A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lou Reed bleach stencil  (Read 2330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amphigorey
« on: January 21, 2007 11:51:15 AM »

I made this Lou Reed shirt as a birthday gift for my sister. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but it wasn't the easiest stencil to work with. I had to go back and do a lot of areas without the stencil, like the eyes, mouth, and nose. It was also my first attempt at shading with bleach (I used a clorox bleach pen...pretty easy to work with).

I hope you all like it! And in case anyone wants the stencil, I forgot to save it  Sad but it's just the already stencil-like image from Transformer without the guitar and microphone...pretty easy to fix in paint.

Thanks for looking!

Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemon_yeye
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007 01:18:20 PM »

I <3 it!! That's perfect. I really like how does bleach in a black T-shirt. You made a very good job Smiley.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna rock!!
blackheathen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007 06:36:17 PM »

That looks great!!!!!!
Instantly recognisable too!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."
-Woody Allen
Amphigorey
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007 07:47:39 AM »

Thanks for the nice comments!! I like how the bleach works on black shirts also, I just have to decide what to stencil next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007 09:38:10 AM »

that looks AMAZING.  I want one.

how do you do shading with bleach?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amphigorey
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007 11:27:27 AM »

Well...I can't exactly remember what part of the process gave it the shading effect. It was either that I left the bleach on for less time and/or used a thinner coat. If I remember correctly, I left the cheek area (which is pretty much the only area I tried to shade) without bleach when I did the rest of his face. When the bleach was done working on the majority of the face, I put a light coat on the cheek area and when that was bleached to my satisfaction, I rinsed the whole thing.

The other areas that look shaded are pretty much where the bleach bled...I was going to define the lines better with a sharpie Smiley but my sister was happy with it as it was. The basic idea is that the bleach will take out more color the longer it's on although I'm not sure you can get too much variation...I'm still experimineting. Hope that helped!

*also, I used a bleach pen which is more of a gel than regular liquid bleach, so it's easier to control the degree of bleaching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kishcrafts
I can make almost anything out of polymer clay! :P

me and Kellan Lutz!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007 11:29:02 AM »

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I still sell my clay crafts...email me if you are interested in ordering something. kishcrafts@gmail.com
L_is_for_lobotomy
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007 03:00:13 PM »

thanks.  i'm going to have to give that a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
honeyspoon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007 05:46:33 PM »

Cheesy WOW! I made a stenciled t-shirt of this exact image for my boyfriend today except I used paint.  I also cut ot the mic and other details because I was worried I couldn't pull it off. I used cardstock which was hard to work with so I suggested we try it with freezer paper next time so I could add more detail. When he got home with the freezer paper I tried my first bleach stencil with a different image. I will post both of these later tonight if I get a chance. Anyway... just thought it was funny. You did wonderfully! Yours is much more detailed than mine.
UPDATE
OK... I posted some of my stencil stuff including the Transformer shirt. Hope you like it. Great minds think alike  Wink
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007 11:42:20 PM by honeyspoon - Reason: breaking up to the minute news » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xxxafterglow
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007 08:03:41 AM »

Looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rachel Kushner Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Grabbing at Water Book Trailer
Clockwork Angel Book Trailer
Meet Noveslit Ivo Stourton
Meet Dr. Mark Hyman
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...