A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New York Craft Activists Unite at the NYC Grassroots Media Conference  (Read 435 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hilsbells
« on: February 07, 2007 11:11:14 AM »

Hello,

My name is Hilary - I'm an avid knitter/craftster and media activist by passion and trade.  I organize the annual NYC Grassroots Media Conference (NYCGMC) now in it's 4th year.  The annual conference is part of a continued effort to strategize how to create media systems that link diverse communities, connect local and international struggles and can fight for social change beyond the borders of our daily lived realities.

What has made me especially excited this year is that we are having a panel on activist knitting.  I really want to spread the word throughout the crafting community because I think it's just so darn cool.  Please help spread the word about the panel, and if you're in the neighborhood, please come.  More details are at www.nycgrassrootsmedia.org.  The workshop description is as follows:

Cat Mazza of microrevolt.org will lead a workshop entitled "Stitch For Senate".   

The collective microRevolt is launching Stitch for Senate, an initiative of knit hobbyists making helmet liners for every United States senator. While charitable knitting for soldiers during wartime has been a tradition since the American Revolution, the Stitch for Senate project focuses on supporting the troops by bringing them home. The helmet pattern was adapted from a support-the-troops project of knitting helmet liners for soldiers stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan. Repurposing this concept, Stitch for Senate upholds the anti-war sentiment reflected in the midterm elections and holds public officials responsible for representing the electorate when making policies about the war in Iraq. All the senators will receive their own helmet liner, which they can opt to forward to the troops.

The workshop will involve a short presentation and a knitting session where participants will discuss the project and learn the basic skills needed to knit the helmet pattern.

For a little more on the conference:
Over 250 local organizations and 3,000 people have already participated in NYC Grassroots Media Coalition events. The Fourth Annual NYCGMC, happening February 24th at the New School University in New York City, will offer over 40 panels on media policy, strategies for using media to forward social justice objectives and diy media making.  It will house an art exhibition and 8 hours of film screenings focused on international movements for social justice, political awareness and accountability.  The conference will also host a youth track of panels for its 300 participants under 18, including free lunch.  More details of the conference can be found at www.nycgrassrootsmedia.org.

Thanks so much,

Hilary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
WWJLD? Jared Leto Offers Hair Inspiration to Us All
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
The Best Hairstyles to Match Your Prom Dress
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
How to Make Your Hair Color Last
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...