A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Basic Cable Hat!!!  (Read 1799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

harual
« on: January 21, 2007 09:01:26 PM »

I'm new to knitting and so far all I've worked on are scarves.  I started the  Basic Cable hat this weekend from SnB nation. 
When I began I cast on the 96 stitches and repeated k1,p2 through the first 96 stitches (or first round?) and then just knit the next one.  I did this same thing 6 times so that I had went through the 96 stitches a total of twelve times.  It looked correct at that point, but when I began the K2,p2,k6,p2 pattern it looked wrong. 

I don't know if I'm making this harder than its supposed to be.  I started over and tried it exactly how the book says and it doesn't look right either. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  My heads getting cold.  : (

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prosaicproduce
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007 09:21:14 PM »

I know I've done this hat before but I don't have the book with me, I don't really remember the pattern. However, I think I know what you're talking about. The k1, p2 section is like the cuff of the hat. Are you using a marker? It's pretty easy if you have one when you're working in the round (assuming you're on circulars instead of dpns). If you're adding a row of just knit you wreck the ribbing. Just knit in the knits and purl in the purls (until the k2 p2 k6 p2 of course) and it'll be alright.

I hope that was helpful, I might've totally misunderstood your post. Sorry if that's the case. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harual
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007 09:29:22 PM »

That helps a bit.  I know my post was kind of confusing.  I tried it later by just k1,p2 for 6 rounds on my circular needles and then went to the larger size and began the k2,p2,k6,p2 each round but it doesn't look right.  The 6 stitches which i believe is supposed to be the cable part isn't becoming a stockinette stitch. 

I don't know if that is any clearer.  Thanks for the help.  I'll look at it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prosaicproduce
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007 09:52:51 PM »

Hrm, that's weird. What do the 6 stitches look like? Garter stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lana2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007 10:58:20 PM »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but this is how I did my Basic Cable:

After casting on 96 sts, I K1 P2 all the way around until I got to my marker that marked the beginning point.  Then I repeated this for a total of 9 rounds (the pattern calls for 6 rounds, but I went with 9). 

Then, using the larger needle, I K2 P2 K6 P2 all the way around, 5 times.  Then you do the cable all the way around ONCE.  Then back to the K2 P2 K6 P2 all the way around again, 5 times.  Rinse and repeat.

Does that make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harual
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007 06:35:47 AM »

prosaicproduce - All I know is that it isn't a stockinette stitch which is what I think its supposed to be. 

Lana 2 - Yeah that makes sense.  That's one of the things I tried but It doesn't look right. 

I think I need to make sure I'm doing the knits and purls right.  I'm pretty sure I was, but I'll try it again tonight and let you know.  Thanks for all your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harual
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007 05:30:01 PM »

So I re-knitted the first 12 rows.  And I double checked that I've been doing the knits and purls correctly.  Here is a picture.  Sorry that my camera isn't very good.  It still doesn't look right to me.  Is there something special I'm supposed to do with circular needles?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prosaicproduce
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007 05:59:39 PM »

It looks like there are ridges of purls on the cable, at least on the side that crosses in front. It's so hard to see what's up, but it looks like you might be working the cable section in garter stitch (knit one row then purl one row while working in the round)? It looks really nice besides that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harual
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007 06:22:06 PM »

are the cables supposed to have horizontal stitches through them?  i thought they were just supposed to be in a stockinette pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
prosaicproduce
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007 07:05:33 PM »

Yeah, they are. I just thought it looked in the picture that they weren't stockinette.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Design Week Columbus 2012
Waterfall Swing Designed in Brooklyn
Creating the Art of Pe Lang with Machines
What Makes Design Work Meaningful
Why Entrepreneurial Leadership Starts With Passion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...