A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
869 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glove pricing?  (Read 500 times)
Tags for this thread: pricing  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwydion
« on: January 19, 2007 08:03:36 AM »

My husband and I are arguing about this and I thought you more business-savvy types could give me some feedback. 

I made myself some crocheted fingerless gloves.  No fancy stitchwork: just ribbed cuffs with the main part of the glove done in hdc, all one piece, worked in the round.  Of course, you can get endless variations by changing types of yarn or working in a carrier yarn.  And a lot of people have asked me to make them similar gloves.

I'm charging $12 per pair, since they don't use much yarn (unless, of course, someone requests a VERY expensive yarn).  My husband thinks this is way too low, but I think it's reasonable given the lack of complexity, and it really doesn't take too long to make a pair in worsted-weight yarn. 

What do you think is a good price point?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
saralynne
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007 08:12:51 AM »

I agree with you, I think $12 is a good price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyPirateGirl

The Craftsters made me do it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007 08:18:09 AM »

I can't really speak to what handmade fingerless gloves retail for, but I can tell you from my experience selling other handmade items that the minimum price you should charge is the amount at which you don't resent agreeing to do the job.  If you're charging $12 and you're happy to do the work at that price, then it's fine.  If you kind of dread it when someone asks you to make a pair because it takes up your time and you only have $12 to show for it, then raise your price.  Don't be afraid to charge a price that you're comfortable with (for materials AND labor) because underpricing can quickly turn a fun and potentially profitable hobby into drudgery.

Another option, since it definitely sounds like you are not trying to make a living off selling gloves, is to barter with your crafty friends for items of similar value.  That way, no one has to feel uncomfortable about money and you get a fair value for your product.

For what it's worth, your husband must think that you do beautiful work if he's concerned that you don't receive enough compensation for it.  Smiley

Pricing can be a tough thing for anyone.  I wish you luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting apparel and gifts at www.CraftingShirts. com

You can see the rest of my web-based work at www.OuterMonologue. com and www.PiratesCloset.c om.

*** Out of pocket for a while to move into our new house!  I'll try to check in periodically. : )  Ciao! ***
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007 08:23:02 AM »

I hardly ever use this phrase. BUT "your husband is right."
$12 is way too low.

$25 a pair is more than reasonable -- if only because uncrafty folks need to learn to respect EVERYBODY's handmade work.

Of course it's OK to work for fun. But why not work for fun AND money? If only to support your own habit.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
Gwydion
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007 08:54:22 AM »

Hmm, well, maybe I should compromise with him.  Smiley

Everyone I've made gloves for thus far has been a friend, acquaintance or relative, so the price tag has been intended more to remind them that I actually have time and materials involved, rather than to make a profit.  (Because, much as I like these people, there are always one or two who make excessive requests, and the price tag, while minimal, keeps them in line).

But I was thinking about making up several pairs to sell at the next craft show, which actually does have a fairly well-heeled clientele, so a higher price tag would probably be in order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled and Boiled Corn on the Cob Recipes
Boston Butt Steak Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
How to Make Eggs Over Easy and Sunny Side Up
Chilled Broccoli Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...