A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,218
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machine - tension problem? Or??  (Read 781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gingembre
« on: January 27, 2007 09:34:57 PM »

So, I have this sewing machine with no manual, and little previous experience LOL (though I have made a skirt and lined a hood thus far with it...oh and made a baby carrier and some wrist cuffs...but I digress) Anyway, I am sewing the lining of the bag I am working on, and the stiches *were* fine...but without my changing anything, it now looks like it is putting way too much thread per stich (so when the seam is done ach stich has a big loop instead of a nice tight stitch). Anyone know what I should do about this?? Huh (It's a White "Jeans Machine" btw) Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info
Just started a wist: (coming soon)

***Personal Swap Friendly!***
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007 09:46:24 PM »

Try messing with the tension - you can turn it drastically one way and see what happens, then turn it drastically the other way and compare, then try to find a "happy medium" - you might be able to find a manual online ... try a google search on your machine model + manual or something, you never know!!  (it's like everything is on the internet these days, lol)

I know what you mean by loops on one side and all, for me, it was tension.  Give it a try - good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
gingembre
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007 09:49:07 PM »

Thanks for the advice - and I did find that I can *order* a manual online, but as I need answers sooner than later I turned to my trusty Craftsters Cheesy Well I am going to go try it, but I am a bit scared of messign with it too much LOL as I really don't know enough to fix anything :|
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info

pibbgirl
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007 09:11:03 AM »

first I would take all the thread (top and bobbin) completely out and rethread.  Then test it out and if this doesn't fix it mess with the tension.  If the loops are on the bottom of what you are sewing then its the top tension, if the loops are on the top then its the bobbin tension.  Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingembre
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007 11:23:50 AM »

first I would take all the thread (top and bobbin) completely out and rethread.  Then test it out and if this doesn't fix it mess with the tension.  If the loops are on the bottom of what you are sewing then its the top tension, if the loops are on the top then its the bobbin tension.  Hope that helps!

Well, there are loops on the top *and* the bottom. I also can't figure out why it would work fine and then stop...maybe the fabric?? It's this thin lining fabric, could that be it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LJ
MySpace
Swap Partner Info

pibbgirl
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007 11:50:19 AM »

Have you tried re-threading it?  Does it work correctly when you sew on thicker fabric?  Did you change to a different type of thread?  My machine doesn't like some threads...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ksew
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007 05:37:13 AM »

I don't have the same machine as you, but this has happened to me before and this is what happens when the loops galore grace my presence.. either (it seems magically) the hole in the needle where the thread goes in is broken, or slit, so the thread comes out of the needle hole. OR I will notice the thread has slipped out of the hole in the take up lever. Did you try completely rethreading? Also.. sometimes if your needle is too thick (like if you are using a jeans needle) the looping occurs. Try using a smaller/ finer needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nattynoodles
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007 08:36:25 PM »

i have the same problem with my machine. here's what helps:
before you begin the re-threading process,
turn the tension to 0--
THEN take out threading and re-thread.
THEN sew a few sample stitches on each setting, until the proper tension is achieved.

that being said, i've had to take my machine to be re-calibrated (aka repaired), so maybe you need to take it in. but try the above first, and use a proper-sized needle.

hope you get it figured out...i always have a deadline to meet, and then all of a sudden my sewing machine is possessed! so, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Death, Deceit and Some Smooth Jazz Book Trailer
Matthew Aaron Goodman Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Meet Dr. Henry Cloud
Meet Author Richard Paul Evans
Valerie Fitzgerald Reveals Who She Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...