting skinnier hooks there.  To make these, just do steps 4a and 4b over and over, without flipping the fabric.  You'll also notice that it looks like my side that had the double pleats is gone.  It is.  This is where I discovered I didn't have a long enough strip and went back to cut another piece to do the other side (whic, btw, turned out to be only just barely long enough!).
Single pleats:

Don't forget to check the fit, to make sure the pleated bit will fit nicely into the cover of your book:

Step 7: lay the pleated part face-down on your big square.  Your basting stitches should be about, oh, maybe 2 inches from the edge of the square.  Mine looks like it's farther than that.  It is.  And I nearly didn't have enough fabric to wrap over the top of my book for that reason.  So lay yours a bit further up than mine (like, towards the top of the picture).  You'll also see that I'm using my book cover to decide where to place them.  Remember that I messed up and ended up with two "pockets" instead of one.  Which I actually liked in the end, and maybe you want to do it that way.

Pin and sew down the pleaty bits, just outside the basting, so the basting stitches won't show when you flip the pockets back over.

Step 8:  flip the pockets back over  so the right side is up...  
...and sew down the sides of the pleated pocket

Step 9: now, very carefully sew between each of the pleats.  Don't forget to sew down the outer sides of the outermost pleats!  I forgot that, and now they're huge pockets and there's nothing I can really do about it but make another one of these some day.

Here's a picture of the stitching between the double pleats (I found I had to spread the pleats as I sewed, and had to take out the pins on my way down the pleat).  A tip for the double-pleated part is to start with a seam in the middle, then work out from there.  That keeps the fabric from sliding around too much.

Step 10:  heat up your glue gun (or whatever else you think will work well... my book cover was a woven fabric stuff, so the glue gun bonded really well).  Place the pleated part face-down.  Put the book cover nice and neatly on top of that, making sure your pleat pockets are where you want them to be, fold the material back over the book cover, and glue it in place.  Pull it nice and tight.

Step 11:  Figure out something to put on the back of your book as a cover.  I'm crocheting.  You could knit, quilt, do decoupage, whatever.  Affix your cover using the best method you can come up with. Make a closure of some kind.  Put your hooks in your book and rock on!

OTHER TIPS AND THINGS I PLAN TO DO:

1.  Before I attach my cover, I'm going to make an extra flap that will flap down from the top of the book and hold the hooks from falling out if the book should be turned upside down.

2.  Some kind of elastic or stretchy material probably would have eliminated the need for all those pleats.  The pleats are okay, but I do find them a bit bigger than needed, and floppy-looking.  I suppose making one 2-inch pocket along the bottom (to hold the bottoms of the hooks) and then sewing down a piece of 1/2  or 3/4 inch elastic at appropriate intervals (to hold further to the  tops of the hooks) would have been a great idea.  But I didn't think of it on time.

3.  The double pleats would be the perfect way to to, I think, for holding DPN's. 

4. I plan to label my pockets with the size of hook that belongs there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenobia
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007 12:20:39 PM »

cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bat057
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 04:41:30 AM »

That is great - so neat - and great tutorial - thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamayun
I'll be back someday. Just not now.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007 06:49:32 AM »

Very crafty and very conservationist (and much more fun than just buying a hook holder for $15 at JoAnn's!)  Hooray for making up directions as you go along - it's the ultimate expression of creativity.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rsisland
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007 03:40:03 AM »

Terrific job!! I think I like your book version better than the roll up kind. You can put it on your bookshelf and hopefully won't missplace it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007 04:51:20 AM »

I think it's just easier to get hooks in and out, too.  I have a roll for my knitting needles and I hate it because it's a pain to untie, unroll, and close up again.  I feared I'd feel the same way about a hook roll.  You see, I'm just lazy...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess*of*capri
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007 06:15:45 PM »

Great idea! And great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
LouraPalmr
Seamstress Of Hairspray Beauty Lounge

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007 06:18:50 PM »

i love this, i have a few book covers without pages, now i know what the hell to do with them! thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"no shirt, no shoes, no dice"

My Etsy - http://www.DevilDogCouture.etsy.com
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007 06:03:27 PM »

Excellent work and great directions, too!  Grin  Thanks so much, I want to do one now and I don't crochet, lol!  Maybe something for mini office supplies to go or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxmetal_mistressxx
+you'll rebel to anything+

I am god or at least I smell like it.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007 08:00:41 PM »

This is an awsome idea. I have so many old school text books that i have no idea what to do. and to be honest don't know what i kept them. I'm going to have to give this a try! Amazing tutorial. Thank you!!!! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like my coffee black just like my metal.

I make fun plastic jewelry check it out!
www.poisonousporkipine.etsy.com
Love personal swaps!
The 100 atc challenge 5/100. The happy 100 atc challange 0/100
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook a Turkey
How to make French Bread Pizza
How to Make Cookie Dough Log
Old Fashioned Beef Stew
Super Bowl Party Chicken Wings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...