A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: snaps?  (Read 1894 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2007 04:22:03 PM »

hello everyone! i really want to make those cute coin purses with the snaps and i was wondering if these where the right ones...

has anyone ever used this brand or know of a good snap setter thing? this looks like it has a lot of work (i'm assuming because so many parts!)

thanks for all the help ladies and gents!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007 04:26:22 PM by roxybadoxy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
loudgrrl4_ever
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007 04:39:55 PM »

I can't recommend any brand of snap setters (although there are some good recommendations floating around Craftster) but I can tell you that almost all of them are extremely complicated.

A snap is made of at least four pieces, which are all the metal pieces you see in that image. There are some setters that just require you to put the pieces in a holder and on the fabric and basically do it for you, but the old fashion ones require you to aim and hit the opposing sides with a hammer and hope they come out right. I only own the latter, so I personally hate snaps, but that is largely because of the tool that I have.

In short: snaps are complicated, but how hard they are for an individual sewer varies with her experience and tools.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007 04:54:31 PM »

I've heard that you can get better-quality snap setting tools at a leather shop, like Tandy Leather, for instance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brubendall
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007 06:39:03 PM »

I use this and it works really well:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=43076&PRODID=47561

All snaps are going to have 4 pieces like that.  The above very-easy-to-find setter will do all the work for you if you put the pieces on in the right order.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lizabethdesign.etsy.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizabethdesign/

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007 06:45:44 PM »

I use this and it works really well:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=43076&PRODID=47561

All snaps are going to have 4 pieces like that.  The above very-easy-to-find setter will do all the work for you if you put the pieces on in the right order.  Smiley

I  have  that  one a nd  teh  one  you  showed  Roxy.....and  well  I use  velcro!  the  trick is a  steady even  aim a nd well  I  have  niether... so  good  luck  and  use  some  practice  scraps  first... every  materail  will react  diefferently

teh  4  metal things   are   a front and back for  teh  pokey part of the  snap and a front and back  for the  flat  side.......  sorry for my technichal  terms.. LOL
some  people  find  snaps  very  easy.... i  am not  one....    also  use  caution  not to bend  your  parts that  snap together  when  putting them on...  or they  won't  snap  together correctly.    good  luck and  let me know if  you find  a trick to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007 06:53:48 PM »

I definately second the need for the snap pliers.  It is SO much easier than trying to aim with a hammer.  I've done it both ways, and will never go back to hammering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
crumpet13
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 09:22:39 PM »

http://www.snapsource.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please Quote me whenever you PM me! (so I can see the last message I sent to you)!!! thanks

*I love personal swaps
chrissiemags
Chrissie's Custom Creations

Is there such a thing as too much fabric or ribbon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007 10:04:58 PM »

I have the same snap fitter as brubendall  and I haven't had a problem yet.  They have easy to follow illustrations and rubber rings to kind of hold the parts for you to set them.  I do suggest not squeezing too hard so you don't squish the parts and to set your snaps on an interfaced piece of material especially if it's a thin cotton.  Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chrissie's Custom Creations
~Offering Laser Cut Scrapbook Embellishments~ Trendy & Classic Hair Accessories~ Cute as Can be Bottle Cap Images~Bottle Cap Jewelry
sparkleyturtle
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007 01:26:22 PM »

I have the same snap fitter as brubendall  and I haven't had a problem yet.  They have easy to follow illustrations and rubber rings to kind of hold the parts for you to set them.  I do suggest not squeezing too hard so you don't squish the parts and to set your snaps on an interfaced piece of material especially if it's a thin cotton.  Hope this helps

You all have given me the urge to try again.  I did not have a good experience the first time I tried these pliers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heyitzme37
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007 05:06:41 PM »

I guess I'm not a good snap setter myself.  I tried to put some heavy duty snaps on wallets I made from the cute little wallet tutorial on here and went through 3 sets before I could get one to stay.  I have the plier set, which I got a long time ago, and I couldn't get the two pieces to stay together.  Finally got one but I wasn't happy with it.  Think I'm going to resort to another option for a closer or use the magnetic snaps.  I really don't like the look of velcro. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Rock the Statement Coat
How to Rock the Seventies-Inspired Platform Heel
Rihanna Reveals River Island Holiday Collection
6 Couture NFL Looks for Women
How to Wear White Denim
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...