A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Japanese Crochet book recommedation  (Read 9365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007 06:15:22 PM »

Yay! My book arrived yesterday and it was my bedtime "reading!" I just have a question- are the symbols "universal"? I have another book of symbol patterns and I want to make sure that the symbols in both books stand for the same stitches. I can't find the other book that I have, so I can't look them up.

I want to assume, "D'uh! That's the whole reason we use symbols because they mean the same thing everywhere!" but there is that whole British terminology vs American terminology thing. So, if a symbol stands for a "treble" is that the British meaning or the American meaning?

I'm a bit tired right now (hmmmm...must've stayed up too late checking out my new book), so I don't know if I've explained my confusion very well...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
rina
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007 10:45:26 PM »

That's great!  Hope you're enjoying the patterns.  I've been relishing mine. 

Yes, the symbols are universal.  That is, when you see a T with one dash across it, it represents what we call double crochet in the US and treble crochet in the UK.  An x is single crochet US/slip stitch UK.  The ones in that book are the same as any you'll find elsewhere.  If you find any tricky ones, there's a table in the back that tells you what each symbol stands for. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
penguino
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007 11:54:49 PM »

Rina- have you ever been to the Kinokuniya in San Jose?  I'm sure it's not as good as the SF location, but would be a little closer to me.

San Jose store is ok.  Last time I was there.  They don't have a lot of craft books.  But one time I went and they have quite a bit.  It seems that their stock fluctrate a lot. 

They have all the craft book together.  Don't really have english labels/index on the shelves.  I just pull out books and look at the tape until I find something interesting.

BTW the Seattle Kinokuniya is great.  Tons of craft books and they have english labels on the bookshelves.  And is next to a big Japanese grocery and lots of asian food stalls/restaurants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007 06:53:36 AM »

Thanks, rina! That's what I figured/hoped, but it's good to have a confirmation of that!

I have to hit the craft store this afternoon, so I may try to find some decent yarn to try out a couple of swatches. If I get anything done that looks halfway decent, I'll post it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007 07:08:10 AM »

I got a baby crochet pattern book from the library and all the patterns are the standard type.  I used to be able to do these easily, but I got so confused, I gave up on the cute little socks I was going to do.  I did manage to make a good little hat.  Charted crochet is so much better!

One day I'll get out to Seattle and go to that big Kinokuniya.  Ours in Chicago is mostly the grocery and one big food stall.

I'm itching to make another swatch with my cheap acrylic. I'll post later.  I find that all of my japanese crochet books always have an illustrated section of how to do each stitch including hdc's, dc's, cluster stitches and even those ones you do around the post. 

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but when you get to the really long stitches like the triple and the double triple, the number of slash marks on the symbol on your pattern is the number of times you yarn over your hook at the beginning of that stitch.  Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007 10:39:20 AM »

Thanks Smiley  I just went to the yesasia link and added the book to my cart.  Then I couldn't resist browsing around some more.  My order will be over $100 if I go to checkout!  Could I justify that as a Valentines gift? Smiley  Hmmm.......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007 10:45:05 AM »

Just think how many books you get for the money! Happy Valentines Day!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007 01:29:36 PM »

I don't know why I didn't notice this before, but when you get to the really long stitches like the triple and the double triple, the number of slash marks on the symbol on your pattern is the number of times you yarn over your hook at the beginning of that stitch.  Does that make sense?

Well, I'm glad you noticed and posted it! It makes perfect sense to me! Now I don't have to dig out my other book to find out what the codes mean. Between this tidbit of info and the "how to" section in the back, I should be able to try something this weekend! Of course, did forget to get some practice yarn to play with when I stopped at the store on my way home! But, I do have a bunch of yarn around here...but I may have time to swing back by the store on my way out again...I'll just have to see how it goes...

Tomorrow, I will make my first swatch, no matter what!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rina
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007 06:58:45 PM »

Tomorrow, I will make my first swatch, no matter what!

You've inspired me.  I'll do one too!  Certainly have enough yarn lying around...

BTW, folks who have the book:  did you notice that a lot of the pics are in yarn, not just thread?  And different kinds--worsted, sport, fuzzy mohair.  Really like that about this book.  Yes, it's harder to see the individual stitches, but at least you know what the pattern looks like in real yarn. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007 07:00:40 PM by rina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
IamSusie
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007 08:19:33 AM »

I swatched two other patterns yesterday.  The sun is out and my camera revealed itself after hiding yesterday. 
This one is #266:

Here is my attempt at #278.  I was very close to getting the hang of it, but I decided it was too difficult for me:

The only thing I have to get used to is that I have to remember that the patterns go back and forth.   Mostly I've done charts that are in the round, so you always go in the same direction.  Once I get going in the pattern though, I seem to get used to it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007 11:10:14 AM by IamSusie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Art from Seeds
How to Create Living Holiday Decor
How to Create Rock Star Holiday Centerpiece Decor
How to Make a Teddy Bear Out of Old Clothes
How to Make a Star of David Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...