A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Creative Places to WORK in the Twin Cities...  (Read 3240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 28, 2007 11:11:21 AM »

So after a FUNtastic 4 days in Minneapolis for NYE I'm seriously considering a move from the West Coast to Minneapolis - I thought the Minnesota board might have some interesting suggestions for places to work, areas to live and any other thoughts on relocating to the "San Francisco of the Midwest." (That's what I call MSP)  You can feel free to PM if you don't want to discuss things out loud. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
lulabelledesigns
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007 07:54:32 PM »

We relocated here from Chicago and LOVE it!

what line of work are you in now? would you be looking to buy a house or condo, or rent? There's a lot of great areas to live in, depending on what you are looking for/can afford...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007 01:10:37 AM »

Wow, you wanna move HERE from the west coast? Hee hee, that's the opposite of me!

There are all kinds of answers to your questions... I guess starting with where to live I would say that south Minneapolis is typically better regarded than North Minneapolis (however, my mom lives in a nice area of North, and Northeast is becoming "the new Uptown" very quickly). The general rule I guess with south Minneapolis is, the further west and south you go, the "better" the neighborhoods get.
Stevens Square is culturally AWESOME but some people don't like hanging out there at night.
Uptown has lots to see but there are lots of yuppies and flaky people starting to catch on that that is a cool area to live, so its getting more expensive, there is more development, more chain stores and condos going up.
Anywhere by a lake is expensive, but if you're coming from the west coast then it probably won't be a huge change. I live 1 1/2 blocks from Lake Harriet and I pay about a thousand dollars a month for a duplex.

There are tons of creative places to work, depending on what kind of job you are looking for. Target headquarters is downtown and everyone I know that went to design school (advertising or fashion) works or has worked there. There are boutiques, salons, coffee shops, art galleries, cool bars, restaurants, and club venues all over the place- the trick is actually getting hired. "Minnesota Nice" means you won't always get a straight answer on whether they are interested in you or not. Also, even though people in Minneapolis are pretty open-minded, the work atmosphere at most places is still quite midwestern and conservative unless you work at a bar, salon or tattoo shop.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
Alak
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007 01:47:14 AM »

Hello!
Nobody to tell how cold it is in Minnesota?
From Switzerland, I lived in StPaul for one school year as art teacher.
I rented a flat in a very nice area "Grand Ave".
The people are friendly, most have ancestors coming from Germany and Scandinavia. They invite you to go to church with them on sundays...
I had botanic drawing classes at Botanical garden. I made binding at MCBA. They have the Minneapolis textile center ( spinning, dyieng wool) where I dyied silk "Japanese style" with "bechamel". So crazy things to do we forgot from a long time here in Switzerland.
There are so many shops of materials for crafting (MIchael's, JoAnn, patchwork fabrics, woolshops, etc). So much good food (Farmer's market, restaurants : fish and good meat from Wisconsin). Delightful for me, french culture...
Fishing on the 10000 lakes. Drive to Duluth, ah! Bob Dylan.
Boating on the Mississipi. Shopping at Stillwater.
To work as teacher: good salary. To 3M, I don't know.
I'm in love with Minnesota!
Have a good day!
Alak
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007 01:52:45 AM »

Hello!
Nobody to tell how cold it is in Minnesota?
From Switzerland, I lived in StPaul for one school year as art teacher.
I rented a flat in a very nice area "Grand Ave".
The people are friendly, most have ancestors coming from Germany and Scandinavia. They invite you to go to church with them on sundays...
I had botanic drawing classes at Botanical garden. I made binding at MCBA. They have the Minneapolis textile center ( spinning, dyieng wool) where I dyied silk "Japanese style" with "bechamel". So crazy things to do we forgot from a long time here in Switzerland.
There are so many shops of materials for crafting (MIchael's, JoAnn, patchwork fabrics, woolshops, etc). So much good food (Farmer's market, restaurants : fish and good meat from Wisconsin). Delightful for me, french culture...
Fishing on the 10000 lakes. Drive to Duluth, ah! Bob Dylan.
Boating on the Mississipi. Shopping at Stillwater.
To work as teacher: good salary. To 3M, I don't know.
I'm in love with Minnesota!
Have a good day!
Alak

Alake', good reply! I always forget how great St Paul is too... don't forget the State Fair too! I know every state has a state fair but ours is THE BEST.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007 03:08:00 AM »

Stevens Square is culturally AWESOME but some people don't like hanging out there at night.

I agree with that MK, I live in Stevens Square which rocks but I don't venture outside after midnight too often.  Another area that I like that was nice, reasonably inexpensive, and kinda close to downtown was in St. Louis Park on the more eastern, kinda close to Uptown area (right off of Hwy 100).  I normally am not a fan of burbs but it wasn't too bad.  And the Grand area of St. Paul is beautiful.

As for work, I just quit good old target (staying at home with new babe and trying to get business started) - it was good for what it was but they are pretty stiff there.  They do try to brainwash you, I had to be at new hire orientation every Monday and there is a song they play over and over and over about target being Fast, Fun, and Friendly.  Arrrggg, make it stop!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007 06:52:27 AM »

I'm loving these tips/thoughts - I've heared about Minnesota Nice...Would my San Francisco Sass fit in?    I was just there yesterday (well at least at the airport - cold!!!)
I have a few friends that live in Uptown - we would hope to buy a house at some point, but finding a job first is the the plan.  Looking forward to more comments and I love St. Paul - think it's very quaint - I wouldn't mind working there, but most of my friends live in MSP so I think that's where I would set up "shop".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007 07:20:10 AM »

The divide between St Paul & Mpls cracks me up, but I live equally between the downtowns, in St Paul, and I get around both easily.

Best Buy HQ in Richfield is really nice for a corporate gig, but if you are looking for something crafty, maybe the local bead, fabric etc stores? There are lots of universities and colleges around. Also quite a few museums that may have interesting jobs available. Try the MIA, Walker, Science Museum, etc.

I think it's kind of difficult to make friends here but people are very polite and generally accepting. If you already have friends, are active in the gay scene, etc it might be easier! Alsthe winter is long and cold! But besides those downsides, it's a great place, the lifestyle is very good, economy is good, lots of culture, and you sound fun to hang out with. So get over here, already!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
gerrijo

I heart bunnies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007 08:02:09 AM »

Minneapolis made #5 on Forbes list of the top 25 cleanest cities in thew world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007 08:06:18 AM »

That's awesome! I love the generally healthy lifestyle and all the greenspace here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sketch Mr. Krabs
How to Sketch Stewie
How to Draw Homer Simpson
How to Draw a Snake
How to Design a Cartoon Shark
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...