A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
363 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle. In the eye.  (Read 10213 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hylas
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007 08:25:16 PM »

Wow, these posts are so eye opening.

Funny, I just saw a picture showing hands hold a woman's eyelids open while someone holds a razor blade toward her.  That photo has really bugged me a lot. 

Thanks so much for posting this.  I hadn't thought about it.  Maybe I'll start wearing glasses instead of contacts for sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We shall continue to have a worsening ecologic crisis until we reject
the Christian axiom that nature has no reason for existence save to
serve man.  ~Lynn White, Jr., "The Historical Roots of Our Ecologic
Crisis," 1967

heather.homelinux.org
ElegantDecay
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007 11:44:17 AM »

I am always thankful that I wear glasses while i'm sewing!! I've never had a needle hit my eye, but it's been close-too close for comfort!

My big eye disaster involved koolaid dying some wool I salvaged from a sweater. It wasn't taking the dye in the microwave, so I did it for longer, and longer. Finally I reckoned it was never going to work, so I put on my hot pads and took it out of the microwave. While doing that, some of the water splashed onto my mitts, soaking through, and burning my hand. In a panic, I pretty much THREW the pan into the sink.  That was a bad idea, because the hot, vinegary water came shooting into my eye. I ran into the bathroom and started splashing, and yelling for my husband.  My eye ended up being okay, but boy was that scary! I couldn't see for a few hours, and my eye hurt, and the skin was singed...but no long term bad affects!

Oh my goodness, that is horrible!  I'm glad you're okay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007 10:49:03 AM »

I am always thankful that I wear glasses while i'm sewing!! I've never had a needle hit my eye, but it's been close-too close for comfort!

My big eye disaster involved koolaid dying some wool I salvaged from a sweater. It wasn't taking the dye in the microwave, so I did it for longer, and longer. Finally I reckoned it was never going to work, so I put on my hot pads and took it out of the microwave. While doing that, some of the water splashed onto my mitts, soaking through, and burning my hand. In a panic, I pretty much THREW the pan into the sink.  That was a bad idea, because the hot, vinegary water came shooting into my eye. I ran into the bathroom and started splashing, and yelling for my husband.  My eye ended up being okay, but boy was that scary! I couldn't see for a few hours, and my eye hurt, and the skin was singed...but no long term bad affects!

Oh my goodness, that is horrible!  I'm glad you're okay!

Mine isn't really crafty at all but I have an eye injury story, too.  I was taking a shower about 3 wks ago (shh...I shower more than that) and had some new shampoo that a friend of mine mailed to me that she made and I was excited to use it.  Unfortunately, the cap sucked and when I closed it the cap snapped back down really quickly and shampoo, a huge blob, flew into my left eye.  Because it was homemade I had no idea what the ingredients were, so if I went blind it would have been a surprise.  My eyelid swelled and turned bright red, my eyeball itself was pink and veiny and would not stop watering for 2 days.  The first morning after it happened, my eye was swollen shut.  Luckily I can see no worse now than before the accident.  However, during the first flinging of shampoo into the eye, I panicked and pulled on my shower curtain pulling the rod down and pounding my foot on the bathtub causing me to slide around at the bottom of it.  Ooh, the pain  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
adoptasong

Once upon a time there were two little girls...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007 06:28:12 PM »

Wow, these posts are so eye opening.

Funny, I just saw a picture showing hands hold a woman's eyelids open while someone holds a razor blade toward her.  That photo has really bugged me a lot. 

Thanks so much for posting this.  I hadn't thought about it.  Maybe I'll start wearing glasses instead of contacts for sewing.

was that by any chance salvador dali's un Chien Andelu?  (sp) because if it is, thats an amazing movie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007 06:39:25 PM »

here I thought i was the dumb one getting a needle in my eye! Seems I'm not alone here. I was selling a sewing machine in a mall showing a woman how to use the twin needle when she asked about the embroidery stitches. Well I forgot the twin needle was in there and dialed in an embroidery stitch, Stupid needle broke and I got it in the eye. Amazingley she was a nurse and told me to go to the hospital. Four days with an eye patch and bunch of tests and drops and whatnot. I lost a fair bit of money not being able to do my other job which was sewing and alterations -but I did sell that machine!
My husband has since then called sewing a contact sport!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quillian91
Maniac with Hot Glue...

Craftster: Where Tacky is Tasteful.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007 11:19:41 AM »

Ouch! These make my own eyes hurt... O__O

Last night though, I was doing some hand sewing on a plushie, and I was listening to some music. Well, when this really good part came up, I got really into it, and I kind of threw my arms out. I forgot there was thred in my hand, and the needle swung around and grazed the skin right below my eye. It left a pretty good scratch...

Scared the hell out of me though. From now on, I'm going to listen to Chopin when sewing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hazzard, Approach with caution! Especially if I am holding a Hot Glue gun!
http://www.wists.com/quillian91
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007 12:23:40 PM »

damn who knew you needed goggles to sew. well my grandma swallowed a needle one time. how funny is that......well not funny but unexpected.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007 07:27:23 PM »

I have had needles fly in my mouth but THANKFULLY my glasses have kept the eyes safe (THUS far...knock on wood!).  However, a few days ago, my beastly machine broke a needle (not I, but the machine...really! it is EVIL) and it flew up at my throat.  I kept feeling my neck to make sure there wasn't a needle tip stuck in it.  I have been sewing in a more "relaxed" posture....leaning WAYYY back in my seat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BelovedGoddess
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007 10:50:38 PM »

EWWWW to all of that

But I think I can trump this one and make you all go " ewww Shocked".

When I was at school during sports, one girl decided that she didn't want to carry the javillen she had just collected back to the next in line so she threw it.  It hit the ground just in front of me and flipped over sending the blunt end into my eye.  Luckily it only hit the white part, but stitches in the eyeball are not fun at all.  Nor are the drops the doctor used in my eye, which I had a reaction to and made the skin around my eye and forehead blister.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

vintagedolz
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007 10:01:38 AM »

Good Lord Almighty!

Note to self - add safety goggles to sewing kit! Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Interview for a Documentary
How to Shoot an Interview
Recording Room Tones
How to Use Reflectors
How to Get the Right Depth of Field
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...