A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the car accident jarred some sense into me...Eyeglasses Case + Tutorial  (Read 4517 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2007 01:48:46 PM »

So they redid this intersection near my house. They added a turn lane. I liked it well enough until this morning around 7am. I got side-swiped by some idiot who didnt realize that my lane could turn too.  While sitting int he ER waiting to be seen I started thinking about this eyeglass case delima I got myself into. I agreed to make 10 of these for someone and have never made one before. I had posted to the questions board for an easy tute and didnt find quite what I was looking for. Well, all that waiting time gave me time to work out this idea and its great! 

Here we go:

cut 1 piece of fleece and your outer print to 8x9 inches and cut one piece of lightweight interfacing to 7x8 inches and one piece of the outer fabric 6x4 inches for the closure thingy

the pictures pretty much tell the story here, but in case anyone is in doubt: fold in one short end of the 6x4 piece and press. fold in the sides to meet in the middle and then fold in half completely and stitch all the way around. get some neato pre-glued velcro and stick in on the neat end,(the one you folded in), lining it up betwen your stitches. Yay, thats done.

now, iron on your interfacing to the outer print. center the closure thingy between the middle of one of the 8 inch edges and the seam allowance and baste in place (dont forget or it will be off center!) then sew the fleece and outer fabric together on that same 8 inch edge,(5/8 seam allowance).  open it up, and press the seam flat

now is the time to add a decorative stitch or just a basic stitch, whatever you want..( i took this pic before i realized that I left the closure thingy out--so imagine it there as in the other pictures where i went back and fixed it)

fold the whole thing in half lengthwise and sew the top edge together with a 5/8 inch seam allowance

sew the raw edge end of the outer print together now, using 5/8 inch seam allowance again. then turn the thing inside out, by pulling the fleece OVER the outer print.

the piece should like this at this point

this is the beautiful part, since you used fleece, and its going to be at the bottom of the case, no worries of leaving a hole and turning and hand sewing it up...sew the entire raw edge of fleece together and cut with pinking shears if you have them, regular sissors are okay.

turn it one last time, a lotion tube works great to poke out the corners!

get that other piece of that handy-dandy self-adhesive velcro and slap the sucker on where you want the closure to, umm...close.

There you go! If you have all of your materials together you can make one of these in about 20 minutes! 

I hope someone finds this useful. I am surely glad I thought of it for myself!

Nikki

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007 02:08:10 PM »

Oh, sewnikki!  So glad to hear that you're alright - sorry to hear about the accident.  It's funny how/when we come up with great crafty ideas.  Thanks for sharing yours!  I'm bookmarking this one because I've wanted a way to dress up my glasses now for awhile and this looks like just what I needed Smiley

Glad you're ok!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007 06:36:11 PM »

Yes, I'm glad you're OK, too  Smiley  I hope you weren't hurt.

Isn't it so weird, though, the odd places your creativity starts to flow?  Mine always happens in the shower, where I have no paper or pencil with me (duh!) to write ideas down.  Or in church when I'm supposed to be listening.  But it's good you got to make use of the waiting time.  (Hopefully, you didn't have to sketch ideas onto any ER paperwork!) 

Anyway, now maybe you can get these other 9 cases made and thanks much for the tut.  This is adorable!  I want to make one for my sunglasses!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.co m
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007 11:55:17 AM »

Glad to hear that you are OK, too!  Great job on the tut, I'll have to make one for my glasses...this way I can find the damn things, when I'm looking for them they always seem to be perched on my head LOL  Hey quick ?? is that you with the pink John Deere purses on the bay?  Great job on then if so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
sewnikki
Nikki

Hi, my name is Nikki and I am a fabric addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007 12:26:37 PM »

thanx guys for the well wishes, luckily I was fine and so was my best friend's son who happened to be right inside the door that was hit. He was the only reason I went to the ER. I dont take chances with babies! 

Anyways..

Glad to hear that you are OK, too!  Great job on the tut, I'll have to make one for my glasses...this way I can find the damn things, when I'm looking for them they always seem to be perched on my head LOL  Hey quick ?? is that you with the pink John Deere purses on the bay?  Great job on then if so!

Thank you! the case in the pics is the one I kept, it was a draft so the newer ones are a bit smoother, lol. Its fine for me though, although I will say, I started using the heavy interfacing on the outer layer to add a little more security to the cases after I tossed mine in my purse and it disappeared in seconds, lol.  And yes, those probably are my john deere purses on Ebay. a lot of people are selling them now, but my secret satisfation is that I was the first one! haha! and also the first to list blue ones...i celebrate any victory i can, lol.

Thanx again all!

Nikki aka ~It's Sew Nikki~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long live Craftster and the crafty-craftiness of its crafters!!!
Etsy
(destash sale! hook and eye tape, grommet tape and other goodies)
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007 12:59:56 PM »

I am glad to hear that everyone is fine.  Thank you so much, I bookmarked your great tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007 10:28:05 AM »

I am so glad you are okay!!!!!  Scary.

My inspirations come to me when I am trying to put my kiddos to bed.  I often have to lay with them a little while until they are of to dreamland so my mind is a crankin' with new ideas!  I wait until I hear the little snores and jump up to go and write down my thoughts.

I like the eyeglass case and thanks for the great tute!!!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three.............. my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007 12:33:35 PM »

I tried this tutorial out, and it's fantastic!!  I did it twice, the first time making a little mistake and learning how to make it better the second go around.  This one, my second one, is much much better than my first (now that I've got the hang of it!) and it's a "demo" so I used just some "dummy" fabric I had lying around.  Now that I -really- know what I'm doing, I plan to make it from some pink print and pink fleece!

I put my entire "old" glasses case inside and it fit perfectly... once I make a sturdy one with fleece and interfacing, I'll be able to use it sans-case if I want.  Either way, it really dresses up my glasses case! Cheesy

Thanks for the fantastic tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Draw Behind and Inside Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Bristle Brush in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Creating the Tilt-Shift Lens Effect in Photoshop CS6
Working With Blur Filters in Photoshop CS6
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...