A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
825 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: am i wasting my time? (mishapen scarf made w/ microspun)  (Read 1057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

a lie mute in rum
« on: January 20, 2007 10:31:36 PM »

sometimes i just can't help myself when i'm in the craft store.  last time i was there i bought two skeins of lion brand microspun... it is just so darn soft.

i started knitting a scarf (what else can you even really make with this stuff?), but it is looking kind of funky in a bad way.  (see images below.) 

so i'm wondering, is this curling permanent, or will it even out after it's been through the wash?  i know you can't block acrylic, but would a trip through the dryer make it better or worse?  should i even bother finishing this?

i've made a scarf with microspun once before, but it was on slightly larger needles and turned out okay.  here i'm using size 4 (3.25 mm).

here it is, smoothed out:

its natural state, knit side:

purl side:

thanks for any suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://jessicam.wordpress.com ... there's some craft hidden among the complaints.
have2craft
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007 10:38:53 PM »

The best way I've found to work with scarves in any yarn is not knitting in stockinette stitch.  I did one in Microspun w/ SS, and the only way I could get it to not roll was to put a backing of fabric on it.

As for what else to do with Microspun, I've made fingerless gloves and a Knitty's Calorimetry.  I love working with it b/c it's so soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
theresa24

You can never have enough yarn...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007 10:45:46 PM »

Sorry to tell you but its going to curl and its totally unblockable
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ailsika
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007 10:48:11 PM »

Sad.  Sad
It was starting out to be so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laceypooh

I've looked at clouds from both sides now..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007 10:50:00 PM »

this is from the new knit.1 and it calls for microspun:

just in case you wanted to do something other than a scarf
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to have fun. I want to shine like the sun. I want to be the one that you want to see. I want to knit you a sweater. I want to write you a love letter. I want to make you feel better. I want to make you feel free. --Joni Mitchell

http://laceyknitsandpearls.blogspot.com/
medstudentknitter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007 10:52:01 PM »

er, the only successful microspun items I've ever made were hats (already round so curling wasn't a problem) and the thneed.

It's a big object that took a long time to make and Everything bad that microspun can possibly do it did to me. Splitting, pilling, catching, tangling. I became convinced it was taunting me. Curling around wasn't a problem because it was all in the round, but all the edges that could curl did. I crocheted around to thicken flaps and keep them sturdy, but I'm not sure that would work on the scale of the long edge of an entire scarf.

I HATE HATE HATE this yarn but it's just too darn useful to dismiss out of hand. Whatever evils it may commit it is affordable, supersoft, and washable. There are just too many children in need and chemo patients who need hats to throw it out the window--- much as I want to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
djinnj
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007 03:07:12 AM »

It's the nature of stockinette to curl.  A border, such as you've done, can help but it's often not enough to prevent curling if the fabric is closely knit.  The tighter the gauge, the more tightly the item will curl, also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007 08:00:17 AM »

If you're dead set on a scarf, you could do ribbing, or moss stitch (seed stitch?  I don't know what the difference is...) because those will lay flat.  Or you could do cables!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007 08:09:36 AM »

Well, I've got 2 microspun projects going, a cabled scarf for the hubby, and a Razor cami for myself. The cami is actually a third try, but I already noticed in version 2 that microspun knit in the round doesn't curl. The cabled scarf curls like the devil though, and so does a wrap I made for myself with the stuff. I did wet-block it, that is hand wash and pinned it out to dry, and it helped a little. Does  still curl quite a bit though...

I must add that I absolutely love the softness for the price though, I don't have a great LYS near me, so the fact that Micheal's carries it (for cheap!) makes me very happy! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a lie mute in rum
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007 11:27:59 AM »

thanks for all the help, everyone!

i had a feeling this was going to be a permanent problem...  i swear, microspun is the devil.  so soft and tempting, but then as soon as i touch it with my less-than-smooth fingers, it comes apart.  it would be nice if i could reuse the yarn i've already knitted, but i know that would be a disaster.

i wanted to make a nice looking scarf in stockinette, but its not breaking my heart to give it up.  and now that i think about it, the other scarf i made with microspun was done in garter stitch, so that's why it turned out.

before this scarf, i did one fingerless glove, or maybe it would be better to call it a wristwarmer with a tipless thumb.  it was just a practice thing but it actually looks really nice, and i enjoy working on dpns, so i think what i'll do is scrap the scarf and make some longer fingerless armwarmers.  they would look super nice with a cable too... it's my absolute first try cabling so wish me luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://jessicam.wordpress.com ... there's some craft hidden among the complaints.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Facial Recognition?
How Much Zoom Do I Need?
What is the Aspect Ratio setting on a Digital Cam?
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
High Resolution Photography Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...