A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
325 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese Crochet book recommedation  (Read 9880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007 11:21:12 AM »

Well, I didn't get it finished yesterday like I planned, but at least I did finish my FIRST swatch!! Yay! It isn't perfect- I have troubles on the edges and I can't seem to master the art of crocheting into a chain, but it looks pretty decent otherwise. I think I may back it with a bit of fabric and turn it into a little coin purse or pouch for a friend of mine (birthday).

It is #036 and I used #3 crochet cotton and a 3.5mm hook...I had to scan it on a piece of felt because my scanner was going all wonky on me when I didn't!

And, I just realized that the swatch is upside down...so if you look at the book, the top of my swatch is the bottom of the pattern... Grin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007 04:51:49 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
rina
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007 06:02:28 PM »

Hey, that looks really cool!  I"m impressed you can use crochet thread.  I'm a total wuss about using thread.  Here are my swatches in worsted weight yarns, both with a 5.5mm hook.

#141 #51

I did these and then realized they're very similar patterns.  Next time I'll try something different, or maybe try color changes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007 07:17:42 PM »

rina and IamSusie- I love your swatches! Now, I just need to wrap my head around increasing the width of the chart so I can make something besides a little square! I think that if I increase by multiples of the number of chains printed below the chart (the number followed by the symbol that looks like a little ladder) I should be able to make a wider piece. It'll have to be squares or rectangles only, though- I don't think I'll ever figure out how to decrease!

rina, it's funny about the crochet thread- it's pretty easy to work with, which I didn't expect. It is pretty tight, and it doesn't split like some other yarns can. It slides nicely over the hook, too. I've never made anything major out of it (a finger puppet body, trim on a pair of socks), so I don't know how it would be to work with for a large project. But you should try it if you haven't, and if you have, you should give it another chance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
sammimag
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007 10:05:31 AM »

I splurged and ordered the 300 Stitch Book. It will be my first Japanese crochet book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007 10:50:12 AM »

so if you didn't know japanese they have charts in the books to follow? I am dying to try some of the patterns i have seen others make but i am afraid once i buy the book i won't be able to follow it, is it easy to follow guys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rina
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007 11:25:05 AM »

The 300 patterns book shows patterns exclusively in stitch diagrams and pics.  The only Japanese is a little notation below each diagram that says how many stitches per pattern repeat, but that's really obvious to figure out.  The stitch symbols are exactly the same as the ones you see in books here; and they're explained graphically in the back of the book.  If you're comfortable with symbols, it should be easy to follow.  I personally find it much easier to follow than text. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007 01:19:33 PM »

Uh, oh....  I feel an urge coming on to buy another Japanese crochet book!   Roll Eyes I'm not usually into granny squares but there are some really fun Japanese books for accessories and household goods with g-squares and motifs.  This is getting addictive.  At least they're not too expensive, most of the books run around $12.  I've always been resistant to the pull of cute Japanese pop culture, but now I'm getting sucked in! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lucy_Stardust
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007 02:58:12 PM »

thank you rina i think i will buy one and give it a try Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007 05:46:35 PM »

I know what you mean, rina.

Have you seen this book?  This is the one that is tempting me:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/code-j/section-books/pid-1004494955/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2007 06:12:34 PM »

I haven't seen that one in particular; there's another one w/ 200 motifs.  The one in the link looks really neat.  I'll have to put that on my wishlist. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Before Watchmen the Comedia
Saint Jude Film
T.C. Boyle on Incorporating Environmentalism in Art
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...