A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 60479 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlepunkkitty
« Reply #440 on: April 25, 2007 05:47:45 PM »

so i just called british airways and was on hold for 15 minutes before i remembered that i could always turn to trusty ol' craftster for this info.  anyhoo, just as i was logging on they picked up my call and the answer is no.  they do not allow knitting needles on british airways Sad  i have a flight home from amsterdam, stopping in england and then again in chicago before i get home to northern california and since i can't take my knitting on the plane in amsterdam i won't have knitting the entire time.  this is enough to bring a girl to tears!  i leave there at 11:45 am and i don't get home until 9 pm.  ugh, a whole days knitting wasted
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: April 25, 2007 06:28:10 PM »

I guess now's a good a time as ever to learn how to crochet, right? lol.  Grin (unless you already know how to...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: April 27, 2007 12:40:27 AM »

I'm flying from the UK - USA next month and here is the response I got from my query to BA:

"Thankyou for your query,  I'm afraid that you will not be permitted to take knitting needles in your cabin luggage,  however
you will be allowed to take a crochet hook as they are blunt ended"

Shame about the needles but it gives me a chance to practice crochet which is a good thing cause I am a newbie and have a lot to learn! I'm going to take plastic hooks just to be on the safe side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlepunkkitty
« Reply #443 on: May 05, 2007 12:10:38 PM »

UPDATE:  so my bf's mother brought up a really good point about us flying from amsterdam to the us (the whole "no knitting on BA" thing).  we have to go through customs when we get into the us, so we will have our luggage with us and i can just pull them out then!  yay! only 1/2 day wasted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #444 on: May 07, 2007 06:14:34 AM »

Okay, here's the latest.  My (beautiful, hand-carved, expensive, exotic wood) shawl pin was confiscated!  I got to keep the "frame" part, but they took the actual pin.  It's not exactly this pin pictured here, but it's the same style.  I was shocked - the pin is pointy, but no pointier than a pen, and is very short.  Now, I have to write to the artisan to see if she'll sell me just the pin part - sigh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atrebla
« Reply #445 on: May 07, 2007 10:03:05 AM »

As has been posted previously, in the US it is up to the individual screener what is allowed through security.  Personally I have never had anything confiscated, but I ask myself the question, would I be OK giving up X, before I decide to take it as carry-on.  Friends, acquaintaces, and co-workers have so many stories about confiscations that I can't imagine how they are justified that I'd rather be safe.  The hardest to understand?  A 3" black plastic men's comb.  You know the one that are about $0.50 US in any drugstore?  I figure if that can be confiscated as dangerous anything that I might have can also.  So if I'm not willing to lose it, it goes into checked baggage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
viri
« Reply #446 on: June 11, 2007 03:18:23 AM »

Hungarian Arlines told me I1m not even allowe dto take crochet hook cuz they can be pointy as well. I'm flying from Hungary to Spain in September. I have manual fixation (ok I made this up) i have to do knitting or crochet. So i was thinking taking  wooden needles in my pencil case and keep fingers acrossed they won't tell. And if so I  only loose a cheap self made needle which is replaceable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"capoeira e meu irmao"
tuatara
« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2007 05:17:48 AM »

i think that the policy of individual airlines means diddlysquat when it comes to actually going through security.  as a few people have pointed out, it is ultimately up to the person who screens your bag.  the security staff do not work for any particular airline and they are unlikely to know the various policies of all the different airlines flying from their airport.

in my experience the allowing or disallowing of needles seems very random, and i have been given a collection of different answers by calling the airline, asking the check-in staff, and asking the security staff.

i think the sensible solution for everyone is to follow the oft-repeated nuggets of advice that lots of craftsters have posted here ... such as:

* only travel with bamboo or plastic needles/hooks
* don't take equipment that you would be upset to lose
* take a prepaid self-addressed envelope to post your stuff to yourself in an emergency
* for knitting, threading a safety line through your stitches before going through security will mean that you can whip out the needles quickly if you need to give them up (dental floss is good for this)

i'm sure there are more handy tips as well - maybe we can collate all of them into a one-stop list of how to do your chosen craft on a plane?  (without being arrested by an air marshall!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty_kitty
« Reply #448 on: June 11, 2007 06:12:35 AM »

I agree with tuatara.  We should gather all this info together.  It would be quite useful for the knitting traveller.  There is also advice on my post

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=174964.0

I hope that link works.  Anyway, my post is called "knitting on the plane".

THIS ROCKS   Logged
badass knitter
« Reply #449 on: June 16, 2007 05:25:56 PM »

Where do i find the FFA list?? Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting- if everyone did it there would be less problems in the world.
SO MUCH YARN!!!....... so little time!!
Any good patterns you see please send me a message about them.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making DVD Christmas Ornaments with Tanya Memme
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...