A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: teen room ideas  (Read 2515 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xoxcherry
. Kristy .

. Kristy .

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004 01:53:07 PM »

Over the past few months I have become obsessive with interior design shows like Trading Spaces, While You Were Out, etc. Seeing these gorgeous rooms on tv then returning to my bland room is becoming quite depressing. Its still decorated in the same way my parents did it when I was a baby, minus a few of my touches (like my closet door of actors..). I really want to redo it, but I'm on a very limited budget (we're talking allowance-type budget, plus whatever I can squeeze out of the parents for early Christmas money), so when I found this board it was heaven!! I've been looking over a bunch of the finished rooms you guys have posted, and wow!
So I need several ideas from you guys. Here's a few pictures of my room (I had to decrease them in size to make them fit where I needed to upload them, so they are all on one page. Ignore the unmade bed, I'm usually obsessive over having a clean room) http://www.boomspeed.com/kristyrose/myroom.jpg

1. As you may have noticed, I'm stuck with wallpaper on 3 out of the 4 walls. Stripping it would be entirely too much work, therefore paint isn't an option. As for the fourth wall, I like the paneled wall (its not as dark as it looks in the picture) so I wouldn't paint it. I've seen them attaching fabric to the walls on some design shows, which is the effect I'm going for. I don't think I'd put any padding under it, I've seen it done both with and without padding and since I don't intend to sleep on my wall I don't see the point of padding.

My questions for you: Where can I get cheap fabric for this type of project (like $1 a yard or something), and how would I attach it to the walls?

2. If you pay close attention to the furniture in my room, nothing except the bed and bureau (which you can only see a corner of) matches. Those two pieces were built by a relative and my mom would just as soon shoot me before letting me paint them. The desk is a pretty similar look, most people don't notice the difference until I point it out to them. But if you notice the nightstand..ew. It's a dark stain that doesn't match anything, and I hate it. I just recently stole the nightstand from my garage for added storage space, I figured that even in its hideousness its better than the tray table I had. (And if your wondering, that blue thing thrown on top of it is one of those beach-coverup things that just looks like fabric. My mother has yet to get me one of those stupid doily type things. Ugly, yes, but the top of the thing is so scratched)

When I redo the room I intend to paint the stupid thing, but what color would be good? Should I match it to the wall fabric? Or do something contrasting to it? Help would be nice. I also hope to add drawer pulls to it for added effect.

3. Notice the brassy vanity? Given to me by my grandmother, and I love it because it's where I do my hair, makeup, etc. But I'm not really liking the brassiness of it. Would there be some way to paint it? I don't think the paint would stick to the brass. I'd have that painted, if possible, to match the nightstand, so the same question applies-how would I do it, and should it be a contrasting color, similar color, white, brown, etc? Also, the chair would need to be reupholstered-but I'm clueless. Suggestions?

Theres more, but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coleyboley

Its the slow pretty part!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004 02:32:13 PM »

well... i have a few ideas

for the vanity, you might want to check out a craft or hardware store because I think there is spraypaint made to stick to metal and plastic and such. 

you can usually find $1 a yard fabric at a craft store, but it is usually remenants...
for the walls instead of having just one kind of fabric you could have a lot of different kinds...like a wall "quilt" or something or you could use a couple sets of the same sheets to cover your walls, and then you wouldn't need to hem the fabric or anything

i know you already have a huge thing of actors on your door, but me and two of my friends got together one night and made a huge collage on one of those tri-fold poster boards.  It looks so cool, our theme was "This is pop culture?" it was awesome, we had ads and just random pictures it ends up looking so cool

if you could change your bed side table you could just use a tv tray or something and cover it with fabric and have a box underneath the fabric for storage

if you need more light, buy a lamp and prick little holes through the lampshade with a pin in a pattern the effect is awesome

well thats all my ideas for now, hope i helped! let me know if you need me to explain anything
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004 04:45:19 PM by coleyboley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

so what, so i've a got a smile on
well its just there to hide all the quiet superstitions in my head
don't believe me
don't believe me
when i say i've got it down
DrewsUSAgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004 02:49:55 PM »

>>Walmart usually have abt 15-20 different fabrics at $1  yard & abt twice that many at $2 a yard. 
>>Have you though about decoupagin the night stand? you could get a piece of plexi-glass cheap at a hardware store for the top. 
Did oyu have a theme you wantsd to try to decorat with? flowers? certain colors?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcherry
. Kristy .

. Kristy .

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004 05:20:43 PM »

coleyboley, thanks for the tips! ill check out the hardware stores. and good idea with the tray table idea..thanks a lot!!

