A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bandana Thingy and Tute ;D hehehehehhehehehe image obese  (Read 8164 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2007 03:53:24 PM »

Okay so my husband wears the 'bandanna things' under his hard hat at work. We have a name for them but some people see it as offensive, so meh. Here it is:

Modeled by my lovely mannequin head because he doesn't want his pic taken Tongue LMAO Cheesy hehehehehehhehee

I made it outta scrap fabric that has 50's cars on it. He is into cars. Grin He wore it to work for the first time today and already has 5 guys wanting some!!!! eeeeeeeep! ehehhehe oh and I need to modify the pattern but will explain this as I go along! Cheesy

Soooooooooooooooooo to make one you need to cut a pattern similar to this:

but on the shaped part shorten it by about 1 inch or so (making it a less sharper curve. It needs to be a lil softer to avoid the duckbill Grin ), or on some people you get a duckbill affect. And that isn't what you want with these. Cheesy My pattern works great for hubby but not for anyone else. I made a new more versatile one but don't have pics up. I can try to give more details on the pattern if this is needed. Grin Just let me know! Cheesy

So choose a fabric, believe it or not you can use tshirt knit, or the stiff cotton (like the stuff at walmart or what quilters would use mostly ) This is great for stash busting! Cheesy

So cut out your fabric you want one of the long rectangles
and two shapes, but pay heed. Cut the shaped pattern out then flip it and cut again so you can cut a reverse of it. Cheesy Does that make sense? LOL tell me if it doesn't Cheesy

then stitch it together by putting one shaped side and the rectangle together by putting right sides together. Cheesy start sewing at the curved end because the rectangle shape that hangs off the back of the shaped pattern doesn't get sewn to the large rectangle. You leave it free because it protects the hair when someone ties the two sides together. Cheesy Keeps your hair away from the knot ! YAY! Cheesy hehehehehe and if you don't have a serger I suggest hemming that lil rectangle flap before assembling all the pieces together Grin. whew! I am longwinded as heck! Cheesy

So you get this with one side sewn on:

and once you add the other side it will stand more upright for you Grin:

This is a view of it on the back of the head: (untied)

Frontal view:

Tied view:

Okay, questions? Comments? Critiques?

Thanks for looking! Cheesy

* Please do not sell any creations from my tutorials. I have already been informed of issues Sad I share my work to keep others from having to buy something when they could easily do it. This saddens me greatly*

edit: Sorry it took so long guys! My life got in the way!!!! Cheesy Sad poh! Cheesy LOL SO here is a paint drawing with the measurement details:

Forgive my crude paint skills but the shapes you need will be like the paper and fabric shown earlier. Cheesy LOL  Give me a few days and I will post up here ones I made for my girls and alterations/maybe a diff pattern. Cheesy I haven't made them yet so I am unsure of the amount of alterations that may be needed. Grin I hope this helps!!! Let me know if you have any questions! Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 03:13:56 PM by diannab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007 06:52:05 PM »

I like it! But, I'm not sure if I'm blind or not, but what are the measurements for your cut outs? Or does it really matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007 07:19:04 PM »

your istructions are very good. But I too wonder about the measurements. I have a son who is a welder and he could certainly use a few of these. Thanks so much for all the work you put into sharing this project! And big kudos to you on the orders for five more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007 10:25:52 PM »

Great stuff  Grin My beloved might actually stop maoning about me not making him one (or a dozen) now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007 03:41:20 AM »

Thanks for all the great compliments guys! Cheesy Zaftig, he does have two on the way now. Grin hhheehheeheh. I will post a pic tonight with a corrected pattern and the tape by it so you can see it Grin It really is very straight forward!:D YOu guys will love how easily it goes together! 10 mins on the sewing machine (probably 2 on a serger lol) and PRESTO! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007 07:20:07 AM »

Awesome.... My lilgirl got one of these thingies (we dont have any name for it) and I love it. I wear it a lot and that really annoy her. I have been planning to sew one myself, so she can take hers and grump-a-long with it as much as she pleases.... Wink Now I dont have to figure out myself how its construct. Thanks alot! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
bethz0r
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 08:03:45 AM »

Hmm, I may have to try making a girly version... Biba made something quite similar... http://www.thebaglady.tv/2007/01/bibas_purple_pa.html which I was coveting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 08:10:21 AM »

Fantastic tut!  I'm definitely making this one... my daughter wears bandanas all the time and I think she'll love this... all the more because she can choose any fabric.  Way cool, thanks for sharing!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007 09:57:31 AM »

lol I am looking for my pattern so I can you my measurements, or I can tell you how I got my measurements--- lookie :

Okay Let's do measurement one first:
REMEMBER ADD FOR SEAM ALLOWANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
measure the length of your forehead (where you want the banada thingy to sit)  .okay write that down Grin you will add 4 inches to each piece this will form the protective tail and two ties.

