A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Ghetto Wristwarmers for the Novice Knitter (no DPNs or circulars required)  (Read 1662 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DeathToFuzzyYarn
« on: January 28, 2007 08:53:47 AM »

Are you tired of knitting seemingly endless scarves that you don't finish due to a lack of inspiration? Do you open up "beginner" patterns but does your brain nearly implode from all of the knitting terms you haven't even heard of yet? Have no fear, this tutorial for super ghetto but really cool looking wristwarmers is here. No DPNs, no circular needles.

If you aren't a super ghetto knitter, here's a really really cool pattern for wristwarmers that I tried but failed at, thus landing me with making this tutorial: http://punkrockpatterns.blogspot.com/2006/12/easy-wristwarmers.html

For my wristwarmers, you will need to know how to...

-Cast on
-Knit (using regular flat needles)
-Use a needle and thread (or you can use a sewing machine, doesn't matter)
-Use scissors to cut a thumbhole
-Increase (really easy, just cast on another stitch when done with a row)

And you will need these materials...

-Knitting needles, not DPNs or circulars but the flat ones. I used Boye Size 8 knitting needles for my wristwarmers.
-A needle and thread. If you get scared by sewing, do not back off. It's really simple and easy. You can also use a sewing machine, I think.
-Scissors
-Yarn (for my wristwarmers I used Red Heart Supersaver 100% Acryllic yarn in Pinata, but you can use anything you want)

---

1. Cast on. This part is wicked important. I have bony wrists so I cast on about 30. Make sure you cast on enough that the wristwarmer will fit.
2. Begin to knit. You can hold up your knitting to your wrist to see how much you have left to do before you get to the thumb.
3. When you knit enough to where the thumb starts extending, increase by one stitch (cast on when you have finished a row of knitting, everyone can do this) and keep knitting.
4. When you feel that it covers enough of your hand, take the work off the needle and wrap it or pin it around your hand to see if you're comfortable with it. Be sure not to pull any cast on loops out in case you want to put your work back on the needle and knit a little more.
5. Thread your needle and fold over the armwarmer so the edges meet. Sew them together. If you feel this isn't secure enough, sew over it again until you feel comfortable. Snip off the needle with your trusty scissors.
6. Slip the wristwarmer on. It's going to feel snug because you haven't cut the thumbhole. Carefully, put your thumb where you want the thumbhole to go in the wristwarmer and take your scissors, then snip a comfortable sized slit. Your thumb will pop through.
7. Voila, you have made a wristwarmer.

In true ghetto fashion, I have no pictures because I have no camera, but I hope to have some up soon.

If your wristwarmers are really loose, wear them over some boring gloves or resize them with scissors or a needle and thread.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007 08:56:16 AM by DeathToFuzzyYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Daiquiri
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007 06:44:00 PM »

This sounds interesting, but does it unravel when you cut the thumbhole?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007 06:46:45 PM »

It very likely will unravel.

No offense, but your pattern looks very similar to the voodoo pattern on Knitty.com. Might I suggest using it, instead, and just make a buttonhole for the thumb? It'll save the hard work put into the armwarmers Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Perfect Bridesmaid Makeup by House of Harper
Melt Proof Your Makeup with Primer
5 Sun Protection Tips
College Makeup Survival Kit
How to Fill in Your Brows Like a Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...