DrewsUSAgirl, its time for me to be a moron - whats decoupage?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmorrison_89
Message from Ashley

its got to be

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004 10:16:46 PM »

seeing as you stole the nightstand from your garage im assuming that your parents arent wanting it anymore... ask if you can paint that... advice:
1. sand that sucker with a hand sander
2. rub it down with rubbing alcohol (removes any dust, dirt, or grime that shouldnt be there yet doesnt harm the wood)
3.find a nice bright paint(which will brighten your room) and paint it... if you have the tiem and materials you should make shelves for added storage that match the nightstand somehow (in my room i have a lavender canopy bed that i redid and white built in shelves with lavender polka dots and stripes on them-they're actually really nice!)

good luck!

ashley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricbunny
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004 11:01:29 PM »

I have an idea for your room, it might not be your thing but here goes.

So the reason that you respond to a lot of the rooms that they show on HGTV and the like is that they go for bold changes. Since you do have a number of restraints it makes it more challenging. So if I were in your place I would first take everything hanging on the walls down ( you can put some of it back later) then using three or four colors of paper (construction paper is cheap) it is best to use two sort of neutral colors like tan, brown, off-white, grey, black  and then combine with two bolder colors. You could then use plain office supply labels to attach them together in a number of grids. Once you have the grids you can pin them in place on the wall. By taping them together with lables first you avoid having to put a zillion tacks into your wall ( which your mom probably wouldn't like). Ok so that itakes care of the walls for about 15 dollars.

For your bed you could find a fabric that goes with one or two of the colors of paper on the walls and just make a simple cover for your comforter. JoAnne's has a fabric clearance section with good fabric choices (you do have to dig) for between 1-4 dollars a yard. If you need me to explain how to do this part I can. So that takes care of your bed for about 6-10 dollars.

Now for the floor. There is this wonderful carpet tile made by FLOR and you can put it on top of existing carpet without damaging the carpet underneath, and it is totally non permanent. for a room your size you could probably get away with just four in the center of your room to make a splash here is the link

http://www.interfaceflor.com/service/flor/shop.html
I just picked one I liked but they have a huge selection. It is a little spendy but you could have four of the one above for 36 dollars. They are a good size 19 1/2 inches by 19 1/2 inches.

For your brass vanity I think you should just recover the seat. It is actually really easy. It should be very easy to take apart with a screwdriver put a new piece of fabric over it staple it down and screw it back together

Then like others said paint that side table and voila a totally new room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004 07:34:03 AM »

You can paint wallpaper,you just have to use a oil based primer(very important!) and paint.  NO LATEX! Latex is water-based and will make the wallpaper bubble.  the only downside is that oil-based paint is kinda toxic so you will need to paint with the windows open and maybe a fan.  What type of wall paper is it and how long has it been up?  If it's vinyl wallpaper it is hard to take off (2 layers) if it's regular paper and kinda old, a scraper and a spray bottle of water will take it right off.
As for Ideas, what type of theme are you going for?  It's important to have some sort of idea in your head so you know what you're working towards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcherry
. Kristy .

. Kristy .

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004 11:18:18 AM »

missmorrison-I have permission to paint it - but does anyone think that'd look kind of cheesy in a room of all wood furniture?

Fabricbunny-I LOVE the construction paper idea. I recently made two cheesy-looking wall decorations out of construction paper, I like your idea much better. The rugs you showed are gorgeous, and I should definitely recover the vanity seat! Thanks so much!

Iciclegirl- Won't it eventually peel though? Maybe not right away, but eventually? It's not vinyl wallpaper as far as I know. I haven't really come up with a theme yet-I was thinking mod, but my rooms waay too cluttered for that, so I think I'll go for a more country-contemporary style. I think with fabricbunny's idea and some good fabric, I may even be able to make the wallpaper liveable by trying to bring out the blue in it. I'll have to get rid of the pillow covers I just made (oh well, I don't have a sewing machine so I used hemming tape to tape them together, no big loss) but I'm thinking the blue & neutral-colored wall decorations is the way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iciclegirl
Obey the Chuck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004 03:45:00 PM »

Nah, it won't peel.  It glues it more to the wall actually.  You could paint and then distress the side table so some of the wood shows through.  It's very country to have some nice old, and beat-up looking furniture.  I have a few pieces myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcherry
. Kristy .

. Kristy .

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004 05:42:14 PM »

Distressing..EXCELL ENT idea. Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Mini Bridge Feature in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Crop Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Content Aware Fill Tool on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Brush Panel on Adobe Photoshop CS5
How to Use the Text Layout Framework in Adobe Flash Professional CS5
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...