A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
743 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Seitan  (Read 907 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raining_dreams
« on: January 23, 2007 10:19:37 PM »

I attempted to make Seitan a while ago... and it came out like crap. Can anyone suggest a great recipe to me? I like tofu, but my doctor recommended that I only eat it once every two weeks or so. Seitan is so high in protein and is a cheap way for me to get my nutrients up higher.

Also, how the heck do I use it??? I honestly cannot figure out the stuff, It is always gooey when I make it, and is overly salty. Plase help me! I want to make pretty seitan  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
kala

vegans are yummy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007 04:43:41 AM »

What kind of flour did you use?  It really helps to use the vital wheat gluten flour.  Here's Isa's recipe from the PPK:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=112

As for what to do with it, just about anything.  Chopped up and cooked with bbq sauce, mixed in with fajitas, stir fry.... Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sdE
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007 04:01:53 AM »

whenever I make seitan from scratch I do the following:

lots of flour
with enough water to make a dough (not sticky!)

leave in a big bowl filled with water for 20 minutes.

Then start 'rinsing' the dough gently for a longgg time making sure you keep the dough together

Rinse rinse rinse, refresh water every now and then (I usually refresh 1-2 times).

Untill a ball of gluten is left over. You'll know it's ready when you rinse it once more and the water stays clear.

Then shape it into a log or just leave it as a blob.
Wrap tightly in tin foil, add another layer of tin foil to make sure water won't get in.

And then boil it for 40 minutes to an hour.

If all goes well, your seitan will not have turned into brains/a sponge and is fairly chewy.

After that's done, you can cut the seitan up, season/marinade and bake/fry as you would tofu etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raining_dreams
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007 08:35:46 AM »

Thanks! I will definitely try Isa's recipe. Every one that I have tried has been delicious.

When I made it, I did it the way you said, sadE, but it didn't turn out quite right. I guess I just need to try it again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog
vegan food blog
cleandirty
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007 10:57:30 AM »

Seitan is tricky in my experience, as it all too easily turns into a chewy ball of protein doom.  That said, Isa's recipe is quite good -- I do not focus so much on removing all the gluten, 'cause I like my seitan a bit less dense, but that is just me. 

If you have been flavoring your dough with salted veggie stock + salt, that might explain the too saltiness . . . (I have done this before, is why I bring it up).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I know a girl, who had premarital sex?  Do you know what she did on graduation day?  DIED! -- Mr. Weir, Freaks and Geeks
tofu button
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007 07:28:34 PM »

hmm..I've just started making my own seitan 'chicken'. Gluten flour is definately the way to go if you can find it for a reasonable price. Mix equal quantities of gluten flour and water (try 1/2 cup of each) into a dough and kneed it for a few minutes. Then cut it into chunks and boil in a flavoured broth (I reckon sage,thyme,tamari,flakey nutritional yeast etc. is yummy). Boil it for about 40mins stirring from time to time. The way I like to eat it, is to dip each piece into soy milk and then into a mixture of flour, paprika and black pepper, then shallow fry them. Tada! delicious faux fare - 'I cant believe it's not chicken nuggets'. Oh, and I've had the salt problem too - tamari+salt+vege stock = way too salty. Try leaving salt out alltogether, using only a little tamari and get the main saltyness from the vege stock. xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadingeyes
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007 07:47:40 PM »

Here are different recipes to try:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=329.0
There are a lot of websites on vegetarian recipes.
I hope you don't mind the question, but why did your doctor say once every two weeks for tofu? I use it a couple times a weak with no problem. Just wondering? Good Luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raining_dreams
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007 09:51:14 AM »

I hope you don't mind the question, but why did your doctor say once every two weeks for tofu? I use it a couple times a weak with no problem. Just wondering? Good Luck. Smiley

I have some health problems, and eating a lot of tofu would probably just contribute. I have a slight hormonal imbalance, and I have pretty bad depression. With the way tofu mimics estrogen, it really would not help at this point  Cheesy Also, she isn't a big fan of tofu in general becuase of the problems it CAN contribute to. I personally would like to eat more tofu, but I am kind of unable to at this point. Besides, seitan tends to be cheaper- which is what I need as I am buying a lot of my food right now Smiley

Thanks for the suggestions!
tofu button: that sounds so good! I don't like faux meat in general- I really tend to shy away from fake meat that looks real- but this sounds great. I'll try it out asap!

As for saltiness, I really think you all are right. I can taste the salt in everything- I was salt and sugar free for a while- so it was just way over the top Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog
vegan food blog
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007 09:54:29 AM »

Here is a seitan tutorial from "The Vegan Lunchcast"
http://veganlunchcast.blogspot.com/2006/05/vegan-lunchcast-tutorial-how-to-make.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Helicopter
How to Make a Lanyard
How to Make a Handmade Paper Greeting Card
How to Make a Grave Rubbing
How to Make a Denim Rug
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...