A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitpicks Options... grrrr...  (Read 951 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arabella
« on: January 22, 2007 12:43:54 AM »

So I was all excited when I got Knitpicks Options set (the interchangeable circulars) thinking that this would cover most of my knitting needs!  Well, no.  Because they don't even produce a 16" cable, and as I like to make hats, that means I have to buy a bunch more circulars.  I called to ask if they were going to start selling one but the woman who answered the phone didn't know.  So frustrated!!   Wishing I bought the Denises instead!  thanks for letting me vent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nosyred
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007 06:10:31 AM »

I've just been magic looping my hats with the larger cable -- give that a shot?  (hey, it'll keep you from having to buy new needles . . . . )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betchka
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007 06:21:35 AM »

So I was all excited when I got Knitpicks Options set (the interchangeable circulars) thinking that this would cover most of my knitting needs!  Well, no.  Because they don't even produce a 16" cable, and as I like to make hats, that means I have to buy a bunch more circulars.  I called to ask if they were going to start selling one but the woman who answered the phone didn't know.  So frustrated!!   Wishing I bought the Denises instead!  thanks for letting me vent.

Most of my 16" circulars have the bottom of the  needles bent at a slight angle otherwise they wouldn't be able to reach--I'm guessing that's why they didnt' offer them. And yes--I second the magic loop suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnitsyBitsy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007 08:12:39 AM »

I too was a little disappointed that they didn't have any cables shorter than 24".  I emailed Knitpicks customer service and asked about them adding more cable lengths to their line.  Their answer was that yes, they do plan to add more lengths, as well as more needle sizes, but not in the immediate future because they have other product lines they're focusing on right now.  So I've learned to do magic loop knitting in the mean time because I really do love their needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erincatherine
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007 09:33:28 AM »

I'm knitting a hat right now (using magic loop -- highly recommended!) with the options circulars.  Has anyone had trouble with the needles coming unscrewed partway while you're knitting?  I found the little "lock" thingey to be useless. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sittenknitten
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007 11:13:56 AM »

My solution to the 16" problem is to use 2 circs: it's knitters' choice whether to do magic loop or 2 needles. Don't be intimated, either, both methods are pretty easy once you wrap your mind around them.  Cheesy And although I have 2 each of the 24" needles in the small sizes for sock knitting, you can actually make 2 circs with a single set of Options by using the size tip you need on one end and the next size smaller on the other end. You only need the correct needle size on the right hand.

I have a set of Denise needles too. Their 16" cord/tip combo can be a bit akward to use, since the length of the tips and the length of the cord are almost the same. You shouldn't feel like you made some huge mistake, they aren't perfect either (I like mine and will continue to use them along with the Options.)

I've had my Options needles for awhile (since they first came out) and so far only had one experience with a tip coming loose. It was, or course, one of the first times I used them and I didn't use the tightning tool. I noticed it before anything terrible happened because the yarn started snagging on the gap as the tip started to loosen, and it was easy to tighten it back up as soon as I noticed. It's my opinion that although it doesn't SEEM like using the tightening tool makes much of a difference, it REALLY does make a big difference. And FWIW, I found the smaller size paperclip will work just as well, so I keep a couple of bent paperclips in my knitting project bags so I always have something handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sittenknitten
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007 11:22:31 AM »

I had the same reservations about the options since I wanted to start a hat, but they are GREAT for everything else! I've never heard of the "magic loop" how fun sounding, I will have to look into it.

My needles came unscrewed a few times at first (not all the way). I used the tool and it made a huge difference. Plus I realized that I push on the needle in an unscrewing motion when I knit and have trained myself out of it (or am trying to).

I would highly recommend these to anyone who wants new needles. So sharp, so slippery, so great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.knitmoi.blogspot.com')

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
arabella
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007 12:05:42 PM »

thanks y'all!  that is really helpful.  I am a new knitter and have never used this "magic loop" technique, and have only heard about it used for socks.  I will do some investigation and see if I can figure it out.  magic loop means no need for dpns too, right?

I guess this means I didn't need to buy those Clover bamboo circs and dpns on joann.com last night...  oops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amey
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007 04:47:57 PM »

Have you emailed KP to ask about shorter cables?  The small diameter circs that you can buy separately come in the 16" length so they could theoretically make them available with the interchangeables.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
erincatherine
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007 05:09:37 PM »

as far as screwing the cables on, i tried using the little key thing, but maybe i wasn't doing it right?

i just stuck it in the hole and held that (instead of the cable) when i was screwing the needle on. 

i didn't think it would be too difficult...but maybe i'm missing something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put Together a Care Package for a Young Girl
How to Make Patch Throw Designs
A Step-By-Step Guide to Doing Your Own Applique
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...