A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ripped Jeans  (Read 932 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sunshine,

Hey, What a beautiful mess this is.

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2007 05:08:05 PM »

well i have two pairs of jeans i LOVE but are both ripped. one pair is ripped,well has a hole on each side of the thigh area.
Then the other pair i jumped a fence and ripped the back of them. it starts at the bottom part of my back pocket and goes up the side of the pocket(but its ripped all the way through)
i heard a few ideas of making it into a purse... but the holes being where they are, i don't know if i can. any ideas would be great Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowbaby
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007 12:12:03 PM »

cut off the waistband and make a cool choker that buttons in the front by cutting it in half vertically and trimming to your neck size, then sew it up and voila
Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007 11:51:54 AM »

Make a braided rug -- that's what I'm going with mine! (and my husband's and anyone else's I can get my hands on). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007 04:54:59 PM »

i think that craft magazine had a pattern for making house slippers out of denim?  they were really cute. (and if you try it, i'd love to hear how it turned out)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowbaby
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007 11:19:30 AM »

ooohh, a braided rug-that's such an awesome idea. Do you have any instructions for this project?? Thanks!
K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007 12:00:42 PM »

ooohh, a braided rug-that's such an awesome idea. Do you have any instructions for this project?? Thanks!

Not really.  I checked out several books from the library -- the best one I found is called "The Braided Rug Book" by Norma Sturges.  You can also find various websites, but I recommend the books -- I haven't seen any website with clear pictures and instructions (of course, I haven't looked in a couple of years -- you might find one).  All the books and websites say "only use wool, cotton is too hard because it doesn't stretch" but since jeans are generally cut on the bias this isn't really a problem.

You do need a few inexpensive tools.  Two absolutely required tools are a set of folders (these fold up your strips of material into nice little tubes as you go -- way easier than trying to do it by hand), and a flat metal lacer (to sew the braids together).  I strongly recommend springing for linen lacing thread, as cotton will break.  A C-clamp to hold the braid as you work it is optional, but I personally couldn't braid without it -- the clamp holds the end of the braid so that you can pull it tight.  All three tools will run you about $20-$25 total.  The clamp is the most expensive of the three.

My tools are made by "Braid-Aid" and I recommend them.  I bought them directly from the company, which I can't find a website for right now (if I recall, I think I might have mail-ordered them!).   But google that brand and you'll find a ton of companies selling the tools.

You might come across someone selling bias tape folders for use in braided rug making -- these work, but they overlap the fabric more than is necessary and are harder to use.  I think the folders made specifically for rug making are much easier to use, and while they are a buck or two more, they are worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowbaby
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007 04:27:18 PM »

Cool. Good info.Thanks!
K
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Clive Davis on Whitney Houston and Carlos Santana
Clive Davis on Finding New Talent and Reinvigorating Careers
The Grand Complication by Stacy Perman
Actor And Author Eriq La Salle Discusses His New Book
Victoria Rebels by Carolyn Meyer
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...