A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 316,234
Currently Running With Scissors:
276 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I had to do SOMETHING about a small white refrigerator....  (Read 17959 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HalfBrit
« on: January 28, 2007 07:22:54 AM »

I recently rearranged my craft room and when I thought my little fridge was going to have to reside in the hall part of the room, I hated its whiteness.  What to do, what to do?  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/fawnlily/fridge.jpg

Sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't it, amongst all the wood tones ?  

So I thought "I can't have this, it's hideous.  What can I do?"  Spray painting was not an option, husband was out of town and I would need to bring it down 2 flights of stairs, so I needed to something I could do right there.  

I went to the scrapbooking aisle at Hobby Lobby and found some red hibiscus paper that I liked and bought about 25 12" square sheets of it and two bottles of matte finish Mod Podge.  Then I proceeded to wallpaper my little fridge.  I used my paper trimmer to help me, the scoring blade came in real handy for the tight corners  where only 1/4" of paper was needed, I scored and folded it so it would stay down while the MP set up.  

I got it completely done in one day, finished it off with a couple of coats of MP and let it dry overnight.  Painted the white trim black, varnished that and it was complete.  

I like this so much better than a white fridge! Oh, and I found the only other remaining corner in the room where I could put it, which helps to disguise its ugly boxiness.  It kind of looks like I swaddled it in an Hawaiian shirt, which I hadn't planned for, but I'm getting used to it.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v113/fawnlily/Crafts/craftroom028.jpg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 09:08:53 AM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007 07:25:59 AM »

FANTASTIC!!!!  I wish I could do that to my hideous fridge, but we're renting...Love the paper you used, it looks so swanky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
Merliquin

Saving the world since 1100 AD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007 07:27:16 AM »

wow!
   all the other fridges in the world must be jealous.

great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetyprize
I love sweetyprize at sweetyprize.etsy.com

Shop http://sweetyprize.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007 07:46:14 AM »

I did something like this to my entire bedroom set. It had such boring drawers. I decoupage all this random ephemera onto it, stained the papers blue, then sealed them. One day I will post a pic or two :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so proud of my shop at http://sweetyprize.etsy.com
mini envelopes, unique scarfs, cassette tape recons! New items now available!
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007 07:58:06 AM »

What a great idea! And, it looks like you did a fantastic job of matching up the pattern- I don't know if my patience would have lasted long enough for that!

I have a black fridge that is crying out for something like this- now I just have to find the paper that I like! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
alana1223
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007 08:08:11 AM »

That is the coolest little fridge I've ever seen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalfBrit
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007 08:11:30 AM »

Thank you very much!  Actually, there was no way to match the pattern so I just cut the straight edges of the paper into waves and stuck it down, overlapping about an inch or so when it was time for a new piece of paper.  It seemed to show less than when I had a straight edge.  I did try to keep the paper going in the same direction but it probably wouldn't have mattered with that busy design.  I'm glad i didn't get the striped paper I wanted to buy- that would have been a disaster. 

If you do this to a fridge, be sure to get the edges down really flat where the gasket will hit them, so it seals well and you don't lose cold air.  That occured to me later.  Fortunately my edges were good, but it could have been bad as once Mod Podge sets up, it's pretty darn hard to get off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007 08:21:49 AM »

Thanks for the tips! Now to find a busy enough pattern so I don't have to match the pattern...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
fera festiva

Mad scientist; incorrigible fangirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007 09:03:42 AM »

Shocked WOW. This is really cool - such an original idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AliBeachGrl
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007 09:26:45 AM »

This is great!  Got me thinking about my BIG fridge!

I always wondered why someone didn't offer covers for fridges so we could make them go with out lifestyles better.  Maybe the idea will catch on & complanies will start offering the covers. 

Great imagination & I love that it only took one day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007 09:30:42 AM »

love it.  looks great too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007 09:42:48 AM »

Actually, I did wallpaper a big side-by-side fridge about 25 years ago.  I was living in FL and someone gave us their fridge.  It was harvest gold,  Grin and had some rust on it, so since my XH was a wallpaper hanger and I had helped him a lot, I decided to wallpaper the front of the fridge.  The sides were hidden because it was squeeeeeezed into a nook where it just barely fit. 

I used prepasted paper to match the kitchen paper and it worked perfectly.  Really easy, too, because the width of the paper was enough for each door, no matching or piecing needed. 

