A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 67393 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

handknitneighbrhd
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2005 05:06:38 PM »

Get a load of THIS.  I just flew (America West) from East Coast to West Coast and I'm happily stockinetting along when one of the flight attendants says, "Oh, you're knitting too?  One of our gals is back there making a scarf!  Judy, c'mere!"  And they proceed to check out my neckwarmer hood while the other attendant shows me her scarf.  So you KNOW if a FA was knitting, it must be okay.  Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bringing neighbors together to keep neighbors warm.
athena404
« Reply #241 on: November 06, 2005 07:52:54 PM »

Get a load of THIS.  I just flew (America West) from East Coast to West Coast and I'm happily stockinetting along when one of the flight attendants says, "Oh, you're knitting too?  One of our gals is back there making a scarf!  Judy, c'mere!"  And they proceed to check out my neckwarmer hood while the other attendant shows me her scarf.  So you KNOW if a FA was knitting, it must be okay.  Haha.

thats so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alligatorjuice
overworked, unappreciated and undercooked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: November 09, 2005 11:22:00 AM »

hey, here's some recent news on stuff you can take on airplanes. new, as in i just scanned this from the issue of time that came in the mail today.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
knittinglizzie
Knitting Lizzie

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 09, 2005 11:55:18 PM »

yeah this is bs (i read it earlier on lj punk knitters!  Wink ) knitters are not terrorists! until you deny their right to knit!

you know my 78 year old grandmother ALWAYS gets checked extra at the airport... and she doesn't even carry her knitting on the plane.

I even got the evil eye when I had my urban decay purfume called pistol with a picture of a gun on the box.

They need to pay attention to the things that really can cause danger. Who ever heard of someone dying from a pair of 3 inch tweezers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2005 08:41:12 AM »

maybe u could turn tweezers into a weapon if u tied some yarn around the bent middle part of the tweezers and then started swinging it around and aimed at someone and let go.. I don't know, maybe it would cause some damage 0.0`
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 10, 2005 03:00:24 PM »

I'm always shocked at the things they take from regular passengers, but bring on themselves. Anyone want to debate which would be worse: my dpns or getting hit in the head with a bottle of wine?

I still maintain, a can of coke in a sock would do far more damage than my nail clippers ever could!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #246 on: November 10, 2005 03:24:26 PM »

in case anyone wanted to know,
no flights leaving an Australian airport, domestic or international flights will allow knitting needles in your carry on. I checked the other day as i was going to go to NZ with my partner in December. I'm not going now (can't afford it) but thought I'd share my knowledge gained  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
finecraftnerd

may knit while driving...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: November 10, 2005 03:36:56 PM »

heh heh heh...it's funny that I would find this thread tonight!  I'm going to be leaving soon to fly home to VA and I'm definitely taking a knitting project with me!  

Funny story:
I've never had a problem flying about the US, but Europe is a different story.  3 years ago when I was flying home from Germany, on a Delta flight, there was a separate security checkpoint for the Airlines based in the US. I got through the first security checkpoint just fine, but at the second one the security lady made me pull out everything in my backpack when she found yarn but no needles.  She wouldn't let me leave until I found the (plastic) crochet hook in the very bottom of my bag.
Then this spring coming back from London I was stopped for 10 minutes while I tried to explain what I was doing with a set of 4 (plastic) circular knitting needles.  They did finally let me through though.

My advice:
I always put the knitting in a place where it can be seen, and if it's an unfamiliar airport I'll usually say "I have a knitting project on plastic/bamboo needles, is this OK?"  I also fly with only the needles necessary for the project I'm taking, and it's always something I've already started. This usually gets me through just fine Smiley

Edit (after reading more of the thread):  I guess I was luckey in London and Germany!  Here's my list of knitting needle friendly airports: T.F. Greene in Providance, BWI, Dulles (D.C) I've also had no trouble in Ft. Lauderdale, Logan (Boston), and Cluj Napoca (Romania).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005 03:57:59 PM by finecraftnerd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

raised in the suburbs by eccentrics and nerds...

Etsy Store:
http://ChelseaEBird.etsy.com

My jewelry website:
www.ChelseaEBird.com
alligatorjuice
overworked, unappreciated and undercooked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: November 10, 2005 08:19:30 PM »

Anyone want to debate which would be worse: my dpns or getting hit in the head with a bottle of wine?

actually, when i posted this on the punk knitters lj, i posted a paragraph from a forensic anthropology book in a reply - i said that sneakers have been used as a murder weapon, and while you do often have to take your shoes off or run them over some sort of detector, they're not confiscated as weapons. the paragraph i posted was on all sorts of wierd weapons (in addition to sneakers, the author had seen artificial limbs and a frozen ham, as well as  many other things, used as murder weapons). well, in the following papragraph (which i didn't post) the author talked about wine bottles (and the old glass soda bottles) being used commonly as weapons of opportunity - they can easily be used as deadly weapons. and you don't see them banning multi-serving beverage containers from planes, do you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafting is something i do when life doesn't present me enough ways to dye my hands funny colors.
rachillsk8
« Reply #249 on: November 15, 2005 07:41:06 PM »

I took some size 8 plastic needles on a plane last month and had no problem whatsoever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Getting Introduced to Pottery
Great Ideas for Cheap Halloween Costumes
Pottery Making: How to Make Funky Vases
Pottery Making: How to Make Enclosed Candles and Shakers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...