Alright measurement two:
REMEMBER ADD FOR SEAM ALLOWANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

measure from where the bandana will end (where I have the red lines drew) and measure where the two joining seams should be. I eyeballed mine. the rectangle was 6 inches wide for my dh.

this will give you your three pieces. I will go find my pattern pieces momentarily and measure them but I was trying to give you an idea on how to come up with measurements so you get a custom fit. Grin If you make some post them, I would love to see how this turns out Grin

I had never heard of the baglady til now! THanks for that site! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 10:49:27 AM »

The bag lady site is fabo Cheesy I designed this for hubby so there was no need for the extra band Grin It would have put too much bulk under his hat. Grin I can't believe they are getting away with charging 70 for that.... LOL but then again I am big on DIY! And don't pay for a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Smiley Also, if anyone is interested I am up for personal swaps! Cheesy (Do note though I don't have a serger but do a felled seam ) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007 09:49:03 AM »

Cheesy OKAY Cheesy I DID IT! GAH FINALLY! lol see my original post!!!!!! I put in the measurements. Cheesy If that isn't enough help let me know and I will scan in my papers Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007 09:58:29 AM »

terrific. I was playing with the pictures you drew out and came up with darn near the exact numbers you did! Thank you again for all the work you put into sharing this with us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007 10:30:28 AM »

Thanks so much! I got a few request to make these for people who have to wear hard hats before I even made the first one, they were excited about them just by the description. I dont do much gift buying so this is a great way for me to say thanks to all of them. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007 11:07:00 AM »

Squee! I am so glad I could help! Cheesy They are great for under the hard hats! Cheesy look for new and better designs to follow Grin My dh has requested some with longer tails, his coworkers want one with and elastic back so there is no need for tying (and no need to damage their long manly locks Cheesy ) LOL Cheesy hahahaha and the kiddos ones are to follow as well! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007 07:43:21 PM »

Look ! Cheesy Here is one that I made for my girls Cheesy

Alright... What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007 03:12:10 AM by diannab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007 07:45:11 PM »

That is very cute! I'd wear those on bad hair days (which is 'bout every day for me:p), or in the summer when ya want the windows down and don't want to eat a bunch of hair while driving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007 07:57:34 PM »

Thanks Mienna! Cheesy LOL Thanks to Crafty Chef I think I am going to call these Dannas LOL Wink I love these things! Cheesy My girls adore them! Action shots to follow! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007 12:47:04 AM »

I SOOO want one.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007 03:12:44 AM »

For some reason, my link broke Sad But I fixed it! Cheesy Let me know if you guys experience any problems! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yogamanda
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007 09:39:40 AM »

This is great. My husband and I ride motorcycles. He is going to love this. I keep imagining all of the cute patterns I could use, I mean tough looking patterns Smiley for him
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007 10:19:29 AM »

Cute, I have been making these for years but mine has a band more for wearing under a motorcycle helmet. I think I like your non band version more and will have to give it a try.
Heres a link to the pattern i was using.
http://www.ridemyown.com/articles/other/pattern_doo-rag.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007 10:56:16 AM »

Thanks Diabolica! Cheesy Thanks for the link too! Some others might need it. Cheesy I like the non band look myself. Smiley And you can make it for so many different people. I have sold some to construction workers for wear under their hardhats, some ebay moms for coordinating their custom outfits, and for my own husband and children Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007 06:11:21 AM »

gotta admit I'm still getting the sizing wrong on this, I tried both versions as Matt likes the band to provide padding under his headscreen, fortunately he's quite patient *ahem* as for some reason I'm just NOT getting it right

ok, I went back to the machine and cut out again...this time in leftovers so no worries about it f'ing up ....and guess what? IT WORKED  Grin

sorry about the "paint" effect, its a mega ugly day and GAWD but I'm vain  Wink
off to make another one, or two or three now ......
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007 07:41:45 AM by ZaftigMomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007 08:15:54 AM »

Your tutorial is actually completely perfect for one of the projects I want to do for my current swap. Would you mind terribly if I used it for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007 09:02:02 AM »

I don't mind at all Grin All I ask is that people don't sell my creation, since I do Smiley hahahahahaha! Cheesy Have fun and please post pics. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007 09:05:03 AM »

I'm just working on a reversible one  Smiley plain black with a red loveheart applique one side and skulls on the other  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007 09:10:28 AM »

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007 09:37:08 AM »

Zaftig, I just noticed the pic of the one you made! LMAO I am such a hoser! Cheesy Thats great! I am sorry it took so many times Sad I hope the one I sent him works out okay, it's not banded. LOL Ohza well. Tongue Cheesy hahhaha great job! can't wait to see the reversible one! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007 09:51:31 AM »

he'll use the ones you made too simply because they were made espesh for him  Grin and he'll show off at work  Grin as soon as the reversible one is done I will show you,promise.... well not as soon but tomorrow for def!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007 10:02:30 AM »