I did a rush job on this little fridge because an ice storm was coming and I was afraid I'd lose power and couldn't work in the dark.  If I hadn't been rushing, I'd have spread it out a little because I was having fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poprock6903
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007 09:46:22 AM »

that is one badass fridge! it seems like you should store tropical drink supplies in there or something.  Grin Great job!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007 05:09:27 PM »

that is just wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
that1spazticchik

<3 The Donnas <3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007 05:41:18 PM »

What a great idea! And, it looks like you did a fantastic job of matching up the pattern- I don't know if my patience would have lasted long enough for that!

i agree, how DID you match the paper so wonderfully?? it looks great!!! i love this idea. it looks soooo much better!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007 04:01:24 AM »

Great job! I have the same fridge ..Its shuddering in the corner knowing its no longer safe  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
Amie.v
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007 02:57:55 PM »

WOW! Its sooooo AWESOME! I heart the colours and the pattern - You must have been working hard to get that done in one day! It looks AWESOME!  Grin And you did a wonderfull job.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007 04:59:48 AM »

That is awsome! I love the pattern, and the idea! I have a much smaller frige, I'll have to take another look at it, and decorate it when the Hubster isn't looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
kiwiblue
Personal Swap encouraged

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007 05:31:13 AM »

Sneeky I like that  Tongue mabey we should do a redo your frigeAlong
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SEMPER IN FAECIBVS SVMVM,SOLE PROFNDVM VARIAT
OpheliasLily
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007 10:17:52 PM »

I didn't know that you could modge podge anything other than paper, cardboard and MAYBE wood. How do you do it to plastic? I am a newbie as you may have surmised, so any tips or tricks would be greatlt appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007 10:39:04 PM »

What a great idea! I love your little fridge, and I'm cracking up at what looks like the little logo plate on the upper right corner of the door - it's a really fun contrast to the luau vibe it has going otherwise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HalfBrit
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007 06:14:27 AM »

Thank you all very much.  I really think you can mod podge just about anything, that stuff is so sticky.  I'm going to do a toilet seat next, because ours are about 20 years old and showing a few signs of wear and new ones to fit our toilets run about $60.  Forget that!  I'll paper the old ones and that will work because I have a funky bathroom, anyway.  One has a countertop with glass marbles grouted down all over it.   

It's not hard to do a fridge, you just have to think it out a bit and plan ahead for corners and areas where you'll have to cut around things, like the top where the hinge holes are and the Magic Chef logo plate.   Wink   By using a busy pattern, it really hides the fact that I DID NOT match up the pattern, it was not matchable because it didn't have a good repeat set up, not like wallpaper would.  So I just tried it out before I stuck it down and if was too obvious a mismatch I would try a different piece or turn it a little, but really, this was fast and pretty easy.  I have a few wrinkles but they don't show up  unless you're really scrutinizing it.

I did the front first, doing the edges and gasket areas, then moving on to cover the whole front.  I just spread the mod podge on with a foam brush, got a good layer of it and slapped the paper on, it doesn't tend to slide around much, so place it where you want it.  I found if I used an abundance of podge, it gave me wrinkles, so I did better using just the bare minimum of adhesive.  Overlapped paper instead of trying to butt seams.  Cut the paper edges wavy so I wouldn't have straight lines underneath, pattern helps hide that.

Once the front was done, did the tricky part of the top (you can see I was working on that when I took this photo) and then the rest of the top, overlapping onto the sides about an inch. Then finished up the 2 sides, folding it over onto the back just enough to cover up the real fridge material, about 1/4".  Let that dry, covered the whole thing with more Mod Podge and let dry.  2 coats is plenty, I was in a hurry. 

See?  Not really hard at all.  And not too expensive.  Big change for the bucks.  Be smarter than I am, though, spread a drop cloth  under your piece.   Roll Eyes  I spent a long time wiping up spilled drops.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007 06:35:22 AM by HalfBrit - Reason: Fixed the photo link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
janeofalltrades
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2007 09:13:03 PM »

Love it!  How does it wipe down?  Do you think something like that could stand up to my kiddo's messes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiscuit

set phasers to rave

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007 01:42:47 PM »

oooh that is pretty sexy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007 06:01:45 AM »

I think with a couple of good coats of either Mod Podge or a polyurethane finish, it would hold up beautifully to almost anything. 

I'm glad you liked it!  I like it a lot better than white. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007 01:48:14 PM »

Sneeky I like that  Tongue mabey we should do a redo your frigeAlong

Bwah! Hubster already rolls his eyes when he sees my 'newest project' and I protest that I saw it on here, and it was fantastic!
But I would still sooo do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007 02:59:25 PM »

Wow, that's amazing! I wish I could do that to my fridge. It's looks professional! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

librisleo
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007 07:23:38 PM »

This is beautiful!!  I have seen some pieces of furniture (small cabinets, etc.) in exclusive stores, with flower themes, that don't look half as nice.  Well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Adam Savage
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007 08:16:51 PM »

That is just too fabulous.  Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
soleilandjune
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007 07:20:34 PM »

Could you please re-upload the second picture? I also have a ratty mini fridge and would love to see what you did with yours  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007 06:43:50 AM »

Okey, dokey!  I fixed the photos, hope that helps.

We're talking about getting a new stove and microwave in stainless and black.  Our big fridge is white and not very old, unfortunately.  Unless I can figure out a way to convince my husband that we need a new fridge to match, HA, fat chance, I may end up doing something drastic to the big fridge.  If I threaten to decoupage it, I wonder if that would scare him into coughing up another $1500?   Grin

Or can I hire a hit-man for the fridge?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
riverwatson
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2007 12:05:47 PM »

my list of things i must do before i die has  just gotten longer: I must mod podge a fridge!! i never would have thought of it but i'm so glad you did! it's so funky!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
beezelbubbles
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2007 03:40:02 PM »

Okey, dokey!  I fixed the photos, hope that helps.

