A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for rattles/capsules? (Or... why can't my cat like the nip?)  (Read 2159 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubbledragon
« on: January 24, 2007 09:52:44 AM »

My cat just doesn't like catnip.  I've only ever seen her react to one toy with it inside, which must have been some really high concentrate, as I can dump out an entire bag, offer her a whole plant, and nada.

She does like the smell of real fur, though.  Disgusting to me, but it makes her happy.  Unfortunately, I've got a dog.  All of those little fur mice with the cork centers get stolen and torn up by my dog.  The only toys that've lasted in the house have been some cheap fabric mice that have this rattle in them.  The rattle keeps them interesting, the plain fabric ensures that the dog won't attempt to consume them.

The rattle inside is really a hollow plastic ball with a BB in it (I think).  I know this is a choking hazard, but none of these have ever been destroyed/gutted.  They're fantastic.  The only problem is that occasionally, we step on them, the ball breaks, and no more rattle.  Then it's BORING!  Totally ignored by the cat. 

I'm looking for a replacement rattle, that I can make and put in my own toys.  Bells really aren't interesting to her.  She just ignores that.  So I need itty bitty plastic capsules - about the size of a thumbnail.  I'd just steal them out of more mice, but I can't even find the same things anymore (I think they came out of a "fun pack" of toys, around christmas time.)

Do you folks have any idea?  Make?  Repurpose?  Something?

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamayun
I'll be back someday. Just not now.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007 09:40:47 AM »

What about a dried bean?  Like a navy bean or a black bean.  It has the advantage of being edible if swallowed by either dog or cat (I don't know if cats can successfully digest beans, but at least you don't run the danger of lead poisoning like you would with BBs or choking like with plastic.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubbledragon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007 09:50:07 AM »

Hey... that might be good.  Maybe... like a hard shell of a bean or nut, with a grain or two of rice inside.

I'll have to research what kinds of food are toxic again, and then experiment!  Thanks for the brainstorm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007 09:53:19 AM »

My cat really loves earplugs, almost too much. You could try that. It's not rattly, but my cat really does go nuts over them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007 10:00:30 AM »

with easter soon to arrive, you could get some of those plastic eggs and put a bean or two in. Then glue a cover on. The way they roll is wacky which should be fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
bubbledragon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007 10:04:44 AM »

I thought about the eggs, but it's just too big.  They get stepped on and crack.  The little rattles inside of these mice are small enough that they don't break when we step on them, somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaniFae
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007 04:25:59 AM »

I remember having tiny little plastic easter eggs as a kid...(as in you could fit 2 into a normal sized plastic egg) and they are a lot sturdier due to the tiny size, and i found a few on e-bay....here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/9-tiny-1-vintage-hard-plastic-Easter-EGGS-pink-yellow_W0QQitemZ300091394681QQcategoryZ70975QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagged
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007 03:34:43 PM »

You could take two bottlecaps (the plastic ones, like on a Coke or water bottle), put rice (or tiny rocks or seeds) in them and glue them together for a rattle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamayun
I'll be back someday. Just not now.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007 11:51:18 AM »

Rice is non-toxic for cats.  Although perhaps non-digestible.  Undecided  Personal experience applies here.  The same goes for corn.

Beans are more than likely okay for cats, but ever since I found out onions are poisonous for them I've been paranoid about letting mine eat human food.  Not that this has stopped them from trying...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ginamonster
Monsterlicious

hee hee.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007 11:59:58 AM »

OH! when I was a kid we used to carefully seperate the shells of walnuts, eat the nut and then glue them back together. We thought we were pretty sneaky. but if you put rice or something in there, the cat might like it. I don't know, maybe it's too big.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like making stuff. Rumor has it, I'm an elf. Like a Santa Elf, not one of those elegant LOTR types.  Mostly because I compulsively craft and partially because I have green shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Create a Messy Knot
How to Be a Beautiful Redhead
How to Be a Brilliant Brunette
How to Unleash Your Blonde Bombshell
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...