A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,086
Currently Running With Scissors:
490 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grommet Pliers/Puncher Help!!!!  (Read 1279 times)
Tags for this thread: grommet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Immortalchild
« on: October 11, 2004 05:57:05 PM »

Ok, i've got a question that I hope someone can answer: I just bought a grommet plier/puncher and I'm finding that it's INCREDIBLY hard to use (maybe i'm just weak - but it's really hard to punch even one single grommet!). I want to add grommets to a reconstructed t-shirt; I've interfaced it and everything but the grommet still tore through the t-shirt and fell out.  I'm so upset, I spend $15 on this stupid grommet plier that doesn't even work. I'm thinking it's just the quality of the puncher... Does anyone have any tips/tricks for me?

One other question, you know that round cylinder hole-puncher thing that comes with a packet of grommets - how the hell am I supposed to make a hole with that?! I know how to use the tool to set the grommet in, but what about the hole puncher?

Thanks!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ImmortalChild Clothing on EBAY:
http://members.ebay.ca/aboutme/immortalchild
teri
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004 06:12:30 PM »

Im not sure what kind of grommet plier/puncher you have but i think you are supposed to make the hole first and then put the grommet in and use the grommet puncher to seal it ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Immortalchild
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004 07:39:32 PM »

With my grommet plier, you put the grommet in the little slot and then you're supposed to punch it through - but it doesn't work! How do I make a hole first??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teri
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004 06:05:03 AM »

I just poke a little hole through the fabric with something sharp ... scissors work well... then put the grommet in and use the puncher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlfriday

I'm NOT a monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004 06:53:07 AM »

Scissors do work but if you want it to look more professional or plan to do a lot of eyelets/grommets you may want to use something else.

I've found a hollow punch set (like this one http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/c.317638/sc.9/category.889/it.A/id.9419/.f) to be the best tool. Then if you put a little seam sealant (no-fray) on the hole and then put the tall side of the grommet through the hole facing the inside of the garmet, then put the short side on top so that it sort of fits around the tall part, then squash it with your pliers. Voila!

I had this problem with my pliers too. I couldn't get it through. But when I made the holes first and made sure that the grommet was fitted into each other already, it took no pressure at all to get them to close.

Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is love? As far as I can tell, it is passion, admiration and respect. If you have two, you have enough. If you have all three, you don't have to die to go to heaven."
William Wharton
Immortalchild
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004 03:01:29 PM »

Sorry, I'm a little dense when it comes to tools/hardware - How are you supposed to make a hole with the hollow punch set?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlfriday

I'm NOT a monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004 07:06:23 AM »

Put a piece of wood down on the floor, put your cloth over it (marked as to where you want the hole), then take the hollow edge of the punch and set it firmly down exactly where you want the hole, take a hammer and smack the punch as hard as you can (it's important to hit it hard and not move the punch). Then hit it a few times for good measure, pick up the punch, and hopefully you've got a good hole.

I always have to have my boyfriend punch the holes because I am to nervous and whenever I try to do it I end up moving the punch over (I don't know how I just do...).  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is love? As far as I can tell, it is passion, admiration and respect. If you have two, you have enough. If you have all three, you don't have to die to go to heaven."
William Wharton
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairdressing Essentials Tool Kit Bag
How to Get a Quiff
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Boys
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Girls
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...