We're talking about getting a new stove and microwave in stainless and black.  Our big fridge is white and not very old, unfortunately.  Unless I can figure out a way to convince my husband that we need a new fridge to match, HA, fat chance, I may end up doing something drastic to the big fridge.  If I threaten to decoupage it, I wonder if that would scare him into coughing up another $1500?   Grin

Or can I hire a hit-man for the fridge?   Wink
Actually, when I was a kid we did our cruddy looking (full sized) fridge over in cowprint contact paper. I could swear I've seen "stainless steel" contact paper. Haha... and in college we gave ourselves a "marble" counter top, and "wood" cabinet doors and switchplate covers with contact paper. Everyone was amazed that our suite's bathroom was the one in the whole dorm that had been remodeled, until we told them how we did it. The shocking thing is, we didn't take it down when we moved, and *didn't* get a cleaning fine for it! I was sure we'd be in for it. Now I wonder if it's still there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soleilandjune
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2007 06:10:11 PM »

Thanks for fixing the pictures  Smiley
Now I can see how truely awesome that fridge is!! It's a very good improvement.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LOaccidentallyVE
I'm the lost one.

I HATE Valentine's Day!!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2007 08:30:48 AM »

Ooh, that's awesome!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Stormy*~*

I'm just a girl.

My name is Crash. Don't make me prove it! Wink

I'm a Craftster Goddess!! Cheesy
SlytherinPrefect
Head Girl

*wants you bleeders*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007 02:19:35 PM »

This is so awesome, I want to do it, too!  My SO is threatening to put up a mini-fridge in my room so he won't have to go downstairs to get beers or whiskey or pop.  Roll Eyes  What a whiner! 

Anyway, I've got a ton of leftover ricepaper with leaves stuck in it from when I remodeled my room at my parents' house in an "Asian" theme.  I'm still working on getting that style in the new townhouse, and mod-podgeing the ricepaper onto a minifridge would totally help!  How cool!

I guess as long as you don't get any mod podge on the back part, it's safe, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So, Peter...you've become a pirate..."

Icon courtesy of: http://community.livejournal.com/lily_graphics/2679.html#cutid1

-- knitting, sewing, glass etching, anything else i can get my hands on --
amw
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007 05:20:54 PM »

amazing transformation!! before you know it all fridges will be dying to be this cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annoyinglittlegirl
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2007 12:33:36 PM »

Wow! I wasn't sure at first what you'd be able to do, keeping the fridge looking good, not tacky or anything... but you managed! That looks awesome! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my vegetarian cookery blog Smiley views, comments and FB likes are ALWAYS appreciated!

www.amuse-your-bouche.blogspot.com
bubbanizzlemomma

Beware the smiling Zillameister

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2007 08:07:53 PM »

Woohoo!  The pics are fixed, and now I am going to attack my regular sized fridge in the kitchen.  We just got a new stove that's white and black, and the fridge is almond, so it sticks out like a sore thumb. 
Off to paperaddict.com to find the perfect paper now...tee hee tomorrow is payday!

Your mini is fabulous!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rastapopolous
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007 02:39:29 PM »

That's great, I've been looking for ideas for what to do with refrigerators.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalfBrit
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2007 07:36:45 AM »

Thank you, everyone.

bubbanizzlemomma- I really, really want to see what you do to your big fridge, PLEASE post a picture or two, OK? 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007 07:39:02 AM by HalfBrit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
maggie2187
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007 03:53:04 PM »

SO COOL! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jaimeecakes
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2007 04:40:12 PM »

thats such a good idea!! when i get my own house not apartment im totally going to make my fridge colorful!! i LOVE it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 jaimee
    maybe some women arent meant to be tamed.
    maybe they just need to run free
    until they find someone just as wild to run
    with them
CalamityCJ
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008 11:16:27 AM »

I am SO happy I found this...I live with boys so we have an unsightly mini fridge right in the LIVING ROOM Sad I've been wanting to paint it...but this is so much better.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She's Crafty...
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008 02:03:24 PM »

Seeing your sewing machine next to it, I initially thought you were going to make a fabric cover for your fridge.  I LOVE what you did with it!  The paper looks completely awesome on that fridge and the black detailing is perfect.  I love how you let the company logo show through too.  It absolutely looks fantastic.

Wonder what DH will do if I do that to our drink fridge downstairs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my pinterest
If anyone is swapping with me & happens to see any of the Pickup Trucks Forever stamps on their mail - please pop them in the package for me - my hubby would love them!  Huge pre-emptive thanks
HalfBrit
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2008 06:48:37 AM »

I'm glad you guys like it. I just wanted to give an update- it's been about a year since I did it and it's holding up perfectly, the paper isn't letting go at all and it looks like new.  That Mod Podge is fabulous stuff.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects
OOOOOHKLAHOMA! Where the wind...
Tute Tuesday: Hand-Bound Book

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...