A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 57941 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amey
« Reply #450 on: June 17, 2007 01:57:32 PM »

http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Saeros
« Reply #451 on: June 17, 2007 05:14:26 PM »

I would assume it isn't a problem but thought I'd ask - has anyone had any trouble bringing their knitting needles through airport security?

My friend did, we were headed over seas though, to England, I had brought some crochet and she had brought knitting.  I had a simple plastic hook and she had brought some metal needles, they said no to the needles but they were fine with the hook. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Because I can
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: June 17, 2007 05:26:47 PM »

How about we all be anarchist & throw the airlines for a loop. Carry chop sticks & some sandpaper & make your own on the plane.  Roll Eyes

I swear the state of the world is so screwed up. You know if I had a big boofont hairdo & uses hairsticks that you probably couldn't see would they be confiscated mid-flight. It's so silly that we have be the ones that suffer when everyone knows if you are a terrorist & really wanted to get a pointy object on a plane you could.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erincatherine
« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2007 06:05:48 PM »

i know this post is 400 pages long, but i flew 6 times on 3 different airlines last month, so I thought I would share my experiences:

the Philadelphia, Pa airport is awesome.  You can bring needles on the plane, no problem.  Even 32" size 1 metal circs, which seem to get more attention than the big guys. ALso I flew from Colombus Ohio with size 1 metal needles and that was no problem, either. 

I flew from Philly to Germany (no problem -- I had about 5 pairs of needles in my bag) and on the same day when we went through the necessary steps to fly from Germany to Milan, the woman in Germany checking my luggage told me to "get a new hobby" and that knitting needles were illegal in the US on ALL flights.  (not true!) She told me that under no circumstances could I take my knitting out on the plane on the flight to Milan.

I flew from Zurich to Germany with bamboo needles (I bought some in Zurich) and no one batted and eye, and then germany to Philly was no problem with    the bamboo.

So, all in all, I think it is very inconsistent.  But in the continental US, it should be okay. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns. etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns. blogspot.com
ebullientemily
« Reply #454 on: June 20, 2007 09:49:23 PM »

I'm leaving tomorrow for DC and I just cast on for Jaywalkers with some Knitpicks size 1 DPNs--I feel so doomed!

Is it even worth tucking them in my carry-on? I mean, they're $4 needles, but I'd sort of like to keep them.
Would it make sense to ask someone at the check-in desk, or are they just going to say no (and even if they say yes, couldn't the screener say no)?

The rational part of me is saying it's only a total of three hours in flight (plus quite a bit more time waiting in airports), but I'm still sort of bummed about the whole thing.

I have enough sock yarn to cast on with some bamboo size 2 DPNs for some other pattern, but I'd rather be working on something I'm really excited about!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redwitch
« Reply #455 on: June 20, 2007 10:31:13 PM »

I don't see why you couldn't get an answer about whether they'll be allowed in, before you check baggage, so as to know whether they need to be packed. So do ask. However, the airport might not agree, if they say we can't give you a guarantee, and since you don't want to lose them, do pack them. If you are told that they can be taken on, ask how you can prove this to the scanners if they disagree: so have something in writing, or remember the name and description of the person allowing them (e.g. Janie at the Airline X counter). If you don't get a guarantee, don't complain if they're taken...
Honestly, I would take wood/bamboo DPNs in my pocket. Once on the plane if anyone asks, say 'security didn't say a word about them'. Remember the security guy who took a kid's GI Joe or something because the doll had a plastic gun attached to its hand, because 'no firearms or imitation firearms of any kind are permitted'? These are not all smart or reasonable people.
Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #456 on: June 20, 2007 10:34:29 PM »

Before I check my bags I show my knitting to the person who checks boarding passes so you can get in line for screening.  "Excuse me, am I going to be allowed to bring these on the plane, or should I check them now?"  Every time, LAX, Boston, Dallas, Burbank, and other airports have all been helpful and they all told me the needles would be okay.  Usually the Line Guard (for lack of a better term) yells over to a screener and the screener yells back that the needles will be fine.  Then I get in that screener's line after I check my bags.

It really doesn't hurt to ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2007 12:49:23 PM »

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but what about knitting looms, like a knifty knitter?  I know it wouldn't always fit with the current project, but at least it would be something knit-wise to do.
In 2005, I flew from the US to Nicaragua.  I took a metal crochet hook, nail clippers and yarn and made granny squares on the flight.  No one had any problem with it, but if they had, I wouldn't have lost much work either.  But then I wasn't allowed to take metal circular needles into a concert.  Go figure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
dancedupapillon
« Reply #458 on: June 24, 2007 07:50:54 PM »

My sister argued with a security guy to let her take a crochet hook with her by comparing it to the pen they were letting her keep in her purse.  "Which one seems sharper to you?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
luvacop
« Reply #459 on: July 04, 2007 01:02:57 PM »

I have yet to hear of anyone being accosted with knitting needles. "Look out! She's got circulars!"  Maybe James Bond can do something fancy with them...

Can't put stuff in your pockets anymore and try to get away with it...not if they are using the x-ray that "sees under your clothes." 

Who can keep up with the ever changing rules? Just ask ahead of time, hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Omar Tyree
Meet Author Paul Byrd
The Pop-Up Yellow Square Book Trailer
21 Nights Book Trailer Short Version
Andrew Clements Talks About Nora Rowley Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...