A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I had to do SOMETHING about a small white refrigerator....  (Read 14020 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007 10:39:04 PM »

What a great idea! I love your little fridge, and I'm cracking up at what looks like the little logo plate on the upper right corner of the door - it's a really fun contrast to the luau vibe it has going otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalfBrit
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007 06:14:27 AM »

Thank you all very much.  I really think you can mod podge just about anything, that stuff is so sticky.  I'm going to do a toilet seat next, because ours are about 20 years old and showing a few signs of wear and new ones to fit our toilets run about $60.  Forget that!  I'll paper the old ones and that will work because I have a funky bathroom, anyway.  One has a countertop with glass marbles grouted down all over it.   

It's not hard to do a fridge, you just have to think it out a bit and plan ahead for corners and areas where you'll have to cut around things, like the top where the hinge holes are and the Magic Chef logo plate.   Wink   By using a busy pattern, it really hides the fact that I DID NOT match up the pattern, it was not matchable because it didn't have a good repeat set up, not like wallpaper would.  So I just tried it out before I stuck it down and if was too obvious a mismatch I would try a different piece or turn it a little, but really, this was fast and pretty easy.  I have a few wrinkles but they don't show up  unless you're really scrutinizing it.

I did the front first, doing the edges and gasket areas, then moving on to cover the whole front.  I just spread the mod podge on with a foam brush, got a good layer of it and slapped the paper on, it doesn't tend to slide around much, so place it where you want it.  I found if I used an abundance of podge, it gave me wrinkles, so I did better using just the bare minimum of adhesive.  Overlapped paper instead of trying to butt seams.  Cut the paper edges wavy so I wouldn't have straight lines underneath, pattern helps hide that.

Once the front was done, did the tricky part of the top (you can see I was working on that when I took this photo) and then the rest of the top, overlapping onto the sides about an inch. Then finished up the 2 sides, folding it over onto the back just enough to cover up the real fridge material, about 1/4".  Let that dry, covered the whole thing with more Mod Podge and let dry.  2 coats is plenty, I was in a hurry. 

See?  Not really hard at all.  And not too expensive.  Big change for the bucks.  Be smarter than I am, though, spread a drop cloth  under your piece.   Roll Eyes  I spent a long time wiping up spilled drops.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007 06:35:22 AM by HalfBrit - Reason: Fixed the photo link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
janeofalltrades
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007 09:13:03 PM »

Love it!  How does it wipe down?  Do you think something like that could stand up to my kiddo's messes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiscuit

set phasers to rave

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007 01:42:47 PM »

oooh that is pretty sexy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007 06:01:45 AM »

I think with a couple of good coats of either Mod Podge or a polyurethane finish, it would hold up beautifully to almost anything. 

I'm glad you liked it!  I like it a lot better than white. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007 01:48:14 PM »

Sneeky I like that  Tongue mabey we should do a redo your frigeAlong

Bwah! Hubster already rolls his eyes when he sees my 'newest project' and I protest that I saw it on here, and it was fantastic!
But I would still sooo do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007 02:59:25 PM »

Wow, that's amazing! I wish I could do that to my fridge. It's looks professional! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librisleo
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007 07:23:38 PM »

This is beautiful!!  I have seen some pieces of furniture (small cabinets, etc.) in exclusive stores, with flower themes, that don't look half as nice.  Well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Adam Savage
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007 08:16:51 PM »

That is just too fabulous.  Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
soleilandjune
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007 07:20:34 PM »

Could you please re-upload the second picture? I also have a ratty mini fridge and would love to see what you did with yours  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cupcake Masterclass: Chocolate Decorations
Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
5 Kid-Approved 4th of July Treat Recipes
How to Make a Berry Delicious Dessert for July 4th
Brownie-Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...