A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bandana Thingy and Tute ;D hehehehehhehehehe image obese  (Read 7880 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« on: January 22, 2007 03:53:24 PM »

Okay so my husband wears the 'bandanna things' under his hard hat at work. We have a name for them but some people see it as offensive, so meh. Here it is:

Modeled by my lovely mannequin head because he doesn't want his pic taken Tongue LMAO Cheesy hehehehehehhehee

I made it outta scrap fabric that has 50's cars on it. He is into cars. Grin He wore it to work for the first time today and already has 5 guys wanting some!!!! eeeeeeeep! ehehhehe oh and I need to modify the pattern but will explain this as I go along! Cheesy

Soooooooooooooooooo to make one you need to cut a pattern similar to this:

but on the shaped part shorten it by about 1 inch or so (making it a less sharper curve. It needs to be a lil softer to avoid the duckbill Grin ), or on some people you get a duckbill affect. And that isn't what you want with these. Cheesy My pattern works great for hubby but not for anyone else. I made a new more versatile one but don't have pics up. I can try to give more details on the pattern if this is needed. Grin Just let me know! Cheesy

So choose a fabric, believe it or not you can use tshirt knit, or the stiff cotton (like the stuff at walmart or what quilters would use mostly ) This is great for stash busting! Cheesy

So cut out your fabric you want one of the long rectangles
and two shapes, but pay heed. Cut the shaped pattern out then flip it and cut again so you can cut a reverse of it. Cheesy Does that make sense? LOL tell me if it doesn't Cheesy

then stitch it together by putting one shaped side and the rectangle together by putting right sides together. Cheesy start sewing at the curved end because the rectangle shape that hangs off the back of the shaped pattern doesn't get sewn to the large rectangle. You leave it free because it protects the hair when someone ties the two sides together. Cheesy Keeps your hair away from the knot ! YAY! Cheesy hehehehehe and if you don't have a serger I suggest hemming that lil rectangle flap before assembling all the pieces together Grin. whew! I am longwinded as heck! Cheesy

So you get this with one side sewn on:

and once you add the other side it will stand more upright for you Grin:

This is a view of it on the back of the head: (untied)

Frontal view:

Tied view:

Okay, questions? Comments? Critiques?

Thanks for looking! Cheesy

* Please do not sell any creations from my tutorials. I have already been informed of issues Sad I share my work to keep others from having to buy something when they could easily do it. This saddens me greatly*

edit: Sorry it took so long guys! My life got in the way!!!! Cheesy Sad poh! Cheesy LOL SO here is a paint drawing with the measurement details:

Forgive my crude paint skills but the shapes you need will be like the paper and fabric shown earlier. Cheesy LOL  Give me a few days and I will post up here ones I made for my girls and alterations/maybe a diff pattern. Cheesy I haven't made them yet so I am unsure of the amount of alterations that may be needed. Grin I hope this helps!!! Let me know if you have any questions! Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 03:13:56 PM by diannab » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007 06:52:05 PM »

I like it! But, I'm not sure if I'm blind or not, but what are the measurements for your cut outs? Or does it really matter?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007 07:19:04 PM »

your istructions are very good. But I too wonder about the measurements. I have a son who is a welder and he could certainly use a few of these. Thanks so much for all the work you put into sharing this project! And big kudos to you on the orders for five more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007 10:25:52 PM »

Great stuff  Grin My beloved might actually stop maoning about me not making him one (or a dozen) now  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007 03:41:20 AM »

Thanks for all the great compliments guys! Cheesy Zaftig, he does have two on the way now. Grin hhheehheeheh. I will post a pic tonight with a corrected pattern and the tape by it so you can see it Grin It really is very straight forward!:D YOu guys will love how easily it goes together! 10 mins on the sewing machine (probably 2 on a serger lol) and PRESTO! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007 07:20:07 AM »

Awesome.... My lilgirl got one of these thingies (we dont have any name for it) and I love it. I wear it a lot and that really annoy her. I have been planning to sew one myself, so she can take hers and grump-a-long with it as much as she pleases.... Wink Now I dont have to figure out myself how its construct. Thanks alot! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
bethz0r
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 08:03:45 AM »

Hmm, I may have to try making a girly version... Biba made something quite similar... http://www.thebaglady.tv/2007/01/bibas_purple_pa.html which I was coveting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 08:10:21 AM »

Fantastic tut!  I'm definitely making this one... my daughter wears bandanas all the time and I think she'll love this... all the more because she can choose any fabric.  Way cool, thanks for sharing!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007 09:57:31 AM »

lol I am looking for my pattern so I can you my measurements, or I can tell you how I got my measurements--- lookie :

Okay Let's do measurement one first:
REMEMBER ADD FOR SEAM ALLOWANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
measure the length of your forehead (where you want the banada thingy to sit)  .okay write that down Grin you will add 4 inches to each piece this will form the protective tail and two ties.

Alright measurement two:
REMEMBER ADD FOR SEAM ALLOWANCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

measure from where the bandana will end (where I have the red lines drew) and measure where the two joining seams should be. I eyeballed mine. the rectangle was 6 inches wide for my dh.

this will give you your three pieces. I will go find my pattern pieces momentarily and measure them but I was trying to give you an idea on how to come up with measurements so you get a custom fit. Grin If you make some post them, I would love to see how this turns out Grin

I had never heard of the baglady til now! THanks for that site! Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 10:49:27 AM »

The bag lady site is fabo Cheesy I designed this for hubby so there was no need for the extra band Grin It would have put too much bulk under his hat. Grin I can't believe they are getting away with charging 70 for that.... LOL but then again I am big on DIY! And don't pay for a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Smiley Also, if anyone is interested I am up for personal swaps! Cheesy (Do note though I don't have a serger but do a felled seam ) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lynda Obst on Hollywood and Foreign Markets
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...