A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 59105 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

washu
« Reply #430 on: April 18, 2007 08:42:59 AM »

I know there's been some discussion on flying with needles already, but I specifically want to know if I can fly from the US to Frankfurt with needles in my carry on, if anyone knows. 

The EU doesn't seem to have a nice, easy list of permitted and nonpermitted items in a nice, readily accessible place like TSA... best I could find was on Frankfurt Airport's website... pocket knives with blades less than 6 cm are okay (!)... so maybe knitting needles would be also??  Huh  Everything I could find seems oriented on the whole plastic baggie thingy, which I already know about and who cares about shampoo, people, what everyone really wants to know is ARE KNITTING NEEDLES OKAY OR NOT?!  Angry  Sorry, that wasn't directed at you all, but the powers that be over my air travel knitting goodness--I don't really MIND these regulations but if they are going to have them I'd like to know what the HECK they are, you know?  Certainty--it's a beautiful thing.  Smiley  And can I just add, right here, that info on crafty stuff on planes is pretty darn hard to find, but I'm here to tell ya, no CATTLE PRODS, no NUNCHAKUS, no MEAT CLEAVERS... I'm so glad those items are on the list, you know, because I was UNSURE if I could bring my CATTLE PROD on the plane.  I mean, first of all how many people even have a cattle prod, and secondly, what kind of an idiot would ever think that'd be okay??

I know knitting needles are permitted on domestic flights (although a screener could be a butt and take them away--I'm prepared to take that risk). 

I hope to take 9" bamboo #4 straight needles if I can.  I want to work on Knitty's Argosy during my flight!  You know, because it's... spring....

EDIT:  I found this link http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com/cms/default/dokbin/214/214610.verbotene_gegenstaende_nach_euvoengl0611.pdf

It both says knives with blades less than 6 cm are prohibited AND allowed.   Huh But nothing about knitting needles.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007 08:47:21 AM by washu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: April 18, 2007 10:08:42 AM »

search this thread http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=14840.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

washu
« Reply #432 on: April 18, 2007 10:25:22 AM »

I did search that thread.  The problem is that the only post regarding Germany is from 2004 and the regulations all changed last fall after that UK - US terrorist plot thingy.  I was hoping for newer information.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessliak
« Reply #433 on: April 18, 2007 11:40:36 AM »

I had no trouble with my knitting needles, but oddly enough, they did take my plastic tapestry needle when leaving the country.  How strange is that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #434 on: April 18, 2007 11:53:11 AM »

you should call the airline you are flying and ask them directly. be sure to indicate that you are concernecd about both the outbound and return flights for different reasons.

According to the tsa.gov site as of today; april 18, 2007, knitting needles and crochet hooks are permitted on flights departing a US airport.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#4
you will need to check whatever is the eu or german TSA site for your return flight, since it is departing a non US airport.  (when i flew HOME from portugal the security protocol was very different than when i flew TO lisbon)

of course, be very sweet when you are at the security check point, and be prepared to have the screener refuse the the project. someone once said that if you have the work actually in progress on both needles (ie, in the middle of a row, and some fabric on the go) you'll get less static.

eta: i just went to the lufthansa site and this is what they have to say about flights leaving Germany headed to the US:
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/baggage?l=en&nodeid=1769620#ancN65539 I chose lufthansa just as a point of reference
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007 12:08:02 PM by kmsmaverick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: April 18, 2007 12:27:51 PM »

the last time i flew into germany was late last summer.  it wasn't a problem to take sock needles and sock yarn, and that was after the whole have-your-stuff-in-baggies rule.  things have been a teensy more relaxed since then.  just in case, I would bring a SASE with me that has been prepaid and preweighed with all your knitting stuff in it.  you can always mail it back to yourself if for some reason the rules change. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #436 on: April 18, 2007 04:05:15 PM »

Everyone, please, there's no point posting here to ask about flying with needles. That is individually up to the airline and you have to ask them. You will get a better-informed response. PLEASE just ask the airline.
Sarah
P.S. I would switch to wood/bamboo/plastic and put the needles in my pocket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
washu
« Reply #437 on: April 19, 2007 01:59:04 PM »

Forgive me for asking a knitting-related question on the knitting discussions and questions board.  Had I known I'd get so thoroughly shot down, I wouldn't have bothered, believe me. 

It's NOT up to the airline, btw, and they don't have the information I wanted.  My hope was that someone who'd actually done this recently would repsond.  And someone did (thank you, betzi, princessliak).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #438 on: April 19, 2007 07:06:16 PM »

Actually, I wasn't being bitchy, I was trying to help people who seem to think that other knitters are an expert source of advice on (say German) airline policy. If the airline itself isn't clear on its website about knitting needles, it's extremely unlikely that people here, who don't even know what airline you're on, will be able to tell you for certain. So relax.
I see a lot of posts from people who ask 'can i take x on planes?' and people post to say 'yes' or whatever. Some people will be turning up with their needles. 'But my online Craftster friends said I could take them on...' won't cut it. That's why someone else also advised you to ask the airline, because they know more about their policies than we do. You're not being shot down, you're overreacting. They do have the information you want, and they will be the most reputable, reliable, accurate authority on their own policies. See that idea at the end? That was a suggestion, which one doesn't add when being purely bitchy.

Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: April 19, 2007 07:19:45 PM »

The bottom line is, it's up to the screener.  If the screener thinks your knitting needles are a weapon, they will be confiscated, no matter what the TSA or the airline says.

To be safe, I never carry knitting when I fly.  My main vice is cross stitch, so I carry a cross stitch project.  If they confiscate my needle, no problem, my work won't unravel and I can pick up a new needle later on... unlike knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Latest Digital Cameras
Extreme Sports Photography
Latest Cameras in the Market
New Releases for Photographers
Photography and Make Up
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...