A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy Wings Tutorial – IMAGE HEAVY!!!!!!  (Read 20935 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NLJ
« on: January 20, 2007 07:31:48 AM »

Here is the start of a tutorial.  I’ll add more photos after I take more pictures.

Start with 14 gauge wire.  You can buy it in a package of 100ft for around $5.00 at Homedepot.  I used the preformed coil as my pattern to make simple wing shapes.

Cut a piece of wire that is about 3” or 4” bigger than the circumference of the circle.

Find the point on the wire where the two sides would meet to form a circle.  You should have a 1 ½” to 2” tail on each end and with your pliers bend each tail to form a 90 degree angle.

Twist the two ends together.  To make the ends lay flatter you could use electrical tape at this point and tape the ends together instead of twisting them together.

Here is one basic circle shaped wing.

To make a pointy wing, just pull out the top of the wing to a point.

Next you have to wrap the wings with panty hose.  I used knee highs that I found at Walmart. I used ivory knee highs but I think the nude ones would be OK too.  They were sold for 4 pair for $1.  Good price when you have to make 14 sets of wings and each set need 6 wing pieces!!!

Pull the knee high over the wire form and try to keep the seam close to the wire.  Pull the knee high tight and twist it around the base of the wing all the way down the wire form.

Use electrical tape to secure the knee high.  I found it was easiest if I held the tape between my knees and wrapped it around the end of the wing.  I then just twisted the wing so the tape would wrap all the way down the end.  Cut of tape and excess knee high.

I used spray paint on the wings.  It gave me a much smoother coverage than acrylic paint and it was really fast.  The inside was a buttercream color and the out side edge was raspberry.  Make sure you spray paint the edges and do both sides. 

You can use a lot of things to decorate the wings: glitter, gems, and dimensional paint.  I would suggest using a fine glitter and applying it right after you spray painted, so the paint acts as the glue.  You can even use a wood burning tool or an incense stick to burn holes in the nylons.  I made a pattern on a piece of paper for each wing shape.  I placed the wing on top of the pattern and used dimensional glitter paint to make swirls.  Make sure you do a mirror image of your pattern on your wing sets so the pattern is going the right way.  Once your paint dries you can do the back of the wings or just leave them plain.

Arrange each wing piece and bend the ends so all of the ends will lay flat.  Use the electrical tape and to secure all of the wings together.  Bend each wing out a little bit to give the wings dimension.

I spray painted the tape to if any of it showed it would match the wings.  Next use ribbon and wrap it around the tape to hide it.  Secure the ribbon with hot glue and craft glue.  The craft glue will give it a strong hold, and the hot glue will hold it in place while the craft glue dries.

Cut two lengths of elastic about 16”each.  Over lap the ends about 1/2” and form a loop.  Sew the ends together using a zigzag stitch on a sewing machine or sew them by hand.  Place the elastics over the wings and have the seams lay on the center section and facing out.  The seams will be covered up with flowers later.  Secure the elastic with craft glue so they will not pull off.  Decorate the center of the wings with ribbons.  Use the craft glue and hot glue technique to make sure the ribbons are secure.  Cover up all of the seams with artificial flowers.  To make the flowers lay flatter, cut of the plastic ends but not all the way so the flower stays together.

Now have your little one enjoy the wings!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty in Pink
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007 07:43:14 AM »

I'm so tempted to make these for the flowergirls at my wedding later on this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_am_138
Sew Vicious

Sew Vicious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007 08:37:17 AM »

I've never seen them done this way. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007 09:31:04 AM »

wow wow wow! thanks for the tute! they are awesome looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Rowdy Vamp Raquel
Sewing till the death...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007 10:36:17 AM »

I've always wondered how all the people made them. This is really cool, might come in handy one day. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

micky_mouse
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007 10:40:07 AM »

those are so pretty colorful and this best wings i have saw lately....i found two wings today but not as good as this i want those hmmm another thing to add to my list it just gets bigger and bigger
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weberly
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007 10:55:56 AM »

I'm so tempted to make these for the flowergirls at my wedding later on this year.

Oh please do it, that would be so great, another perfect use for fairy wings!
i just got the cutest Earth Spirit sandals for 5 bucks at walmart, white and silver leaves (my daughter said those are Tink's shoes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maii
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007 06:26:33 PM »

THANKS!!! for the tut. i was planning to do my daughter party of thinkerbell but   i think is kinda thrilled, this is more original, can't wait to start planning and doing the wings!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rented_angel
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007 10:07:06 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley   Those are just way too cute.

elizabeth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Constant Dreamer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 06:17:26 AM »

I have never seen these made without using wire hangers. Thank you for thinking outside the box. Beautiful wings! We'll be making some at our house for the next Renn Faire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katie Kitamura Talks About The Longshot
Catherine Hickland Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Julia Gregson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...