A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: You know what I mean...  (Read 18377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ickle_1
The Man in Mint Green

This is Death's toast.

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2007 10:12:03 PM »

Ok, we've all done it.

When we were younger *talking... 8-11*, we thought it would be cool to try and make something out of something that you weren't supposed to mess with. Like... mother's shirt she doesn't wear anymore, in my case* And when you ruined it, or realized that you had destroyed something that wasn't yours, you FREAKED because you knew that if your parents saw what you had done, you'd be in big-time trouble.

Mom had this UGLY shirt, a brown... something that she hadn't worn in months. So I'm thinking, hey, I can cut this up, glue it back together as a pillow.

Ohhhh man was I wrong. Nine year olds don't generally know that
1. Stick glue doesn't hold fabric.
2. You have to cut straight lines *which I STILL can't do*
and
3. You have to sew *glue* it inside out, flip, then stuff.

And then there's that moment when it hits you "Oh no, I'm a moron," and you stuff it under your mattress and pray that she never asks you where it is.

Fess up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seamshistoric
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007 11:22:01 PM »

My friends and I would play dress up with mom's fabric stash.  Shocked
I can't remember all the things we did, but I know we cut holes in the middle of yardages for our heads to go through.  Roll Eyes

Being older, now I know why she was so angry!  Cheesy Especially since I keep more expensive fabrics than mom ever did... silks and velvets at the top of my mind.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 11:24:46 PM by seamshistoric » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007 10:55:31 PM »

My brother and I got into my mom's yarn stash and totally destroyed it by stringing it around his room and creating one big scary monster ball that he tortured me with, making me squeel and woke my mom from her nap and... holy moly no wonder I don't want kids Smiley

does this explain why i never remember her knitting? :-p

also, when i was older, i asked my dad if he had any clothes laying around he didn't use.  yes, i asked.  i was a good kid Smiley but then he asked me if i was going to make a voodoo doll :-p  which was weird, because i DID make a doll! O.o
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007 12:51:20 PM »

HAHAHAH I totally did this!  My mom used to make me beautiful clothes when I was little and one day my cousin came over and we decided to turn the playroom (which adjoined ot her sewing area) into "Fairyland".

so we unraveled every bias tape, twill tape, ribbon, and trim she had and draped/flung them around the room.  so, so beautiful. 

then we got bored and went outside, and when mom saw it she didn't seem to think it was such a great idea. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
StoryFromTheStars
Everyone wears a mask.

I made mine, with lots of glitter and shinies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007 08:16:34 PM »

I actually didn't do that. But my dad did pay to fix the holes in the pocket of his shirts for work. $5 per shirt times 15 shirts=YAY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Purtty Blog
Knitting is a way of life.
ehmalee
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007 02:28:07 PM »

I was just going to pass this topic until I remembered an event from years and years ago.

My parents had this homemade Christmas tree topper that was an angel. She had a paper dress and a wings and even a little wooden head. Not knowing the full extent of sentiment my mom had attached to this angel, I thought it might need a sprucing up.. I grabbed one of my markers and drew a few eyes and a mouth..It was a good thing I was cute and young as they just sent me to my room for about an hour.

Oh well.

Ah. A budding craftster from such a young age...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StoryFromTheStars
Everyone wears a mask.

I made mine, with lots of glitter and shinies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007 01:01:47 AM »

Hahaha, you just reminded me of my brother.
He was the one that did all of the destroying of important papers, parents prized possessions, and the like.
I remember one instance when he was younger and he cut apart my cousins graduation pictures.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Purtty Blog
Knitting is a way of life.
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007 10:11:13 AM »

I don't remember doing anything like this...
'remember' being the key word... Wink

I think I'll keep an eye on my kids when I decide to have a couple.
Haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
DorkyGemo
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007 07:13:33 AM »

Hmm... When I was young, my mum had a few of her friends outside by the bonfire, leaving us children in the house. We thought it would be fun to paint, so I got into my mums acrylic paint, and we painted the whole house... Its been a little bit more than 10 years, and theres still paint on the cupboards/doors  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TessTessi

Lily is my best friend

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007 07:20:06 AM »

I used to get into my  mother's fabric stash (which was allowed) and cut my "pattern" out of the very center of the fabric (which was not allowed). Every time my mother would tell me to cut from the edges, but I just couldn't put 2 and 2 together for several years!

These days, I'm pretty good about it...but I make a certain size tote bag that if I refolded my canvas,  I could get 3 across the width instead of two....but it's such a pain to remove from the bolt and refold that I usually don't, figuring I'll use it later.  And the whole time, I hear my mother in my head, "Don't CUT from the MIDDLE!!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holy flipping cow. I changed my profile picture after 4 years on here.

Love Alpacas?  Go visit: Alpaca Love Club
Come visit my website!  www.madebytess.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Apple Chestnut and Pistachio Stuffing
How to Make Red Wine and Clementine Gravy
How to Make Watermelon Cranberry Sauce
The Inspiration Behind The Cookbooks, from Trisha Yearwood
How to Make No-Bake Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...