A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,029
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 59121 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Talz
« Reply #490 on: December 17, 2007 10:39:24 PM »

in the last month i've flown to and from Montreal and New York twice with both metal and bamboo knitting needles with no problem

they're also approved on tsa.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #491 on: December 18, 2007 01:56:46 AM »

It depends how much you like your needles. I personally would take short wooden needles without knobs on the end, or DPNs, and put them in a pencil case with a couple of pens. Or at least take blunt harmless ones. I would also take a printout of the website that says they are not automatically forbidden, and ask at the checkout desk whether they can be taken on. If the staffer says yes, make sure to look at their tag and remember their name.
You might like instead to approach the checkpoint and take your needles out straight away and say 'I brought these because they are no sharper than pencils and pens, and check-in said they were okay'...
But it is really luck, and if they want to take stuff off you, they can, even if pens are more effective as a weapon. So you are kind of gambling with your needles.

What I would do with non-DPNs is have wooden ones and put them in my pocket or inside my trousers - taped to my leg probably. DPNs in my pocket.

BTW, there are tons of flights where knitting needles are not allowed (and I am as white as Nicole Kidman), including domestic flights within small countries not at risk of terrorist attacks.

Only you can decide whether it's worth the disappointment to you to lose needles but if you do try for it do have a lifeline ready so the stitches won't drop.

P.S. 'Wanked off' means something dirty in English English. Might want to correct spelling?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoredOutOfMyMind
« Reply #492 on: December 18, 2007 02:20:21 AM »

I don't know if other places also have this rule but EU has special rules about liquids in your carry-on. Google it for more information. About knitting needles: London airports doesn't allow knitting-needles on the plane.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy's Law - All that can go wrong, will go wrong
sludge
« Reply #493 on: December 18, 2007 09:20:08 AM »

what do you consider London airports?

I fly from Atlanta GA USA to Gatwick 3 or 4 times a year to see my family and I've never had a problem carrrying my knitting.  In fact I was last there a week and a half ago, no problem at all.  Right now I'm working on an entrelac scarf and worked on it both ways across the "pond".

The only time I had a problem going through security was I think one time last year when I forgot to put my round nose scissors in my bag and had a small pair of pointed tipped scissors.  Those were preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'taken............never'), ever have I been stopped or questioned about my knitting going through security.

I also fly backwards and forwards from Atlanta to Chicago to see my adult children 3 or 4 times a year and take my preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'knitting.........never') a problem there.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: December 18, 2007 10:41:53 AM »

This question has come up on this board before.

Bottom line is, even if knitting needles are supposedly allowed (as they are on domestic flights within the US), it's up to the screener.  If you must take your knitting, don't bring needles you wouldn't want to lose, and do have some thread or something so that you can keep your work from unraveling if your needles are taken.

(I dodge the issue entirely by bringing cross-stitch instead of knitting.  Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamawesome

Hi, I'm Haley, and I talk too much..

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2007 09:26:44 PM »

spelling changed Smiley

and in athens airport they would NOT let you get on the plane with knitting needles. and I do apologize about saying that it was cause of my race or whatever, because this time they were really really nice, the person by the checkpoint apologized and seemed really sorry  that he had to do it. so I guess I was just being wierd! Smiley

and i did take like plastic ones that can't rlly hurt anything/anybody..but they still had to take it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're a towel" - towelie, south park
redwitch
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2007 04:11:22 AM »

I'm glad they were nice about it... sometimes they are unspeakably rude, act like you're a criminal, and they're totally entitled and reasonable. Completely infuriating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: December 21, 2007 08:23:49 AM »

If it helps anyone, I noticed recently that Liverpool airport (north west England) has added knitting needles to their hazardous items list posters which are up on the check-in desks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - The Bordeaux Lip
A Facial With Celebrity Aesthetician Nerida Joy
Top 5 Best Natural Skin Care Products
Three Beauty Products That Moisturize With Hyaluronic Acid
Top 3 Antioxidant-Packed Snacks for Beautiful Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...