A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 58190 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pippienna
« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2006 01:04:22 PM »

I flew this summer Maine-Boston-Miami-Belize, and then back again, with metal dpns in my carryon, and it wasn't an issue at all... of course, on the way back I had a sharpened machete in my checked baggage and they didn't even ask about that, so maybe they were just in a good mood or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lookagnome
« Reply #341 on: September 24, 2006 10:56:34 AM »

I've got a flight from Seattle to London coming up in a month - hmmm, 12 hours on a plane (hopefuly sleeping most of the way.) I wonder if I should dare to bring my kit?

Getting there, probably not a big deal. Coming back - well, the brits are a bit crazy right now.

maybe bring it and then put it in your check baggage on the way back. losing a kit would be devistating and you're right the brits arent taking any risks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2006 07:01:54 AM »

I flew last week and they took away my sulky white transfer pen! However, my embroidery scissors were A-OK to fly with! Ya, I don't get it either.  Luckily, the ladies that did the screening were crafty and held them for me at their station until I got back in town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2006 07:18:13 AM »

I've got a flight from Seattle to London coming up in a month - hmmm, 12 hours on a plane (hopefuly sleeping most of the way.) I wonder if I should dare to bring my kit?

Getting there, probably not a big deal. Coming back - well, the brits are a bit crazy right now.

Don't know about crazy but were are more safety conscious at the moment. It's mainly fluids that are the current problem, but I'm going to have to endure a 5 hour flight to Egypt next month without needles I think because I can't get a definite answer from them and I certainly don't want it confiscated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristinmm
« Reply #344 on: September 27, 2006 06:52:09 PM »

I am flying Philadelphia to San Diego next week.  I'm planning on bringing bamboo dpns and embroidery scissors.  According to TSA's website, they're allowed at the moment.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drcliquet
« Reply #345 on: October 04, 2006 08:13:11 AM »

Thanks kristinmm, definitely your list is a must. I'll print it and have it with me for my transoceanic flight next month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Catiana
NY <3's me!

100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: October 09, 2006 04:30:41 PM »

Can u bring needles Sydney-Hawaii? Im going and I was still wondering if the plastic bag take nothing thing is still around. I know u cant take them into Aus but out?
Also bcos ppl take needles around the US , can't u take them in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time, get wasted all the time and have the time of your life.
____
Got bacon? 

www.myspace.com/gotbacon
CrazedWizard

I can fly! I can fly! I can...oh s%^$

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2006 06:38:39 AM »

The saying is "Bamboo Get Through" and I have heard that this is very true. So if you have bamboo neddles I think you'll be fine although  after 9/11 I'm not sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ohhh blog (I hate the word "blog) goodness. http://ribbonsofwords.blogspot.com/
auntiem
« Reply #348 on: October 12, 2006 02:21:56 PM »

This is from the tsa page - I'd bring a printed copy to show at the Sydney airport, because what usually happens (to me anyways) is that the country sending you to the US is more strict than the US is.
Oh, and depending on your arrival airport you don't have any way to mail things back to yourself.
from TSA:
Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.  However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers.  Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security.  We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane: 

Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
Scissors must have blunt points
In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.
As a precautionary measure we recommend that you carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint
Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside.  These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KnitStix
« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2006 11:17:51 AM »

I'm not sure about the scissors part....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 07:37:29 PM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Preserve a Newspaper Clipping
How to Press Flowers and Leaves
How to Reuse Old Business Cards
How to Sharpen Scissors
How to Strip Wood
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...