A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,312
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting needles on airplanes?  (Read 67768 times)
Tags for this thread: travel  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redwitch
« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2007 04:22:46 PM »

First, I don't remember any Afghani terrorists hijacking planes, but if you are lucky enough to be flying on a flight where knitting needles are allowed according to the website, I'd print it out and have it with me. If anyone tried to take them off me, I'd kick up a stink - including requesting to speak with their superior -, because it's fair to take them if listed! Re crochet hooks, I would send an e-mail saying 'I see knitting needles are permitted, can you just confirm that applies to crochet hooks also?'.
Last resort, if you're willing to risk losing your hook, you could show them the printout and say 'But this says I can bring my knitting on the plane!'. They may not know it's crochet.
Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gomerriffic
« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2007 06:15:49 PM »

A long time ago I read of people with similar concerns/restrictions. They suggested  to take an envelope addressed to yourself and if they won't let you on with them, just drop them in the post and be on your merry way w/your needles finding their way back home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlett
« Reply #412 on: March 19, 2007 06:41:17 PM »

First, I don't remember any Afghani terrorists hijacking planes, but if you are lucky enough to be flying on a flight where knitting needles are allowed according to the website, I'd print it out and have it with me. If anyone tried to take them off me, I'd kick up a stink - including requesting to speak with their superior -, because it's fair to take them if listed! Re crochet hooks, I would send an e-mail saying 'I see knitting needles are permitted, can you just confirm that applies to crochet hooks also?'.
Last resort, if you're willing to risk losing your hook, you could show them the printout and say 'But this says I can bring my knitting on the plane!'. They may not know it's crochet.

Alas, printing out the list won't necessarily work, as others have pointed out.  It's not "fair" to take items because they're on the list.  Just because something is on the permitted list doesn't mean you are guaranteed to be allowed on board with it.  Ultimately the screener (and their supervisors) can decide that you can't take Item X on the plane even if it is on the permitted list. 

Raising a stink might result in you missing your plane while they question you about your sinister craft-supply-related plot ... people in authority don't like to have their authority questioned.  You push, they are going to push back.  I would try polite requests instead of stink-raising.

This is why I use the Denise set ... nobody even knows it's knitting until I put it all together.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trisarahtop
« Reply #413 on: March 19, 2007 08:07:03 PM »

Raising a stink might result in you missing your plane while they question you about your sinister craft-supply-related plot ... people in authority don't like to have their authority questioned.  You push, they are going to push back.  I would try polite requests instead of stink-raising.

On top of that, it can get you in longer-lasting trouble than just a missed flight. My parents flew somewhere last fall, and on the way home my mom realized she was missing her license. She had a student ID with her, but since she's not the expected age of a college student, the person at the check-in counter didn't want to let her get on (of course, the ID worked on the out-bound flight, but oh well). She caused a big stink about that, of course. Then a few weeks ago, she came to visit me and brought a bunch of polymer clay/polymer clay accessories. Due to the funny shapes, rubber gloves, and white powder, her bag was searched and some of her stuff was actually taken out - it's at the screener's discretion. Anyway, after that long story, my mom is now pretty sure that she's on some kind of watchlist, whether it's from the argument at the airport, or the weird stuff in her suitcase. So don't cause a stink. Be prepared to self-send your stuff home, or just put it in your checked luggage to begin with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
redwitch
« Reply #414 on: March 19, 2007 08:22:40 PM »

I think the permitted list, when it says 'these items are permitted in carry-on', means they are and should be permitted! If they're wrong being in authority doesn't change that or mean I'm any less likely to call someone on being wrong. I certainly will insist on the list provided by the airline being honoured by them, even if it means someone from the airline has to confirm it with the airport - after all the security screeners don't work for the airline.
If someone tells me I can't take x on board they are not going to change their mind if I say 'please'. Certainly they won't keep you off the flight while the matter's in dispute, or pull you off it for pointing out their own rules. I would absolutely refer them to their superior or the airline to confirm to the screener that those items are permitted.
Kicking up a stink doesn't mean being rude or abusive. Assuming the screeners in question are the pushing-back type regardless of right or wrong, that doesn't mean I should refrain from telling them they're wrong. Basically if the items are 'permitted' but you're told no anyway, you have two choices: obey them and lose your needles, or argue the point and possibly be able to do your knitting on the plane. The worst outcome if you argue the point is the same as the obedient option: you lose your needles.
If you're paranoid, you could use only bamboo/wooden needles, and have them on you during the screening, not in the bag in the x-ray machine!
And luckily I don't live in the U.S. so I'm not worried about the kind of stuff you guys are subject to!

Sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: March 19, 2007 09:40:18 PM »

Personally, I think that being on a flight for x number of hours without knitting projects is WAY more dangerous for me. Anyways, I have never been allowed knitting in flight. So I read knitting mags.

grrrrr

NEVER?!?  Ack!  I've never flown w/o knitting!  What airlines have you been flying, so we can all avoid them in the future??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: March 19, 2007 11:23:04 PM »

Personally, I think that being on a flight for x number of hours without knitting projects is WAY more dangerous for me. Anyways, I have never been allowed knitting in flight. So I read knitting mags.

grrrrr

NEVER?!?  Ack!  I've never flown w/o knitting!  What airlines have you been flying, so we can all avoid them in the future??
No kidding! What do you DO with yourself? Reading demands too much of my attention, I'm always afraid I'm going to miss my flight being called (well, I almost have...) and while I'm on the plane I'm going crazy from the claustrophobia and the enforced stillness.

I always print the permissible items list and bring it with me, but I've never had a problem. I think I'd bring bamboo needles for an international flight though, or in the aftermath of an incident. A lady at my LYS is from Switzerland and she always uses bamboo when she visits home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
evilsciencechick
« Reply #417 on: March 19, 2007 11:28:56 PM »

I flew two weekends in a row, and took my sock WIP with me both times.  I was using a size 1 addi turbo circular needle.  My carry on with my knitting didn't even get a second glance through security, and aside from some nice compliment from other passengers, my needles didn't register any attention.

So weird and random what some people get bugs up their butts about at airports! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilsciencechick.com

Science, knitting, ranting, and sex.  Not always in that order, and often all at once.

Look for me on ravelry!  Hey, that rhymed!
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2007 04:30:11 AM »

Here's a bit of advice from the Yarn Harlot, who had a friend whose airline didn't permit knitting needles:

Roll up two pieces of computer paper into tight little tubes, then pull on one end to make it longer.  Coat it with some white glue to make it strong, and you've got a knitting needle that won't bother anybody.

Seriously, it's paper and glue.  How could that hurt anyone?

Other than that, I recommend finger knitting, or maybe you could wrap skeins into center pull balls or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
Fire-Cherry
Quirky, Quixotic & Quintessential

Quirky, Quixotic & Quintessential

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2007 05:19:29 AM »

That is so crazy!! Make your own needles! Im thinkin if they DONT allow the crochet hook Im gonna have to finger knit. I just get so anxious, Im NOT an anxious flyer I have social anxiety and sitting in the airport where I cant get out for fresh air sends me mental as you can imagine, its like panic attack heaven. Knitting helps that but of course I know they would probably rather watch me have a panic attack because it would make their lives more interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Motion Editor in Flash CS4
How to Use the Spray Brush Tool in Flash CS4
How to Draw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
How to Create Live Paint Groups in Illustrator CS4
How to Use Key Object Alignment in Illustrator CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...