A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Robin costume help?  (Read 1924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollimichele
« on: October 10, 2004 01:06:29 PM »

I bought the fabric today for my Robin costume-- as in "Batman and," not "Hood." I have a red skirt I'm going to hem shorter, and green tights, but I need to make the red tunic top with green sleeves, and the yellow cape, and I'm not sure where to begin.

The cape, especially, is confounding me-- I want it to have a collar, but I couldn't find a pattern and I don't want to start cutting fabric until I know what I'm doing. Should I model it off a shirt collar, or is there an easier way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stopmoshun
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004 09:25:26 PM »

You could always cut out a collar out of card board, not the refrigerator box kind, but the thick board kind, that you can get at craft supply stores. It should be thick enough so that its not floppy, but thin enough that you can curve it for a collar(think of it as really thick interfacing). I'm assuming that you want your collar to stick straight up?
So after you have your collar cut out, you could cut your fabric to fit around it, and leave enough space around it to sew it, or glue, and leave extra room at the bottom to attach to the rest of the cape.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollimichele
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004 02:29:31 PM »

Actually, I want it to look like a shirt collar, not an opera collar, but that still might come in handy. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themagnificentjess
bitch extraordinare

eccentric - a.k.a. crazy in a fun way

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004 03:55:18 PM »

oh man i wish i could draw on here... okay, when you cut out the cape, cut the neck area in a curve you know, gently rounded. for a collar, cut a long trapazoid, about two inches hiGH AND AS LONG AS THE NECK LINE OPS CAPS KY my bad.. hehe cut two collar pieces (interface also if you want it crisp) and sew them together and turn right side out so that it looks pretty and finished and then attach it to the rounded edge of the neckline by hand being sure to tuck the raw edges into the collar, it should fold and flop nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only abstinence you should teach.. is to abstain from voting for Sarah Palin.
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004 04:07:15 PM »

This past year, Robin was a girl in the comics (tim's gf, but she got fired).  You might want to check some recent back issue for ideas Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cruffins Are the Hottest New Food Trend
Baked Alaska With Gordon Ramsay
Kids Cook: Chocolate Chip Cookies
How to Make Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie Shots
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...