YAY! Squee! Cheesy hahaha I feel loved Grin I can't wait to see the reversible one. I would like to know how you connect it so it looks neat. Cheesy Are you using a serger or your machine??? inquiring minds want to know Grin If you are making it with your serger how long is it taking to work one up now that you have the hang of it? Grin lol okay okay I will shut up now! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007 10:05:47 AM »

well i wouldn't actually say i have the hang of it yet LOL
its quite fast with the serger ....only I missed a few bits so theres little holes  Angry I'm going to topstitch with the regular machine anyway so that'll sort that problem out.
I just made 2 and fitted them togther right sides in, sewn around all the edges except for one side on the back tie and turned through. The ties are causing me headaches to turn though GRRRRR I forgot that I always struggle with fiddly bits like that

nearly finished though  Grin
it takes almost as long for me to turn the ties through as it did to sew the whole thing LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007 11:24:30 AM »

LOL Yes, I absolutely hate turning lil things  Undecided grrr
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007 11:10:56 PM »

Done and dusted  Grin pics will be on the blog until my swappie receives it and then if anyone else wants a lookie I'll post it here  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
R3n331
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2007 12:58:04 AM »

thats cool idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007 03:40:16 AM »

:::scrambles off to check blog:::: can't wait to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007 01:20:11 PM »

I'm really pleased with it, it has a few rough edages but...hey, ya know  Grin
Gonna make my dad one for his b'day, he'll be 63 in a week or so  Grin

there you go, my "love you to death" reversible 'dana  Smiley I wasn't going to post pics yet but what the heck...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 01:27:13 PM by ZaftigMomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007 01:55:04 PM »

WTH is right! Cheesy Awesome awesome awesome! Cheesy BRAVO!!!!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007 02:56:53 PM »

That's too cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retro-redux

spending way too much time on craftster since 2006

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007 03:25:40 PM »

dianna-would you be OK with the idea if I made some of these for charity?

I was thinking several groups I do charity crafts could befefit from these. Workers on Habitat for Humanity homes , cancer/chemo patients, and workers on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

A question-how much leeway does eachg hat have? If I make them for charity I won't have head sizes-do you think that will be a problem? There's not too much difference in adult head measurements is there?

TIA!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come be my craftster friend on my blog: http://www.myspace.com/retroredux

I succumbed to the Wist Darkside-here ya go:
http://www.wists.com/retro-redux

Break the chain: Spay or Neuter your pets
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007 04:57:30 PM »

No! I don't mind at all! Cheesy hahaha Wink I just don't want them sold for profit Grin Since I sell them Tongue LOL Cheesy hahahahaha You have a pretty good bit of leeway since my dh is just big headed !! Cheesy mwahahahahah boy am I glad he doesn't know how to get on here and care to look around  Shocked Roll Eyes Cheesy hahahahaha I would say to use maybe 50 cm as a rough guide, perhaps Cheesy I made the other ones smaller so they fit kiddos Grin you can always play around a good bit with it Grin One word to the wise though... knit fabric (as in cotton tshirt material) isn't a good idea...... When you try to tie it in the back it rips. Even if serged and fray checked.  Undecided Anyone have any thoughts on that??? LMAO Cheesy hahahahaha Good luck and member to post pics I love to see everyones creations Cheesy I am going to try OR hats next Grin mwahahaahahahahaha shouldn't be too hard they just look like a huge circle with elastic! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007 03:45:22 AM »

Dianna- I ended up not using it, because I ran out of time. But thanks for your willingness. And I will definitely be coming back to this one in the future-- it looks like it might stay on my head very well for hiking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007 06:08:29 AM »

Cheesy That is what my sis uses it for! Cheesy No problem. Wink Let me know how it turns out and if you would change anything about the directions. Grin lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katies1969

Where's Cana and why wasn't I invited?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007 06:51:57 AM »

Cute, I have been making these for years but mine has a band more for wearing under a motorcycle helmet. I think I like your non band version more and will have to give it a try.
okay dumb question - but I made this per the pattern and it didn't fit my 5 year old!  Are you supposed to make it bigger?  The pattern says "this will fit most ladies  - for men with larger heads you may have to enlarge accordingly."   I assumed SA was included since it's a pattern - was that not the case?  I would like to make this work and the idea seems like a great one - any ideas what I did wrong or if I missed the part that says to enlarge or whatever.  Thanks! Katie 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is pain, Your Highness,  anyone who tells you different is selling something."

"There are just some things a monkey can't explain to a weiner dog." CG

I Have a Wist - http://www.wists.com/katies1969/

http://www.katies1969.blogspot.com
Kookaloo_Starr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007 07:11:04 AM »

okay dumb question - but I made this per the pattern and it didn't fit my 5 year old!  Are you supposed to make it bigger?  The pattern says "this will fit most ladies  - for men with larger heads you may have to enlarge accordingly."   I assumed SA was included since it's a pattern - was that not the case?  I would like to make this work and the idea seems like a great one - any ideas what I did wrong or if I missed the part that says to enlarge or whatever.  Thanks! Katie 

I had the same problem Katie so I just added between 1 and 1.5cm all around, and made the tails longer.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007 07:12:38 AM by ZaftigMomma » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in '14
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Acne in Photoshop CS3
How to Remove Dark Circles Under Eyes and Wrinkles in Photoshop CS3
How to Remove Red Eye in Photoshop CS3
How to Rename a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Rename a Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...