A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,093
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitter, yarn prices and snooty local yarn shops  (Read 9230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenna_alive
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2007 06:17:09 PM »

I prefer not to use wool for myself because it itches.  and itches and itches and oh my god stop the itching.  I don't mind knitting with it, or maybe using it for outerwear, but I will not use wool for sweaters for myself.  I just won't. 

Yes, this.  Yes, yes, yes.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty114
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2007 04:59:36 AM »

I also recommend Knitpicks, Elann. I have purchased from both.  I went to my  local yarn shop for a yarn swift and fell in love with berroco's  ultra alpaca yan and bought 4 skeins enough for knitty's cozy, I ordered enough yarn from knitpicks for 3 projects since the pricyest thing on line is shipping charges ..I wish  more  yarn sites did this. Order the catalogue from the website and plan accordingly. Knitty is a great place to find wonderful patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2007 10:51:31 AM »

While i love online yarn (such as knitpicks <3, and elann) i enjoy actually being around the yarn and being able to touch and compare colors in a yarn store. Personally, unless the owers/staff refused the let me buy things, i wouldn't care about the atomsphere of the shop. Also, i've never needed to ask questions because theres the lovely thing called the internet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna_alive
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2007 02:47:42 PM »

Also, i've never needed to ask questions because theres the lovely thing called the internet.

Hahah, try this on car salesmen, especially if you're a woman.  I knew more about the car I was buying than the guy selling it to me, and man did it rattle his cage.  As a result, I got an amazing deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2007 03:11:47 PM »

maybe it's because i'm ignorant about yarn quality, but i've never spent over five bucks on a skein of yarn - most of the time i use lions brand, and it works just dandy for everything i've done so far. 

as for the snooty woman, i would not give her any more of my business.  as bad as it sounds, you can get yarn at a chain store (joanns, michaels, even wal-mart) for much cheaper and most of the time you won't have to talk to anyone.  ...unless they ask what you're planning on making, but 100% of the times this has been asked of me, it's been with geniuine curiousity and/or excitement.

you could also look at dollar stores - my local dollar tree recently had a huge bin of boucle in nice colors for a buck a skein. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
SpecialKRJ

I want so much more than they've got planned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2010 10:53:47 PM »

Oh, lordy. I remember the days when the five-buck-a-pound balls of acrylic from Walmart were all I knew. Then I had to get some handspun from the phat fiber package, and then I ventured to a LYS and bought a couple balls of lovely soft-spun wool singles. And then I made the mistake of knitting with it. I swear, the feeling of that yarn running over my fingers while I knit was like the taste of good chocolate. I loved it so much that when I was out of the yarn, I considered frogging part of the scarf to knit it again.

And then I made a little stuffed toy for my dad out of pure cotton, and a little cat toy out of acrylic, and it's like going back to hershey's bars. Sad

On the other hand, when I was getting the yarn for my friend's last-minute arm warmers, JoAnn's didn't have any of their nicer yarns in dark purple, and I didn't really want to spend time dying something since I'm already in a hurry. So, I grabbed a ball of Vanna's Choice. The yarn's 100% acrylic, and it's not the most luxurious fabric ever, but it's not horrible. But it was cheap and, while it's not the snuggly soft dream that the expensive yarns with the really good quality fibers are, it's not bad.

Long story short: Expensive yarns are mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamma3monkeys
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2010 03:03:45 PM »

Most of my yarn is acrylic. I still consider myself a beginner and on a tight budget, I can't leave a sale without buying SOMETHING. So if people poopoo me because of that, whatever. At least I can frog and not have to cut, fret, etc. It's an excellent yarn to start with.

Acrylic is also a blessing (when it's soft enough) because some people are allergic to certain animal or plant fibers and this is hypoallergenic.

But I've been slowly changing my mind with certain brands because it's so rough that the part of my hand that controls the yarn is getting irritated by the harshness, I swear they are callousing up! Plus, I got a lot of older baby blankets and they all feel so rough - can't use them as baby blankets any more that's for sure. I can't use fabric softeners as I'm allergic to them so if I wash up something and it's rough - I can't help but give it away to someone else who appreciates it and can do the whole softener stuff.  (I did learn a lesson though on using dish soap for a quick cleanup - hot cocoa anyone? it ended up stiff and rough and I gave the scarf to my sis who made it soften up and wears it a lot!)

I'm tending to lean away from acrylic also because it squeaks incessantly against my needles and if my hands are a tiny bit wet they have a tendency to stick to the needles and I just can't knit/crochet that way!

I can admit that if I had the choice and money to buy the more expensive stuff, I would! But I can't and I worked my bum of to learn how to knit and crochet on my own, who cares if it was on acrylic or not! lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010 03:22:36 PM by mamma3monkeys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
andybear
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010 01:57:48 PM »

High quality yarn is expensive but I'm an artist myself and am a sucker for anything hand spun and dyed so yes it's going to cost a lot due to the time commitment. On the other hand some yarns are just over priced. I also refuse to buy anything acrylic or thats not a natural fibre but it can be an expensive hobby. Yarn.com is the best site i've found (I'm from Canada)(and live in the boonies lol).

I've gotten the snooty looks more than once, no one expects a 20 year old inquiring about yarn but that's just too bad because I have found some excellent, tiny shops with wonderful staff and just wont return to the others.

Hopefully its not too discouraging because there are good shops out there, if not stick to the internet or michaels/joanns if you're not too picky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010 03:04:56 PM »

I have been knitting for 5 years and have never been to my LYS, mainly because I'm cheap.  I buy my yarn at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Joanns.  Some people say that "bad" yarn is acrylic, but there are some acrylic yarns that I really like.  You can also find some really nice blends with wool, bamboo, alpaca, etc. at these chain stores that feel great, but cost less because the fiber is not 100%.  When I want to get really nice yarn, I go to ebay.  I got an amazing deal on some bamboo yarn there that was absolutely amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010 03:51:37 PM »

I'd much rather knit with soft washable acrylics than rough wool that needs to be hand washed. I do buy some lace and fingering weight yarn from Knitpicks, but that's going for shawls that would be somewhat handwashed only occasionally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Shutter Priority (Tv) Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Image Quality/Resolution Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Program Mode (P)
Canon XSi/450D: Set Mirror Lockup
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Mode (M)
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...